Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 04:29 PM

Can use it in other Milwaukee tools I own so no biggie. Check out the price on an Ion battery
Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Well, I don't need to wait until March. I found a spot today at 30 inches of good ice plus 5 inches of white ice. SM Lithium cut through it with no hesitation.

Bye bye gas auger
Old 02-18-2019, 06:13 PM

Strikemaster is currently on sale at Cabelas.ca for $637 and the Fishnhole has the best sale price for the Ion X at $699. Couldn't wait till next year so I have a green one coming in the mail.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Strikemaster is currently on sale at Cabelas.ca for $637 and the Fishnhole has the best sale price for the Ion X at $699. Couldn't wait till next year so I have a green one coming in the mail.
Good deal !
Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Wrong x 2. Simply a comment that Aaron is using it in Manitoba at all times of year and has made the switch. One show he is using it at Wekusko on April 30th. Of course you interpret it in your own "special" way.

I'm using mine through this cold snap. I through it in the back of my truck like I always did my on my gas auger. Aaron did a show in -37C using it. Just keep the battery warm. Not exactly hard to figure that out...
I just filmed a show with Aaron and got to use his strikemaster electric in this cold weather. I was surprised, keep the batteries warm and in heated tent/inside bibs and it worked great in -35. Roughly 40 holes through 2 feet of ice and that wasn't really conserving the batteries in the cold (could have kept them warmer at certain times)
When my gas auger finally packs it up, an electric will definitely be an option.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Yikes , $349 Canadian bucks ,
That's more then a ION or a strikemaster battery ,
Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 AM

"Do your homework and buy whatever makes you happy , it's your money 💰" Posted by dutch m

Well said dutch m
Old 02-24-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch_m View Post
4 ft of ice , with a 10 inch
That must be one hell'va auger , must have lots of power compared to the ION X
I have the Ion X in a 8 inch , and I can honestly say at 4 ft of ice , that is a workout on a electric auger ,
I've been to the lakes in Winnipeg, way up north to some lakes in Saskatchewan,
Some of the toughest thickest ice going

My understanding is , the strikemaster is good for 450 inches of ice to a battery , so at 4 ft of ice , that's like 10 holes befor your battery's is dead

This is the trouble with electric augers , we live in the cold north ,
I've had em all , gas , propane jiffy in a 10 inch , the Ion X

I love the electrics , but I just bought a new Eskimo P1 Rocket in Propane as a back up auger , why
Because the electrics don't have the balls or guts to do a fishing trip with a few guys , let alone 1 guy for a couple days

They great in the shack as no fume , if you only going to drill a few holes

But if you have deep ice , lots of holes and want a 10 inch ,in my opinion then I think propans still the best auger to own ,
Drilled 18 holes through 30" of ice today with ION electric far more holes then I ever usually drill.

mack
Old 02-25-2019, 10:47 AM

My Eskimo was ****ing me off so I went and ordered an Ion X 10" for 729 at the Fishing Hole.
Dont drill a 100 holes a day.
Dont care if I need to buy a new battery in 5 years.
Will enjoy the lighter weight when Im walking across a lake
Old 02-25-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
My Eskimo was ****ing me off so I went and ordered an Ion X 10" for 729 at the Fishing Hole.
Dont drill a 100 holes a day.
Dont care if I need to buy a new battery in 5 years.
Will enjoy the lighter weight when Im walking across a lake
ION is made by Eskimo
Old 02-25-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
ION is made by Eskimo
Actually they are under the Ardisan name....brothers per say

As a matter of fact the 10" blades from my Z71 look identical to the Ion blades,except alot cheaper.
Since I have both I will try them.
I dont have an issue with Eskimo.....except maybe too much plastic,which doesnt like being dropped in -20C
And I guess I like using different things,and dont mind spending the money.
The electric has intriqued me...
Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Actually they are under the Ardisan name....brothers per say

As a matter of fact the 10" blades from my Z71 look identical to the Ion blades,except alot cheaper.
Since I have both I will try them.
I dont have an issue with Eskimo.....except maybe too much plastic,which doesnt like being dropped in -20C
And I guess I like using different things,and dont mind spending the money.
The electric has intriqued me...
I remember researching this information a few years back and found that the Ion is made by Eskimo. I saw the Ardison company as well but found out that Eskimo wanted to up its game with the Ion so kept it off of their site. Could be brothers, as you said.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I remember researching this information a few years back and found that the Ion is made by Eskimo. I saw the Ardison company as well but found out that Eskimo wanted to up its game with the Ion so kept it off of their site. Could be brothers, as you said.
I never knew any of this but my Eskimo pistol bit warranty is from Ardison.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 PM

Picked up the ION X at the PO this aft and went fishin'. It was a cold day, only drilled 5 holes. A couple holes to check water depth on a new spot and three more inside the tent. It surpasses my expectations in all points, except the price point lol. I didn't take the included extension with me and almost ran out of flyte just before breaking through the bottom. Liking the reverse for sending all the slush down the hole, this is especially good in a tent or shack. Left the auger outside and took the battery inside to keep it warm and almost kicked it down a hole...……...OMG.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:35 PM

So my good friend bought a ION a few weeks ago and sold his Eskimo Z71. He says it’s slower than his Eskimo but way easier to manage. He said his Eskimo blades aren’t quite the same, the hole spacing is not quite the same.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
So my good friend bought a ION a few weeks ago and sold his Eskimo Z71. He says it’s slower than his Eskimo but way easier to manage. He said his Eskimo blades aren’t quite the same, the hole spacing is not quite the same.
Thanks for info
I'll still see how my Z71 blades line up sometime.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Got out with the Ion X this am.
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Ion is definitely slower than the Z71,and seems to be having an issue part way thru hole...and doesnt want to cut.
I seem to need to put a fair bit of pressure on it to cut,which is odd.
Play around with it a bit.
20 holes or so and still 3 bars on battery...so battery life will not be an issue for me
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Ion is definitely slower than the Z71,and seems to be having an issue part way thru hole...and doesnt want to cut.
20 holes or so and still 3 bars on battery...so battery life will not be an issue for me
Thanks for the update. That slowing issue is why I picked up a Strikemaster over the Ion. It was noticeable in auger wars as well. I can say that I do not have that issue with SM. Even in 30 inches of ice there was no hesitation. Either way, both of the advantage of instant power
Old 03-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Cabelas has a deal on right now for the SM 8 inch:

Old 03-01-2019, 01:12 PM

In the last in depth outdoors video on laketrout, the boys had a strikemaster with a flight that looked somewhat similar to a K drill. They might be coming out with a composite shaft version next year which will make it even lighter.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:04 PM

The one thing I do like about my strikemaster is that the auger and blades r the same as my strikemaster gas. Makes a great combo if for some reason the battery did die on me or I couldn’t get the gas engine to run. Lol.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Heads up on the pushing hard. I was watching some utube video comparisons last week and reviewer was saying that pushing hard can really foul up the augers quickly and that they were designed for just light downward pressure.
For those waiting for their gas augers to conk out before buying an electric you better hope its not like my old Jiffy, 37 yrs and still starts on second pull and runs like a charm... Im still waiting...
Old 03-01-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Cabelas has a deal on right now for the SM 8 inch:

Ive been fishing with a 10" auger for 25 years.....Why I was set on a 10".
Otherwise I would have bought this
Old 03-01-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Heads up on the pushing hard. I was watching some utube video comparisons last week and reviewer was saying that pushing hard can really foul up the augers quickly and that they were designed for just light downward pressure.
For those waiting for their gas augers to conk out before buying an electric you better hope its not like my old Jiffy, 37 yrs and still starts on second pull and runs like a charm... Im still waiting...

Hard to kill those old jiffies. They r a great machine. I always wondered why my blades would dull up and/ warp slightly. A good friend that was sponsored by jiffy told me this happens when u apply pressure. I hardly replace a set of blades any more
Old 03-01-2019, 05:24 PM

They are. If you look around there are pics and videos of it in action. There is a thread over on the Ice Shanty forums about it if you are on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
In the last in depth outdoors video on laketrout, the boys had a strikemaster with a flight that looked somewhat similar to a K drill. They might be coming out with a composite shaft version next year which will make it even lighter.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update. That slowing issue is why I picked up a Strikemaster over the Ion. It was noticeable in auger wars as well. I can say that I do not have that issue with SM. Even in 30 inches of ice there was no hesitation. Either way, both of the advantage of instant power
Same with the Trophy Strike 120V, no hesitation or pause the whole way down. I almost feel like I need to hold it back it cuts so fast and effortlessly. Still trying to get used to it as I had a Jiffy 30 for 30+ years and it is very different. Dogfish
Old 03-02-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Same with the Trophy Strike 120V, no hesitation or pause the whole way down. I almost feel like I need to hold it back it cuts so fast and effortlessly. Still trying to get used to it as I had a Jiffy 30 for 30+ years and it is very different. Dogfish
Nice! This is crazy. Check it out:
https://youtu.be/EvA4VxZMvNI
Old 03-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Wow forgot about where o posted this one. Looks like it was a good conversation starter for once. I took the auger out in bc where ice ranges from 8 to 14 inch think and fished three lakes one day. Drilled 50 holes and only one light down on the first battery. Very happy with this thing. Headed to Cascade lake tomorrow and will put it to the test down there some more.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 03-02-2019, 10:52 PM

I'm hoping to find one of these on sale once hard water season ends. The weight and ability to just push a button and be drilling is nice. Also for when fishing the odd city pond, wouldn't draw near as much attention as the gas ones. When I bought it I swore I'd never hand drill again, so gave both hand augers away haha
Old 03-03-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Wow forgot about where o posted this one. Looks like it was a good conversation starter for once. I took the auger out in bc where ice ranges from 8 to 14 inch think and fished three lakes one day. Drilled 50 holes and only one light down on the first battery. Very happy with this thing. Headed to Cascade lake tomorrow and will put it to the test down there some more.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
No kidding

At least your heading South with it. I hear from "reputable" sources on here, that ice up North is instantly 4 feet thick come Dec 1 and electric augers can only cut 10 holes and usually break in your warm SUV. Must be something in the air up North? Sounds like only a job a cheap propane auger can handle ...