Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2011, 05:07 PM

Default Hotel Recommendations in Varadero

Heading to cuba in April. Would like to avoid booking a ****hole))))))))))

Any recent recommendations?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 PM

we just got back from there 2 weeks ago and it was great! We stayed at the iberostar playa almeda. It was an awesome hotel with a nice beach.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Gone Hunting

all the beaches there are great!!!...going back for the 5th time in April...we stay at the Villa Cuba, great food (western style) and staff is very friendly...nice villas right on the beach...
Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 PM

My son just got back. They spent two weeks at a smaller resort, just west of Varadero and were very pleased. I'll try to get the name. In Cuba, the more stars, the better. You want at least a 4. Last time, we stayed at one of the newer hotels on the east end of the peninsula and that worked out well. Time before, we stayed at a **** hole, just off the canal. Supposedly a 3 1/2 star. Was raining into the lobby, when we arrived, sewer smell in our bathroom and a couple of power and water outages, during our stay. But hey, it's one of the last two Worker's Paradises, you're visiting.

Grizz
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

never fail to get a laugh out of comments....folks, you are going to a 3rd world communist country where 5 star means 3...or less...they are still stuck in the early'60's go for the experience...or go to Vegas, or Barbados and if u like spice on your food at all. take it with you....some hotels have it....most don't
Old 02-18-2011, 06:16 PM

Have been, it's more than a little humbling to see how little the Cuban people have and how much joy they exude.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 PM

We were just at Arenas Doradas 5min out side of varadero ,was nice but the food was not to great.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 PM

I appreciate the feedback. Went on trip advisor and seems lots of folks complaining about rowdy loud Canadian youth.lol

We are going as a couple in our early 50's-laid back and easy going. We stress about very little but I am not fond of insect infestations in my room such as I have had recently in Cancun.

Been to Mexico many times to Mismoloya, Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Puerto Vallarta.

Been to Jamaica in the 80's-Dominican in Punta Cana and now just looking for a cheap deal somewhere different.

Clean-Friendly and don't want to have to boot **** some loud mouth punk.lol

Wrecks the romance.

I would rather trust the real life experience of fellow AO members than Trip Advisor
Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

You can check out all the resorts in the entire Caribbean here and read reviews from people who have been there.

http://www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:35 PM

... Sandals , quite nice

Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta
Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 PM

if you just want the resort and the beach i would recommend the santa clara area. there are four hotels there that range from 3-5. the sol and the melia are 3-4. melia is a very nice resort. a small island a mile down the beach offers some good snorkeling.

i stayed near varadero while on a scuba trip,the serrina las selinas.very nice resort,very large. it is up the peninsula a ways and a cab to veradero will cost you 15cuc's. if i was to go there again i would pick one closer to the marina and golf course. most are very nice resorts.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Iberostar laguna azul is a couple years old now . Was there last winter and was fairly impressed with it. Beach was great too. Food was nothing less than any of the other Carribean resort areas i have been to. Cuba is a great country to visit and i thought the city of Havana was incredibly interesting.
Have a great trip !
Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Give Roatan Honduras a look. GF just came back from there,, was totally impressed and will go back.

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car.
After one hour, open the trunk and see who is happiest to see you!!!

If you won't stand behind our Troops,
Feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM

We stayed at the Barcello Solymar in Varadero a few years back, had a great time, hired a driver that took us to Havanna and he took the senic route thrue the country. unfortunate thing was that my wife came back with samonella poisening, so becarfull where you eat.

We just came back from Jamaica last night , we stayed in Negril in a small 29 room resort "seawinds" I think I just fell in love with a new country. Also been to Barbados St Lucia,and mexico. I think Jamaica is top of my list.

It is sucks when you leave +30 degree sunny weather and come home to -30.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Banned

i stayed at the punta rena. it is terrible. get as many stars as you can. the food everywhere in cuba is pretty dismal. we even tried restaurants in town....eeewwww. take a bottle of franks red hot....i put that s**t on everything and it would have helped a whole bunch. aside from that, the country was decent and the people very friendly. there was a local guy fishing in the canal. i got to talking with him and with his gear, i tried to show him some techniques that work here....he caught a few fish and was so happy. one thing to remember though is that there is no trade with the us, so some of the things you take for granted as part of life wont be available....like coca cola. the rum was good, but with bargain basement cola, it just wasnt the same.