Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. And yes we will be taking pics. we are taking 3 cams with us. 2 Pocket cams and the big D70. I just hope I remember to use the things.

Mole skin is packed!!!

Yet another round of paper work. Our guide will have us hunting in 2 different areas. SOOOOO yet another set of forms for both of us.
Cripes with all the paper work, I assume we might be shooting the 2 last Brown Bears in Alaska. At least these forms do not come with a price tag.

But I will get it done.

I am very surprised that I didn’t feel stiff today after that walk with the heavy pack last night.

Picked up 3 books from the library today.
Hemingway on Hunting
Wild Country.. The best of Andy Russell
Andy Russell's Campfire story’s.

Lots of great reading here.
I also saw a new book by Sid Marty. Unfortunately it was not in. Perhaps next time.

Jamie
Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Banned

The Fitness report......

Everything is feeling good. My feet still do not like the rubber boots.. But so be it. It's manageable.

I have been doing a new route that has included the biggest hill I could find. Its one mile exactly. I also have been using a fully loaded pack. (Approx 40 pounds)
So, big hill, rubber boots and a full pack.. My time tonight was 18.5 minutes!!!
YAHOO!!
I think I have done as much as I could in the short period of time that I had.
I started out on flat ground with runners and no pack.. It took me over 25 minutes. (Man was I beat up that first week or so.)
I think I am ready to go. Just finish some packing, wrap up some stuff at the office and BOOM.. We are out of here.

This is going to be a blast.

Jamie
Old 04-24-2008, 11:41 PM

I take it you're leaving any day now..................keep safe and put some brown on the ground. hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I mean that in a good way lol.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:22 AM

PM sent
Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 AM

good luck on your hunt jamie. i hope it's as fun as it sounds
Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 AM

Good luck Jamie.

Can't wait to see your pics.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

Thanks guys.

In speaking with our guide, he says the weather is getting BAD.
Lots of rain, big waves(14-20feet), a gale and small crafty warning has been issued.
I guess that’s why they want 10 day hunts up that way.
To Baranof expeditions credit, they have us set up so that when we get to Sitka, they will have both a plane and a boat waiting for us. That way we have the best chance to get to the lodge. He said there was a small chance we could end up having to ride out the weather in Sitka, but at least its not due to poor planning on his part. I like the effort so far.

Like I said in a PM.
I wanted a adventure.. Now I am going to get one!!

The guides description of what is happening up there was good to hear.
He said.. Some Bays are still iced up, others are brown and others are green. The green ones are really attracting the bears. Its almost like they are concentrating them. More than a few bears have been seen so far.

24 hours from now, the dream will have started. How in the heck am I going to sleep tonight? I think I have done everything I can. I am still not sure how I am going to get the skull back (If I get lucky) But I will get that straight up there. The expeditors price is just stupid. The last guy I called wanted $800.. And I have already done the paper work and paid the fees.

Jamie
Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 AM

so you are going on this hunt!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 AM

Have an awesome adventure, Jamie! We will be expecting a full report, pictures, and video to be uploaded within hours of you returning home. What day will that be?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:47 AM

Good luck dude!!! Take lots of pics and enjoy the ride....
Old 04-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Banned

Well, I am heading off to bed. I think I have everything. Van is packed.
The only thing I am missing is my slip on Limb saver pad. But I am hoping to buy one in Sitka.

This is a long lived dream of ours. I really think it started back in the late 70's, when Dad would talk of the BROWN BEARS OF ALASKA.
I cant believe in less than 24 hours we will be standing on some far off beach in Alaska. I think I am in awe of the whole idea.

I encourage everyone to try to follow what ever dream they have had in the past. Its never going to get cheaper and your never going to get younger.

Lots of pics when I get back. I hope that there is a few of a bear or 2. If not..thats ok. I bought an adventure, not a kill.

See you all in a few weeks.

Jamie
BTW. Thanks for all the PM's and calls. They were really appreciated.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Default Enjoy!!!

Hey Jamie

Enjoy your hunt and make the most of it, take lots of pictures and we are looking forward to hear from you as soon as you get back.

There re a lot of guys that would like to do what you are doing, and I am one of them.

Enjoy!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 PM

Jamie and Jim, have an awesome adventure. Trip of a lifetime!

I have a friend on Kodiak at this very moment chasing 'em with his bow, and my two partners leave on May 5. They are driving up to Anchorage from Calgary as this hunt was so last minute, they had no hope of getting passports in time. Jump in the truck and go!

There's going to be some pretty cool pics and vids in early June for sure! Good luck to all!

Tree
Old 04-26-2008, 10:44 PM

Default Awesome!

I'm so jealous Jamie - you're doing my dream hunt - best of luck, stay safe, stay dry and straight shooting!

Can't wait to see the pics and hear the story!

tyee43
Old 04-27-2008, 11:08 AM

Good luck, Jamie. Enjoy the hunt. I know you said you signed up for the adventure but I hope you get one of those big guys.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 AM

I wonder how Jamie's hunts going.He should be just finishing up.I can't wait to see pics.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Indeed, alot of buildup on this one, i think alot of people felt the anticipation. Should have some good stories to tell!!
Old 05-08-2008, 01:03 PM

I'm guessing he may be working his way back to our part of the world about now. Looking forward to the stories and pics!

Last edited by slopeshunter; 05-08-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:18 PM

jaime if you are getting blisters from your rubber boots...skip the mole skin and use high quality duct tape......tape your feet when they are warm, clean and dry and then leave it on till you are done......slicker than snake snot...no friction means no blisters. keep the moleskin in the first aid kit....but duct tape is a proactive measure for sure.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:08 AM

Is Jamie back yet?? I am excited to hear the story and see some pics!!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Banned

Well we finally made it back.
What a HUNT!!
Dad took a 8' bear (I will let him tell the story in his own words, I was not there when it happened) I was not as fortunate in that regard, but I managed to get on numerous stalks and had a Brown bear at 20 feet. Even up till 8 pm on the final night I was chasing bears. I really felt I hunted my hardest. It just didn’t work out in that regard (Killing). But I sure as hell got a adventure that can never be forgotten
One bear was estimated at 1200 pounds and was regarded as the largest bear seen in 15 years.
There was that big bear then a bear called the "Goat Killer" then a VERY VERY lucky XL bear on the beach. And then about another 5 bears I chased
The guide said he had never had a client get inside the zone on 3 massive bears on the same hunt.

Full story's and pics to follow.
I kept a bit of a journal and was thinking about posting it almost word for word.
I am trying to get back up there for another few days at the end of the month. This hunt isn’t over yet.

Sorry this is so small, but we had major screw ups in our flights. I have to go to bed.
Oh yeah.. I am on the "watched" list for American TSA now. They will be sending me a nice letter with a possible fine in the next little while.
GRRRRRRRRRRR

One thing I have to say is the quality of my Guides was beyond all expectations. I know they were more disappointed that I didn’t get a bear than I was. Hunters and Gentlemen to the core!

Jamie
Old 05-09-2008, 08:38 PM

Congrats Jamie,cant wait to see your pics.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 PM

Sounds like you had a great hunt regardless.

I cant wait to see the pics and hear more about your hunt.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 PM

Well Jamie if you are that happy with out a bear than I guess I would like a PM on the outfitter I want to give it one more go and I want it to be satisfying with or without the bear congrats on a great Hunt and Adventure and I hope you get in a couple more days for sure and congrats to your dad *8' is a stack of bear in anyones books
Old 05-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Lets hear some stories, some gear reviews, and see some pictures from your trip.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Can't wait to hear the story and see some pics- Stalking giant bears of the AK coast is the be-all-and-end-all of hunting adventures, as far as I am concerned.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:10 AM
TundraBuck

Great to hear your father got one Jamie. I'm happy for him. I have been following your story for a while now and had the thought in the back of my head for the last week if you guys had gotten one or not. Looking forward to hearing story(s) and pics.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:22 AM

Good to hear the trip went safely and you enjoyed your time. Congrats to your dad!! Too bad about your luck but sounds like you had a fun hunt and saw lots of bears and enjoyed it.

Cant wait to see pics and hear how the hunt was overall!!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Welcome home!

Can't wait to hear the story and see your pictures...

Welcome home!

tyee43
Old 05-10-2008, 11:41 AM

Good to hear Jamie,
Makes you want to go back for sure.

TBark