Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Banned

Default Float the Bow.

I was thinking about a little adventure for me and my Son. Anyone ever floated from 22x down to Carsland wier? I am thinking of doing a over night type thing and do some extremely basic camping on a island at some point. Fishing rods will be coming and we know perhaps less than zero about fishing the Bow.

Packing along a light sleeping bag each and frying pan. Keep it simple, sleep under the stars or just a tarp. Any thoughts or suggestions for such a trip?

We were thinking a trial run with a float from 22x to Policemans flats as well.

Thanks guys.

Jamie
Old 07-16-2019, 08:04 PM

Learn the river LONG before you head out.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Big river, but she can get shallow! Like 4" shallow. Been quite a few years, but I floated it at least a dozen times in a 14' inflatable. Would get so shallow I'd have to walk it through. Then two minutes later, white water rapids. Some spots on that river are maybe 30' deep as well, only based on dropping a line down. Be prepared! Every time seemed to be different and unpredictable
Old 07-16-2019, 08:43 PM

I should have asked, what are you floating in, and how old is your son? I've done it enough to never completely feel safe...
Old 07-16-2019, 09:09 PM

I'd want a minimum of a tarp under me due to the goose turds on some of those islands but would prefer a basic tent setup. If the mosquitos are out, they can be miserable. As others have stated, learn the river a bit if you can. A good guide you can find at the library is https://paddlealberta.org/product/ma...erta-paddlers/. Photocopy the pages you need for the Bow and go from there. Check in with the local fly shops as well. They will have the current beta on river flows and hazards. Sounds like a sweet trip!
Old 07-16-2019, 09:17 PM

If the river is high there might not even be a island, and could be scary. Not sure on the river conditions though.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:17 PM

Totally missed the sleeping aspect. Grab a cheap arse two or 4 man tent if you have to. A pop up might suit your needs. They really aren't that big. You do not want to be exposed like that. It will ruin your experience.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:28 PM

I think a trial run from Fish creek to Policemen is a great idea

For your two day trip I would suggest Policeman to some where near Mackinnion Flats and the Mackinnion to Caresland

River is really high today better off in August

a flat bottom boat is a must

PM me if you want Ive done the float many times with a 14 foot flat bottom

one must be very careful still as some large rocks can be lurking just under the water and hitting one would provide excitement you don't need

Good luck
Old 07-16-2019, 09:31 PM

I would think Fish Creek would be a better initial run to be honest. Police is a difficult boat launch to get into to get your boat out if you are new to the Bow.

Wait for the water to drop before you go. There are some good islands to camp out on. Check your regs if you were thinking of retaining fish for the fry pan.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 PM

I know it's not the Bow, but I was at the Red Deer River on the weekend, and was kinda surprised at how fast it was moving. Don't know how old your son is, and I also don't know how fast the Bow is moving (would suspect it would be faster than the RDR due to it's proximity to the mountains?), but as others have stated, I would likely hold off for a bit.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I know it's not the Bow, but I was at the Red Deer River on the weekend, and was kinda surprised at how fast it was moving. Don't know how old your son is, and I also don't know how fast the Bow is moving (would suspect it would be faster than the RDR due to it's proximity to the mountains?), but as others have stated, I would likely hold off for a bit.
Trochu. Willy is 18 in August.

As for timing, yes, that bow is really moving I was thinking some time in early August. Some good info here guys.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 AM

Floated it in early August 1987.lol

Ran a pick-up vehicle to McKinnon Flats early that morning and drove back and launched from under the bridge on 22X near Sikome Lake.
Float took longer than one would think and we arrived McKinnon just before dark, but we stopped to shore fish pretty often.

Had to get out and walk/pull through a few shallow sections, but we were poor boying a 14ft Lund
Old 07-17-2019, 10:38 AM

The Bow is a really tame and easy float. You can run anything from a Zodiac canoe, kayak or 14 FT tinner. Hell, people even float that whole way on $20 CT rubber rafts. Like any river, water volume and speed are the greatest variables. Low water you may have to traverse some shallow spots if you get out of the main channel, if you stick to the main flow it has to be REALLY low before you need to walk a boat. High water the fishing isn't usually all that good but it does make the float a bunch faster. There is very little for rapids sections and they are really tame, even for novice boaters. It does help if you can read a river a bit but there are no white water parts that cannot be avoided and higher flow rates actually make for less white water. There are lots of islands that will be available for camping even with high water, if the water is so high all the islands are gone you won't be floating it anyhow.

If you can afford $500, take a guided float boat trip with your son for the first one. You will catch more fish, learn a tremendous amount about the river and have a first class experience. They have the rods, flys and everything else you will need. Got to the point where we used a guide most any time we went. That way both of you can fish full time as he drives the boat, the guides are on the river every day, know exactly where the fish are and what they are biting on and drift boats are a pretty comfortable way to float down the river. They also organise the drop off and pick up. Best of luck and have a great time.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The Bow is a really tame and easy float. You can run anything from a Zodiac canoe, kayak or 14 FT tinner. Hell, people even float that whole way on $20 CT rubber rafts. Like any river, water volume and speed are the greatest variables. Low water you may have to traverse some shallow spots if you get out of the main channel, if you stick to the main flow it has to be REALLY low before you need to walk a boat. High water the fishing isn't usually all that good but it does make the float a bunch faster. There is very little for rapids sections and they are really tame, even for novice boaters. It does help if you can read a river a bit but there are no white water parts that cannot be avoided and higher flow rates actually make for less white water. There are lots of islands that will be available for camping even with high water, if the water is so high all the islands are gone you won't be floating it anyhow.

If you can afford $500, take a guided float boat trip with your son for the first one. You will catch more fish, learn a tremendous amount about the river and have a first class experience. They have the rods, flys and everything else you will need. Got to the point where we used a guide most any time we went. That way both of you can fish full time as he drives the boat, the guides are on the river every day, know exactly where the fish are and what they are biting on and drift boats are a pretty comfortable way to float down the river. They also organise the drop off and pick up. Best of luck and have a great time.
I think the water in the Calgary area is easy. I see people with Flamingo type air boats floating down. I just was not sure what it would be like after Calgary. Fishing here would be secondary. More a adventure than anything. Some time to get him pinned in the boat and talking. His life has been so busy the last few months that some Dad/Son time is in order. I think a small adventure is what is called for here. If you guys were just fishing from some island in the middle with spin rods what would you use? I assume we are looking for eddies but what small handful of lures would you bring just to say you went fishing?
Old 07-17-2019, 03:01 PM

I think Dean2's advice is good; I've floated various parts of the the Bow between Calgary\Mckinnon\Legacy Island\Carseland quite a bit the past few years in an inflatable. A little bit of common sense goes a long way, pay attention in the corners as there's a few choppy sections after some corners and you can get pushed onto shore or downed trees, and other boats if you aren't paying attention. River conditions\speed vary depending on the time of year, etc.

Trial float would probably be a good idea, if the water clarity is good you should be able to do well spin casting. Panther Martin, Mepps, etc should all work
Old 07-17-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I think the water in the Calgary area is easy. I see people with Flamingo type air boats floating down. I just was not sure what it would be like after Calgary. Fishing here would be secondary. More a adventure than anything. Some time to get him pinned in the boat and talking. His life has been so busy the last few months that some Dad/Son time is in order. I think a small adventure is what is called for here. If you guys were just fishing from some island in the middle with spin rods what would you use? I assume we are looking for eddies but what small handful of lures would you bring just to say you went fishing?
Panther martins and mepps, but they don't cast too well. Then you're looking into adding weights etc.
I've had best success with slim minnow style Rapalas. More specifically, countdown model. CD5, CD7s have worked well in the past for me
Old 07-17-2019, 04:32 PM

ive done that float from mackinnon flats to carseland for over a decade 20x a year lol. there is a shuttle service, it sux when they forget and no vehicle when you land lol. not a inch of that river I don't know, the upper half from city to mackinnon flats is no where near as productive. august is always a good month with the bottom weeds thining out. if your fishing hardware panther martins or believe it or not a 5 of diamonds or red devil. the key though is fishing from boat and smacking the shore as the hit comes in first 5 feet from shore. grasshopper patterns get good in august as well. never did an over nighter but always burned hoagies half way down the stretch. used a jon boat forever, flat bottom, when water is low you will appreciate it. stop and work the pools. wasn't til later years that we put a small jet motor on back so we could re-do the great runs over and over that continually produce. best money vested. the rainbows are a hoot but luv smacking browns as they sure use that current.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:02 PM

I canoed with 5 others from the calgary zoo to medicine hat back in '72.
6 nights and canoed from sun up till sun down to make it back to work in 7 days. we went in first week in July. Ate what we caught, and the nights were no problem, slept in the open. hot during the day.I don't remember any problems with mosquitoes, and we got one night of light to medium rain. It was a good trip.
But like already said, know your river.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:16 PM

What are you floating in- canoe or drift boat? I have done this float many many many times - no big water to worry about. I was out last night (up from Carseland) river is big right now and off coloured but dropping. We are expecting rain on Friday and Saturday so will see how much it comes up again...

Have a look at google earth to get an idea of camp sites - once you get out of the city it is almost all private land but a number of land owners seem ok so long as you do not leave any trash and stay close to the river. Your most likely camp spot is going to be on the north shore a few km’s Above Mac or one of the large islands.

Feel free to PM me for more info- good luck, have fun and stay safe

Cheers
Old 07-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
What are you floating in- canoe or drift boat? I have done this float many many many times - no big water to worry about. I was out last night (up from Carseland) river is big right now and off coloured but dropping. We are expecting rain on Friday and Saturday so will see how much it comes up again...

Have a look at google earth to get an idea of camp sites - once you get out of the city it is almost all private land but a number of land owners seem ok so long as you do not leave any trash and stay close to the river. Your most likely camp spot is going to be on the north shore a few km’s Above Mac or one of the large islands.

Feel free to PM me for more info- good luck, have fun and stay safe

Cheers
This is kinda of the raft we were looking at. Probably just rent from these guys.
https://www.rockymountainpaddling.com/?page_id=1574

No Oars and have to paddle. I doubt we could find a flat bottom boat to actually rent???

I was thinking a island to camp on. I am going to spend some time tonight using Google earth and looking at the whole route.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
ive done that float from mackinnon flats to carseland for over a decade 20x a year lol. there is a shuttle service, it sux when they forget and no vehicle when you land lol. not a inch of that river I don't know, the upper half from city to mackinnon flats is no where near as productive. august is always a good month with the bottom weeds thining out. if your fishing hardware panther martins or believe it or not a 5 of diamonds or red devil. the key though is fishing from boat and smacking the shore as the hit comes in first 5 feet from shore. grasshopper patterns get good in august as well. never did an over nighter but always burned hoagies half way down the stretch. used a jon boat forever, flat bottom, when water is low you will appreciate it. stop and work the pools. wasn't til later years that we put a small jet motor on back so we could re-do the great runs over and over that continually produce. best money vested. the rainbows are a hoot but luv smacking browns as they sure use that current.
Pixel.. You are about to become my new best friend!! LOLOL
Old 07-22-2019, 11:32 PM
Banned

Rented a raft today. We go on Friday. Weather looks great.
Not much for fishing this time. Kinda thinking about it though. We are planing on heading from 22x to Mckinnons Flats.

Not a large raft but says its right for 4 people. I think 2 will be comfy. Seems its about a 5 hour float these days.

Might have to get a couple of fishing licenses. Seems silly not to take 2 rods.

I was thinking a couple of pre packaged telescopic type rods. Thoughts? I really want to keep this simple.

Weather will be hot and we will be going in the middle of the day say 11-4 type thing. Any sense fishing then? I assume I am reading this correctly as well. Can not keep a fish anywhere between Banff and Bassano? No Bait as well. Big azzed sandwich from Safeway it is!
Old 07-23-2019, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Grab a cheap arse two or 4 man tent if you have to. A pop up might suit your needs. They really aren't that big. You do not want to be exposed like that. It will ruin your experience.
That's good advice. Tried sleeping under the stars in Longview a few weekends ago and got eaten alive and my blankets were soaked in no time from a ton of condensation.

We postponed our annual Canoe trip due to high & fast water. We are gonna do the NSR Rocky to Drayton stretch. Going to wait till the 2'nd week of Aug & see if it's any better. Did Nordegg to Rocky last year, beautiful leg to Canoe down.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
That's good advice. Tried sleeping under the stars in Longview a few weekends ago and got eaten alive and my blankets were soaked in no time from a ton of condensation.

We postponed our annual Canoe trip due to high & fast water. We are gonna do the NSR Rocky to Drayton stretch. Going to wait till the 2'nd week of Aug & see if it's any better. Did Nordegg to Rocky last year, beautiful leg to Canoe down.
Very true about the tent. This trial run will let us know how much space we have. Should be plenty.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:18 PM
Banned

Got it done! We put in at the douglasdale Ball fields and floated to Policemans flats. Stopped once to stretch our legs. Took some back channels, got scared by a naked nudist, missed the Policemans flats pull out by a little bit. (next time we will be much more aggressive. 100% do able for anyone to be honest. We tried to make it as hard/exciting as we could and never even got wet till the very end.

4 man raft from Rocky Mountain Paddlers was $50 with Life jackets, throw rope and a pump. 4 man is perfect for a 3 hour float but I wouldn't use it for a over nighter. Just no room. We were full with a dry bag and a cooler.

Very enjoyable. I am sure the river is dropping by the day and we hit bottom a couple of times. Doubtful even a few days later you could get into a few places we did with out dragging it.

The camping trip will happen now. Might just try and take off from the same place and only go to Mckinnon Flats though. 3 hours was enough time in that boat. So, 2x3 plus some fishing and a over nighter would be just about right. Lots of suitable islands were spotted and I assume it will be the same further down stream.

Watched all the guides to try and figure out where they fish the different waters. I noticed every guide was on the "east bank" or left hand side as we floated down. Didn't see anyone with spinning gear though. That will be the next project. I have to figure out how to fish this river with a small amount of gear. Collapsable rod and a extremely small tackle box (Or bag). We will go at the end of August I think. Next week might happen but he leaves for Europe on the 9th and is getting in as many shifts as he can at work.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:28 PM

Glad you guys had fun. After you have floated it once you get to wonder what all the concern was about, it really is a VERY tame river. Next trip you may want to try renting a canoe, they actually have a whole bunch more room than a raft and they are a lot more comfortable on longer floats. A 14 foot canoe will hold two plus tent and gear for two or three days and lots of fishing gear, with no problems at all. Will fit on a roof rack or in the back of a Pickup quite nicely.