Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Default 2011 AF&GA Conference

The 2011 AF&GA Conference is getting close.

Our club in Rocky has gone over and voted on the resolutions. We have selected our three voting delegates.

Who will we see in Edm.?

What did you think of the resolutions this year?

I'm not sure who is responsible for editing the resolutions this year but we thought they were not done up as well as usual.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM

Our club will be going through them on Monday.

I believe there will be 4 or 5 of us going this year.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Our club has reviewed and voted. We are sending two delegates.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Default Conference Reps.

Fort Sask will be sending 7
Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 PM

We discussed the resolutions the other night, I'll be there.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM

I will be one of 5 people from our club attending.
The resolutions seem pretty tame to me this year. The only one that stands out, and I think will be defeated is......

WILDLIFE RESOLUTION NUMBER W-7-2011
Submitted by: Zone 2
Drafted by: Drumheller Fish & Game Association
Transfer of Draw Priority for Seniors
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Alberta Sustainable Resource Development implement a system which allows a resident hunter to transfer their priority in a draw or draws after they attain a certain age (e.g. 65 or 70 years) if they so desire. This would be a simple transfer and not a sale or barter. All priority per draw to go to one other Alberta resident hunter with a valid WIN card. Priorities in different draws could go to different hunters.
BRIEF: As many Alberta hunters are getting older, we are finding that we have accumulated priorities in draws that if drawn we would not be physically able to partake in that hunt. It would be nice if we could pass that priority on to another hunter that could enjoy the hunt when drawn since we have spent our money each year in the draws to get that priority.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
The resolutions seem pretty tame to me this year. The only one that stands out, and I think will be defeated is......

BE IT RESOLVED THAT Alberta Sustainable Resource Development implement a system which allows a resident hunter to transfer their priority in a draw or draws after they attain a certain age (e.g. 65 or 70 years) if they so desire. This would be a simple transfer and not a sale or barter. All priority per draw to go to one other Alberta resident hunter with a valid WIN card. Priorities in different draws could go to different hunters.
BRIEF: As many Alberta hunters are getting older, we are finding that we have accumulated priorities in draws that if drawn we would not be physically able to partake in that hunt. It would be nice if we could pass that priority on to another hunter that could enjoy the hunt when drawn since we have spent our money each year in the draws to get that priority.
It sounds like a good idea to me , might allow a few younger hunters to enjoy a high priority point hunt a little soooner in life ! If someone realizes they are no longer able to do a certain hunt, transfer of points sounds more like an inheritance, priority stays in the family / friends circle.... Not sure what the issue would be there....your thoughts please !
Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM

My only stipulation, would be that the older hunter no be allowed to start applying for that draw again ! this could lead to someone getting a tag twice as fast as any others !
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Why should there be special privileges for those who's grandparents hunt, or at least apply for tags, as I'm sure a lot more seniors would suddenly start applying in the draw system.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
Why should there be special privileges for those who's grandparents hunt, or at least apply for tags, as I'm sure a lot more seniors would suddenly start applying in the draw system.
Rocky that one got shot down roundly at our club. The draw is a contract between an individual and SRD. When the individual backs out it isn't SRD or anyone else's fault.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 PM

if someone has been applying for 10 years for a draw , and now finds himself in less than "huntable" physical condition for a hunt, why not allow him to pass that on to someone who would be able to enjoy that draw ? Thats beter than getting drawn and not being able to use the tag, or let the points just "sit" and ever be used. They have been paid for! Like i said A hunter should only be allowed to do this once per specific type of tag , then not be alowed to apply again for that tag. This wouldn't be on the table as a resolution if at least a few people thought that it was a good idea ! I'm open to the idea ! The draws can always use a little "fine-tuning" , better than scrap it and start over with another method !

Last edited by crazyfish; 02-15-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
The draw is a contract between an individual and SRD. When the individual backs out it isn't SRD or anyone else's fault.
That i understand , and if the resolution gets a no vote, thats ok too ! Democratic process, and NO i don't have anyone to give me they're points !

Another question, or is it another thread, has anything been decided about the "impossible odds sheep draws" and how they plan on "adjusting/ fixing" them ?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Or how about if a guy puts in for a draw for 10 years and only needs a priority 5 to draw the tag. He finally draws the tag how about giving him back the unused priority. Maybe an idea for next years resolution.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Looks like I'll be letting my grandma's friends beat me at poker this weekend.

Think of all the priority point I could inherit?

Heck, these guys would likely start putting in for the draw just to have the credit to pay me back if I do win. I wonder what the cash value will be?

Maybe this proposal is even linked to keeping draws off a cap. Three generations of priority and surely your greatgrandkids might get that sheep tag.

Stupid concept.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Or how about if a guy puts in for a draw for 10 years and only needs a priority 5 to draw the tag. He finally draws the tag how about giving him back the unused priority. Maybe an idea for next years resolution.
Nope, if he decided to 999 his priority to that point, then it's his loss / choice, he still earned his right to be drawn, and chose to wait !Many of us try to time our hunts so we have them spread out (party hunts for moose), or delay them after bad winters( antelope) , therefore pints are accrued and not always used , part of the reason why the system is as god as it is ! It allows us to be flexible and try to make decisions that best suit our schedules !

If some of the sheep draws coninue the way they are, a guy could draw for 30+ years and not get a tag, thats a big physical difference to the average hunter. Not completely agreeing wth the idea , but i think it does have merit for consideration !
Old 02-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
if someone has been applying for 10 years for a draw , and now finds himself in less than "huntable" physical condition for a hunt, why not allow him to pass that on to someone who would be able to enjoy that draw ? Thats beter than getting drawn and not being able to use the tag, or let the points just "sit" and ever be used. They have been paid for! Like i said A hunter should only be allowed to do this once per specific type of tag , then not be alowed to apply again for that tag. This wouldn't be on the table as a resolution if at least a few people thought that it was a good idea ! I'm open to the idea ! The draws can always use a little "fine-tuning" , better than scrap it and start over with another method !
So if he can't hunt the tag why should another fellow who has one less year priority be punished? Because someone gets bumped by the inheritor. There is no free lunch and while it seems a nice gesture to pass on the priority points it would be at a cost to someone else in the draw. I think if you can't use them yourself they are lost. The whole point you make about the long term draws only highlights this. There are many forms of attrition in the draws where people drop out, old age is but one.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Not sure what the issue would be there....your thoughts please !
My thoughts are it would create a lot problems.....
1. Would it be right for me to use up my 8 years priority and hunt antelope in 2012. Then in 2013 transfer my grandpas 9 years priority hunt them again. Then in 2014 transfer my grandpas lodge buddies priority and hunt them again? This could be a vicious circle.
2. Even though the resolution mentions, "This would be a simple transfer and not a sale or barter" how do you stop money from being involved. Money talks and suddenly I could see some folks with some high priorities. It would be a case of where people with money could advance and have more hunting opportunities than the average Joe.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Alberta Sustainable Resource Development implement a system which allows a resident hunter to transfer their priority in a draw or draws after they attain a certain age (e.g. 65 or 70 years) if they so desire. This would be a simple transfer and not a sale or barter.
Uh yeah, good luck enforcing that one....

Even if used as intended it's really just passing down hereditary hunting rights. Someone shouldn't get to jump the line in front of others simply because they have a friend or relative who was a hunter and has decided to no longer participate.

Would the transferring party then be banned from ever entering a draw again? Or could they keep hunting, just giving away SOME of their priorities? If that latter, why wouldn't you let anyone of any age do that? It's greasy.

NO BUDGES!!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:00 PM

Like i said, i don't completely agree with the resolution, i do see interesting arguemnts for both sides. I completely agree with the difficulty to ensure fairness and people not using it to incrase oportunity. We all know that wen there is a chance for shenanigans, that someone wil try to do so, thats where i see the biggest problems with this resolution, and why i'd have to now agree with the others and say it's a bad resolution. Interesting idea, too many issues to be successful !

Last edited by crazyfish; 02-15-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 PM

What did everyone think of the resolution by Willow Valley to push the 5 year wait for successful sheep hunters?
Our club voted it down for the obvious reasons.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM

5 year wait is crazy ! hope its out ! punish success, stupid !
Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 AM

Here is the resolution 209X50 is refering too.
What is everyones thoughts on this one?

WILDLIFE RESOLUTION NUMBER W-4-2011
Submitted by: Zone 1
Drafted by: Willow Valley Fish & Game Association
Bighorn Sheep License Waiting Period
BE IT RESOLVED THAT after a Bighorn Sheep hunter has successfully harvested a trophy sheep, they must wait 5 years to purchase another sheep license.
BRIEF: This change would encourage the hunter to be more selective after they have already harvested a ram. This would allow more sheep to mature and also provide better opportunities for more hunters in the field.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Banned

What are the resolutions on the agenda for the conference...........or do you have to be a member of the club to know?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Gone Hunting

A list of the resolutions is sent out to each affiliated club. At he club level they are discussed and voted on. Then the voting delegates have in their hand the decision of their club. At conference they can address the resolution at the mike and suggest amendments or state the view of their club. Then a vote is called.

A least this is the way it is supposed to work. Occasionally at our club when we do not understand a resolution or for some reason cannot come to a vote on it we will leave that one resolution up to the delegates to figure out at conference. The first meeting after conference the delegates give an account of how they voted, which resolutions were passed and what they learned at the conference (other than not to drink so much)

Resolutions that are passed go to SRD and sometimes things change as a result but not always.

I am not sure if the resolutions are posted on the AF&GA web site or not. They are not a big secret but on a "need to know" basis, if you are a member you need to know and if you are not a member, why would you need to know?

If you have a good idea take it to your club before the fall zone meetings and draw up a resolution.

If you don't belong to a F&G club...why not???

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
If you don't belong to a F&G club...why not???
I'm not interested in the politics of clubs. No matter how hard you want to stay away from it and have nothing to do with it, it's always there. Also, I try to have as few ball and chains as possible and I don't need people coming up to me asking why I wasn't at a certain meeting or event when I didn't feel like going to it. I guess the short answer is that I don't want the responsibility of belonging to any club or organization. At this point in my life that's just the way that I am.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Here is the resolution 209X50 is refering too.
What is everyones thoughts on this one?

WILDLIFE RESOLUTION NUMBER W-4-2011
Submitted by: Zone 1
Drafted by: Willow Valley Fish & Game Association
Bighorn Sheep License Waiting Period
BE IT RESOLVED THAT after a Bighorn Sheep hunter has successfully harvested a trophy sheep, they must wait 5 years to purchase another sheep license.
BRIEF: This change would encourage the hunter to be more selective after they have already harvested a ram. This would allow more sheep to mature and also provide better opportunities for more hunters in the field.
Wasn't this voted on last year as well?? Wonder how many times it will be presented until it passes?? My thoughts are 5 years is way too long. Last year when this came up I contacted several people in srd and they all said that with the exception of a couple of southern zones they were happy with the number of legal rams.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm not interested in the politics of clubs. No matter how hard you want to stay away from it and have nothing to do with it, it's always there. Also, I try to have as few ball and chains as possible and I don't need people coming up to me asking why I wasn't at a certain meeting or event when I didn't feel like going to it. I guess the short answer is that I don't want the responsibility of belonging to any club or organization. At this point in my life that's just the way that I am.
I understand your feelings Dave, but that isn't the way it really is in many chapters. Ours has plenty of dues-paying members who apparently haven't shown up in years. They just send in their dues every year. Their way of continuing to support the AFGA and it's work. You really can be involved as much or as little as you wish. The only ball and chain I carry is that I promised to organize a pheasant hunt this fall. That's all, and I didn't have to do it.

Just a good bunch of gents, and I get a few opportunities to do the odd thing with some of them.

So think about it.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 AM

Hunter Dave, if you aren't interested in the Politics, why are you interested in the Resolutions?

I'm pretty sure the results of the resolutions are on the website at some point after conference.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What are the resolutions on the agenda for the conference...........or do you have to be a member of the club to know?
I didn't realize that asking what the resolutions were was like asking what the secret AGFA handshake was. Maybe someone should have posted that this thread was for AGFA members only and outsiders weren't welcomed to post on it. Regardless, the answers to my question pretty much sums up why I don't join clubs and organizations. Good luck attracting new members to your ol' boys club, I don't want to have anything to do with you or anyone like you if that's the general attitude.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I understand your feelings Dave, but that isn't the way it really is in many chapters. Ours has plenty of dues-paying members who apparently haven't shown up in years. They just send in their dues every year. Their way of continuing to support the AFGA and it's work. You really can be involved as much or as little as you wish. The only ball and chain I carry is that I promised to organize a pheasant hunt this fall. That's all, and I didn't have to do it.

Just a good bunch of gents, and I get a few opportunities to do the odd thing with some of them.

So think about it.
My last post wasn't directed to you Oko. Your answer was much better than telling me to mind my own business.