Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Default Wholesale sports edmonton

Well, what can I say? I know there's been a nbr of unkind words in the past, so here's my comments.

Alan's gone, Doug's gone.......because I had known both of them for a long time, I always dealt with them.

My go to guy now is Graham. I gotta say, I've never had better service anywhere than from him.

Graham, if you're lurking, Hat's of to you, sir. Wholesale is always on my stops with people like you there.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 07-13-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM

I don't know who Alan is but Doug was the best RIP. Doug always had time for me and helped me purchace my first gun at 18. I bought another 3 or 4 guns off him and everytime I went in he knew my name and had time to talk I was shocked when I went in and learned he had passed way to young.
To be honest since then I don't think I have had decent gun counter service from the Northside store.
I got so ****ed at the northside store over the phone the other day I called to see if they had stock on a browning maxus and the goof didn't even know what a maxus was he didnt even know it was a shotgun and asked me to spell it (Iam canadian no accent or speak impedement) I said god damn man don't you know your friggen guns and he laughed.
I have bought my last two guns from the south side and have had great knowlegdable service from a younger guy.....can't recall his name but he helped me walk my gun and cases of ammo out to my truck....never had that before.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 AM

I find the south side is well run. Shane is an asset.

Problem is, they order stuff for inventory and dont always receive it

That has to be frustrating, for staff and customers

As for the gun counter, they have very good people there. Terry and Jean Claude tend to stand out. The younger guys do their best to help
Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Yup. Alan and Doug were top notch guys working at a place with a horrible reputation due to the majority of the asshats there. My last purchase their was a .257 Weatherby from Doug. Glad to hear someone has had good dealings with Wholesale recently.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Doug was a top notch guy to deal with and get advice from that's for sure.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Doug was a top notch guy to deal with and get advice from that's for sure.
Which fella was Doug? What did he look like?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Which fella was Doug? What did he look like?
Slight man..beard, grey haired. Soft spoken. Just turned 60 when he passed away.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

It takes a while to know your guns and you have to an interest in them.

I started out working part time when I was 14 at ESG in south edmonton years ago.

I had an extreme interest in hunting fishing and firearms.

One of my mentors was Allan although he was working All Sports at the time.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 PM

JeromeO was awesome at the northside but he went on to be a elementary teacher.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:33 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Slight man..beard, grey haired. Soft spoken. Just turned 60 when he passed away.
That's him, very friendly and willing to help with any questions you had. Good guy.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

I first met Doug when he was working at Pheonix on Calgary Trail South. He then went to work for Carl, and ended up at WSS.

Where did Doug work before coming to Pheonix? I remember he used to talk about Cottle, Irv, Dottie, Mike and Stan, etc. He was not new to the scene.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 PM

Default Wss north

Was in the north store a couple weeks ago the help I recived was excellent best in along time. Saw lots of stock on the shelves and was told that the ordering staff had all been fired and a new computer ordering system installed it automatically orders when stock hits a certain number for that item. I can remember Doug he always had something new to show me and my hunting buddy. First time I saw the 204 ruger, 17hmr and the wssms we're when Doug called us over and pulled one out of his pocket. I bought at least 3 rifles and 2 or 3 scopes from him was the best person to deal with RIP sir
Old 07-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Old George in the north store has always been a helpful person. I have never been rebuffed by him and I have appreciated the service that has come my way from this person.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:47 AM

Default Times have changed...

Yes times have changed since my Father and Doug passed. For those who didn't know my Father here is a quick link....you will likely recognise him if you have been around Edmonton for the past 10+ years.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=allen+baker

I also concur that Graham is a great guy and delivers great service. George always says hi and is helpful as well. Blake is also a really a good guy.

I appreciate that the WSS-SS store has gone out of their way to welcome in AO members so kudos to those guys for that.

Unfortunately, with the time these stores might be short staffed some days and someone from camping (or unrelated dept.) may have to cover the gun counter (just guessing, don't know if its true) and they may very well know not a whole lot....

I know not all of us have patience from time to time but a few patience might be helpful.....ask if someone else who knows rifles/shotguns really well is around to ask? I know when you get connected to the gun counter you would expect a seasoned person to pick up.....sometimes its just the reality.

Would you rather have an inexperienced person pick up or no one at all?

LC
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Since the south Edmonton location opened I have not been in the north much at all. Shayne, Terry, Lyndon and Carmen? Are simply the best people I have ever dealt with, in retail.

With these 4 doing what they so well, I never go anywhere else in the city any more.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yes times have changed since my Father and Doug passed. For those who didn't know my Father here is a quick link....you will likely recognise him if you have been around Edmonton for the past 10+ years.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ht=allen+baker

I also concur that Graham is a great guy and delivers great service. George always says hi and is helpful as well. Blake is also a really a good guy.

I appreciate that the WSS-SS store has gone out of their way to welcome in AO members so kudos to those guys for that.

Unfortunately, with the time these stores might be short staffed some days and someone from camping (or unrelated dept.) may have to cover the gun counter (just guessing, don't know if its true) and they may very well know not a whole lot....

I know not all of us have patience from time to time but a few patience might be helpful.....ask if someone else who knows rifles/shotguns really well is around to ask? I know when you get connected to the gun counter you would expect a seasoned person to pick up.....sometimes its just the reality.

Would you rather have an inexperienced person pick up or no one at all?

LC
I still think of your dad quite often. I used to take my Maggie(Vizsla) in quite often to see him. She would hunt all over the store until she found him. When I lost her I took Kati (nuther Vizsla) in to see him a few times.

Maybe that was one of the reasons he and I got along so well. He loved gun-dogs.