Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Raw Dog Food

Anybody on here feed raw dog food? Have 3 dogs that would fall into the category of eating 1lb/each per day. So need about 90lbs/month that won't break the bank. Looking for something that is complete (has all the veggies/fruits mixed in) and doesn't contain chicken.

We used to feed K9 Choice out of Tofield but priced out at about $340/month to feed these porkers. Not opposed to buying in bulk as we have 2 empty deep freezers.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Anybody on here feed raw dog food? Have 3 dogs that would fall into the category of eating 1lb/each per day. So need about 90lbs/month that won't break the bank. Looking for something that is complete (has all the veggies/fruits mixed in) and doesn't contain chicken.

We used to feed K9 Choice out of Tofield but priced out at about $340/month to feed these porkers. Not opposed to buying in bulk as we have 2 empty deep freezers.
We use Complete K9 out of Lacombe. We have two bully dogs, the one eats 8 oz per meal (16 oz per day) and the other is 9.5 oz per meal (19 oz per day). The one that is on 19 oz per day is a super active dog that is either full out or sleeping.

We get the Ultimate Chicken (I know you said no chicken, they have other protein mixes) and we get it in 1 lb blocks in 50 lb bags.

You can either pick up from their Lacombe location or you can get it delivered to a pick up location. We live in Okotoks and pickup in their Mackenzie location in Calgary. They deliver once per month.

They do have 50 lb uncut blocks available for $69

https://www.thecompletek9.ca/
Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

We do. 2 golden retrievers, they both eat three 8oz patties a day. So 3lbs a day or so.

We found k9 choice patties weighed less than 8oz

We used to buy carnivora and that was anywhere from 350-400 bucks a month lol Turkey, beef, bison except they stopped making bison for a bit due to a herd problem.

We just switched at the beginning of this month to Mega dog raw. The price is a bit better than carnivora and you can definitely see all the veggies etc in the patties. I think beef is like $102/box and Turkey is 80??? where carnivora beef dinner is $118?? And Turkey is 90??

Also Homes Alive in Edmonton (1 north location 1 south) has 10% off every first Tuesday of each month so we go and buy 3 or 4 boxes of food each time.

Hope that helps. I'd never feed my dogs kibble. *flame suit on*
Old 07-16-2019, 01:13 PM

Just do like me, go kill a few bears, butcher them yourself. It doesn't cost much and you get to spend more time hunting.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Just do like me, go kill a few bears, butcher them yourself. It doesn't cost much and you get to spend more time hunting.
Hes feeding 90lbs per month. Needs 1100lbs per year. Dogs also can get trichinosis. He also wants the dog food with veggies and fruits mixed in so hes gonna need an industrial type meat grinder to process all that.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
This is a really bad idea... if your going to feed raw be careful with game meat https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/s...e_meat_yes.pdf just to see a few. Guys also like to talk about game meat as free but it’s not think about your fuel and gear costs alone and it’s going to be cheaper to buy raw dog food. I was feeding mountain dog to my Aussie and he ate about 60$ a month it would be cheaper if you purchase in breeder blocks and portion it out on your own.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
This is a really bad idea... if your going to feed raw be careful with game meat https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/s...e_meat_yes.pdf just to see a few. Guys also like to talk about game meat as free but it’s not think about your fuel and gear costs alone and it’s going to be cheaper to buy raw dog food. I was feeding mountain dog to my Aussie and he ate about 60$ a month it would be cheaper if you purchase in breeder blocks and portion it out on your own.
We don't feed raw, all cooked. We also add some fruit, veggies, cheese and peanut butter to his diet.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
We don't feed raw, all cooked. We also add some fruit and veggies, along with peanut butter.
Hope that peanut butter is low sugar. My gf house sat a dog that became diabetic due to its owners going overboard with the peanut butter
Old 07-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Guys also like to talk about game meat as free but it’s not think about your fuel and gear costs alone .
I don't count gas and time, cause I go out in the bush almost every week anyway. If I'm not hunting or trapping, I go scouting.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Hope that peanut butter is low sugar. My gf house sat a dog that became diabetic due to its owners going overboard with the peanut butter
Just have to make sure the low sugar version doesn't contain xylitol. It's lethal to dogs.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=tbiddy;4002255]Anybody on here feed raw dog food? Have 3 dogs that would fall into the category of eating 1lb/each per day. So need about 90lbs/month that won't break the bank. Looking for something that is complete (has all the veggies/fruits mixed in) and doesn't contain chicken.

My daughter had her dog on raw food then switched to cooking her own ground elk/bison/sirloin mixed with veggies, black beans and a sprinkle of rice. Her dog is 10 and since switching last fall the animal is as spry as when it was 2-3 yrs old, plus she is saving about 20%.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:44 PM

Default raw

Quote:

not sure why everyone is so keen on feeding all the fruits and veggies to their dog. We make a commercial grade of raw food that goes to a third-party lab for chemical analysis. The recipe is 100% beef from our own inspected slaughter plant. Green tripe is the main ingredient, with loads of cartilage, meats, and fats to produce a very high Kcal formula. Minimal organ meat. I have two golden retrievers that have been on this diet ever since they were weaned. Super high-energy, great coats, and the added bonus of tiny little turds that just about slip through the grass in the back yard
85% digestable, and we cut them into 8 oz pucks. Both of my two goldens get two a day, and with that they have more than enough energy. The only veggies in this mix, are from whatever vegetable matter is still trapped in the raw tripe after we rinse it. A 40 lb. box is just shy of a hundred dollar bill.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
not sure why everyone is so keen on feeding all the fruits and veggies to their dog. We make a commercial grade of raw food that goes to a third-party lab for chemical analysis. The recipe is 100% beef from our own inspected slaughter plant. Green tripe is the main ingredient, with loads of cartilage, meats, and fats to produce a very high Kcal formula. Minimal organ meat. I have two golden retrievers that have been on this diet ever since they were weaned. Super high-energy, great coats, and the added bonus of tiny little turds that just about slip through the grass in the back yard
85% digestable, and we cut them into 8 oz pucks. Both of my two goldens get two a day, and with that they have more than enough energy. The only veggies in this mix, are from whatever vegetable matter is still trapped in the raw tripe after we rinse it. A 40 lb. box is just shy of a hundred dollar bill.
Do you sell it commercially?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
What he said
Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I’m interested too
Old 07-18-2019, 05:59 AM

Default Raw

Sorry for the late response.
Yes, we have been selling it commercially for a few years now. The only problem I have is with volume. I will only source from cattle slaughtered within my own facility, so I know exactly what product is going into the food. That limits me to about 800 lbs per week based on my formula. I am almost at max sales with repeat customers. That is the main reason I have never pushed to advertise.
I would be happy to send out a copy of the chemical analysis by email or text, just PM me through this site. Or, you can call and leave a message at my shop, Alberta Prairie Meats, in Duchess 403-378-4123. We are absolutely swamped at this time of year, so I apologize in advance if I am late responding at times.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Sorry for the late response.
Yes, we have been selling it commercially for a few years now. The only problem I have is with volume. I will only source from cattle slaughtered within my own facility, so I know exactly what product is going into the food. That limits me to about 800 lbs per week based on my formula. I am almost at max sales with repeat customers. That is the main reason I have never pushed to advertise.
I would be happy to send out a copy of the chemical analysis by email or text, just PM me through this site. Or, you can call and leave a message at my shop, Alberta Prairie Meats, in Duchess 403-378-4123. We are absolutely swamped at this time of year, so I apologize in advance if I am late responding at times.
PM sent
Old 07-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Mountain dog food / MDF.
Extended our lab/ rotti cross life aprx 2 years, she was having issues since she was 9.
$35 for 20lb box. Turkey dinner mix was the one we bought.

TBark
Old 07-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Default Raw dog food

Here is a link to the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association’s position statement on raw pet foods. To each their own, but worth a consideration.

https://www.canadianveterinarians.ne...diets-for-pets
Old 07-18-2019, 10:58 AM

I know that Clubmead Pet Resort in Nisku sells raw dog food too. Mountain
brand. I know it is all quite pricey.

https://www.clubmead.com/dog-food/

Worth a phone call to check pricing if you are in Edm area.