Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Default Hunters group to purchase land

This has probably been asked alot.
But im throwing this out there!
My self and my hunting partner are looking for like minded individuals to start our own hunting group.
Once we have the 5-10 people in place, we will meet, collect deposits, draft our rules and regulations etc.

Theres alot to discuss and our first land purchase will not be until 2014 due to the amount of work needed to be completed before we are in position to buy.

Im thinking all members will require a $2500 or $5000 deposit to join!
Then an annual payment of the same amount til the land is paid.
Funds collected will be placed in a secure account that requires 2-4 members present to make a withdrawal.

Our land will be used as a base camp for hunting a general area. Plus we can hunt it as well.
Any interest reply here or PM!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Where abouts you looking?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:32 PM

This is a good idea!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
Where abouts you looking?
Im thinking the peace region, but as a group we will decide the general location.
Im thinking the peace because land seems to be cheaper overall, the hunting is decent in most places, permission to others land is obtainable.

But as stated before, all options will be discussed!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Think you're gonna need a little more structure than that to get a mortgage. Probably some sort of corporation where all your buddies are legally part owners. I suspect if a guys' name isn't somehow attached to ownership of the land, handing over $2500 each year is going to look like paid hunting.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Interested

I have thought of this also, so I'm potentially in

Gord
Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Gone Hunting

10 guys and their friends hunting a 1/4 or a 1/2 or even a section? I guess it could work. I doubt the locals would respond well to a hunt club moving into the area and hunting their land. Why would they be happy about that? Why would they give permission?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM

We can't even get along on a hunting forum, let alone a piece of hunting property. While the idea has merit, I doubt that it would be a feasible one to implement...JMO
Old 10-09-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Think you're gonna need a little more structure than that to get a mortgage. Probably some sort of corporation where all your buddies are legally part owners. I suspect if a guys' name isn't somehow attached to ownership of the land, handing over $2500 each year is going to look like paid hunting.
Exactly my thinking, form a corporation for land purchases!
Would never expect anyone to pay anything without ownership.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
10 guys and their friends hunting a 1/4 or a 1/2 or even a section? I guess it could work. I doubt the locals would respond well to a hunt club moving into the area and hunting their land. Why would they be happy about that? Why would they give permission?
No one said anything about friends! As for a club moving into an area, that one we shall have to discuss!
Short term plan is to purchase 1 quarter but to hopefully have several quarters within 10 years. Hopefull all linked together.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 PM

my next door neighbor and I was going to do something like that, no one was interested, they all laughed at us, well the next week a section of land came up on the market but was all ducks unlimted land , so we sat here and watched the auction all day , at the end of the day wwe placed our bid at $12,500.00
we now own a section of prime recreational land,and our friends all want to go hunting on it we tell them ( the one that laugh first cry first also )
we got a section of land for cheap, we cant develop it to build a house or clear any bush and trees, but we can cultivate it and grow crops but it don't grow much cuz its low land, but its wild life heaven and we cant be told no when its time to go hunting.
we get a lot of use out of that land and only paid $6000 each
Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
my next door neighbor and I was going to do something like that, no one was interested, they all laughed at us, well the next week a section of land came up on the market but was all ducks unlimted land , so we sat here and watched the auction all day , at the end of the day wwe placed our bid at $12,500.00
we now own a section of prime recreational land,and our friends all want to go hunting on it we tell them ( the one that laugh first cry first also )
we got a section of land for cheap, we cant develop it to build a house or clear any bush and trees, but we can cultivate it and grow crops but it don't grow much cuz its low land, but its wild life heaven and we cant be told no when its time to go hunting.
we get a lot of use out of that land and only paid $6000 each
Thanks for your personal experience, didnt give much thought to auctions before but it certainly is something to look into.
Thank you
Old 10-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boone View Post
No one said anything about friends! As for a club moving into an area, that one we shall have to discuss!
Short term plan is to purchase 1 quarter but to hopefully have several quarters within 10 years. Hopefull all linked together.
SO no friends? How about my dad or my son or my wife and two kids?

I really do wish you luck but I think you need to look at the problems as well. Can I sell my share to my idiot BIL who hates hunting?

1/4 may seem like a lot of land till you put ten guys on it.

If you plan to buy enough land for all of you to hunt on without depending on the locals, you are gonna need a lot of land.

I'd be ionterested to see how many farm/ranch owners would be open to a hunt club of 10 or more members hunting their land for free.

I know I wouldn't.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM

I think the day is coming where you will need to belong to a club as landowners. look at the USA, its landowner, lease holders and clubs of those land and leases to get to hunt the prime areas.

MANY WAYS TO SET UP RULES I PRESUME. have buy out clauses, time share etc.

seems to work other places so maybe it will work here. I am thinking start off with 4 guys and build on it or many sets of 4 partners on diff land. keep the numbers lower, less problems and use lawyer for your contract.

Nothing farmers or landowners can do in the area, you own the land. Alot of farm land now seems to be for recreational purposes. i know of many quarters that were bought for hunting. Better investment that RRSP, my opinion
Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 PM

I am in no position to set rules on my own! I am in search of like minded individuals, obviously you are not. And i mean no offence by that!

As for bringing friends, family, etc. that is something the group will determine as a whole. Im just one of the group.

The area i hunt, i do not see it being a problem with permission, but you may in fact be correct that we will run into this type of scrnario in the future.

Keep in mind guys and gals, this is the very first stages. There is nothing set in stone, just the idea of a dream.

If we can get it to fly, that would be awesome.
If not, so be it.

Quote:
SO no friends? How about my dad or my son or my wife and two kids?

I really do wish you luck but I think you need to look at the problems as well. Can I sell my share to my idiot BIL who hates hunting?

1/4 may seem like a lot of land till you put ten guys on it.

If you plan to buy enough land for all of you to hunt on without depending on the locals, you are gonna need a lot of land.

I'd be ionterested to see how many farm/ranch owners would be open to a hunt club of 10 or more members hunting their land for free.

I know I wouldn't.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Not to mention that's a lot of hunting pressure on a small area and are they going to agree who hunts when and where. Lot of bugs in this theory. Know of a couple of community ownerships like this, but they are just about camping and having a place to park your RV.

Grizz
Old 10-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Gone Hunting

No offence taken and I meant none. You brought the subject up, I'm adding my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it.

As an individual you may have no roblem access private ground in the area to hunt on, but as soon as it is a hunt club, I can see resistance to access.

I have also had some experience with hunt clubs on the west coast.

They secured access by paying some landowners and not others. a lot of landowners liked the idea of someone else 'patrolling' their land for free and keeping trespassers out, until the second year when they found they had many more people on their land than they ever did with Trespassers ignoring a few signs.

It also is the beginning of paid hunting, something that has been resisted strongly in Alberta.

It won't affect me personally either way, but I can see where it would some others.

Why would you want to do this? what is the end game?

Old 10-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Not to mention that's a lot of hunting pressure on a small area and are they going to agree who hunts when and where. Lot of bugs in this theory. Know of a couple of community ownerships like this, but they are just about camping and having a place to park your RV.

Grizz
Thats more of what this is, a basecamp to hunt from.
Not intended to be hunting land as such, sure if someone wants to hunt the land, by all means. But there is no way 1 quarter can accomodate up to 10 hunters.

I know of one group in the peace that has 30 plus members for one quarter.
They have one main camp for everyone to use, then each of them has there own camp site within the quarter.
I have no interest in 30 members, 5-10 maybe even 12 if we get to that number.

They hunt crown land and get theyre own permission as individual hunters.
So far i have 5 people interested, not bad for the first 2 hrs.

I know we can make this work, just have to get the group together and discuss our options. If we dont try, we wont succeed.

As EZE stated, the day will arrive that if your not part of a group, or own land that it will be very difficult to access private land.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM

You start buying up land designated agriculture you may have trouble getting permission on the neighbouring land. Who is financing you?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM

I might be interested, depending on the location and the cost of the land?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM

I dont really know what the end game is!
Maybe be in a position one day that each of the members can have a quarter each with our own cabin/house.

Or maybe keep one quarter to build all the cabins/houses on and keep the other quarters for hunting only.

The end game for me personally would be to hand down such a membership to my girls, so they can have a place to go!

Each of us will have a different end game, but thats human nature. The group will be who decides the end game in the end!

Quote:
No offence taken and I meant none. You brought the subject up, I'm adding my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it.

As an individual you may have no roblem access private ground in the area to hunt on, but as soon as it is a hunt club, I can see resistance to access.

I have also had some experience with hunt clubs on the west coast.

They secured access by paying some landowners and not others. a lot of landowners liked the idea of someone else 'patrolling' their land for free and keeping trespassers out, until the second year when they found they had many more people on their land than they ever did with Trespassers ignoring a few signs.

It also is the beginning of paid hunting, something that has been resisted strongly in Alberta.

It won't affect me personally either way, but I can see where it would some others.

Why would you want to do this? what is the end game?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
You start buying up land designated agriculture you may have trouble getting permission on the neighbouring land. Who is financing you?
We will be financing ourselves, no banks.
We will need farmers to farm the land, so i dont see that becoming an issue!
Dont want to turn the land back to nature, rent the land to farmers.
Make a little extra cash for our find each year.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Can I hunt the land with permission?
Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM

10 guys with 5 grand is 50 grand, don't know of any farm land selling for 50 grand a quarter. Most counties only allow one or two dwellings per quarter.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound View Post
Can I hunt the land with permission?
Thanks
The group will decide if non members can hunt the land with permission.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
10 guys with 5 grand is 50 grand, don't know of any farm land selling for 50 grand a quarter. Most counties only allow one or two dwellings per quarter.
10 guys at $5000 per year equals $50000 the first year, by year 10 we will be at $500,000. Im quite certain we can buy a few quarters with $500,000.

This math work for you?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The group will decide if non members can hunt the land with permission.
It will be interesting to see what happens if the group decides to not allow hunting but tries to acceess surrounding land from locals for hunting.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what happens if the group decides to not allow hunting but tries to acceess surrounding land from locals for hunting.
It will indeed!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
10 guys at $5000 per year equals $50000 the first year, by year 10 we will be at $500,000. Im quite certain we can buy a few quarters with $500,000.

This math work for you?
I guess so. Good luck with your dream.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I guess so. Good luck with your dream.
Thanx