Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Ummm, yeah.........can you take a cheque?

I just found out today that the guy who mentored my mentor in to the world of bowhunting is heading up to AK to bowhunt a big brown for a full 3 weeks. He is connected with family up there I believe so he is all set. I'll have to mention filming it. Sounds like a blast though! Keep us updated.

Tree
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Hey Jamie,

In case you're not already doing it .... try doing some leg/calf stretches for about 5 minutes after you get home from your walk, and you'll find that your shins won't ache. I'm pounding away on a treadmill every night recovering from a heart attack - and find that it works for me.

Best of luck on your adventure!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:55 PM

Hi Jamie,

Why don't you try riding an exercise bike to work on your cardio? It will give your walking legs a rest and still be working towards your hunt. I was trying to do both (30 min bike/30 min treadmill), and complaining that I didn't have time to do other exercise. My DR told me to concentrate on the bike as it worked the cardio more (I am unable to run anymore, but can walk the treadmill at 3.7mph at 7 degree incline). I now do 30 min on bike and 10 min on the tread. Can do a 1/2 mile in just over 8 min walking. A great improvement since 2005 when I needed a walker!

I have heard good things about the AlphaBurly boots. Cabelas has them. Matter of fact, I would look for your rainwear at Cabelas. They push the MT050 fairly hard for Alaskan hunting. I have not had trouble ordering the proper size clothing from Cabelas, except for my 2x+ noggin. You should have plenty of time to get an order from Cabelas.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 AM

Default Hey Jamie, congrad's on your upcomeing hunt.....

Have you considered swimming as an alternative for your cardio? you get to use just about every muscle in youe body when you swim, and it takes the weight and pressure off of your knees, feet, legs etc..........just a thought.
good luck and hunt safe.....mooseburger
Old 04-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Jamie,

I hope the hunt goes well. I'm happy for you and your Dad to be sharing that experience together.

Quote:
The reason I am not takeing my gun is the fact i dont have my Form 6 done to import my rifle into the staes. The web site says 6-8 weeks.. I have 5.
I would think this one over one more time. You are going on a hunt with the expectation of taking what may be the most important shot of your life. I certainly would not want to be doing it with a rifle I was unfamiliar with. I faxed in a ATF form 6 application in March and got it approved and returned in 27 days. It doesn't cost a cent to apply - if you don't get it in time I guess you still have plan B.

Chet

Last edited by Chet; 04-02-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
Jamie,

I hope the hunt goes well. I'm happy for you and your Dad to be sharing that experience together.

I would think this one over one more time. Your are going on a hunt with the expectation of taking what may be the most important shot of your life. I certainly would not want to be doing it with a rifle I was unfamiliar with. I faxed in a ATF form 6 application in March and got it approved and returned in 27 days. It doesn't cost a cent to apply - if you don't get it in time I guess you still have plan B.

Chet
really chet well you are deffinly in with the girls in that office, man alot of people have to wait for that. where you going on your hunt man that you needed that
Old 04-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

Chet.. I also cant find the Ammo I want.
I am fairly confident that I should be ok. I have owned and shot many rifles, so this will not be that big of a deal. I plan on banging off a box or 2 of shells once I get there.
Things are going to be ok!

BTW I just found out I need a CITES permit. I am in the proccess of figuring that all out now. The problem is, my guide is used to dealing with Americans.
It will get done. I was thinking about leaving the hide to get it tanned up there. Any thoughts?

Jamie
Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM

Sounds good Jamie. I'm sure you won't have a problem.

Quote:
really chet well you are deffinly in with the girls in that office, man alot of people have to wait for that. where you going on your hunt man that you needed that
I'm just going down to Montana for cheap beers and Wild Turkeys. I have been getting that Form 6 every year for a long time so maybe once you are "in the system" it comes quicker... I'm not sure.

Chet
Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Banned

Chet, I am trying to get out and use the exact same gun that a friend owns before I make the trip.
The more I shoot, the better off I will be.

Jamie
Old 04-04-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I was thinking about leaving the hide to get it tanned up there. Any thoughts?
Jamie, If you can get your CITES permit in place and get that hide frozen solid before you leave I would try to bring it back with you. It's always nice to have it near in case you need to track down the taxidermist and shipping it later will probably be way more than paying the extra baggage fee on the airline. I bet your boy would love to see it too - even if it is just a big frozen ball.

Chet
Old 04-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Banned

Chet, I am going to get that part of it straight this weekend. I will let you know what we decided to do.

Got some new gear gear today! Mom and Dad made it back from Arizona with my new Lacrosse Rubber boots in tow. They are so close to fitting it is sick.
Its the top of my feet that the problem is. The boots are just a hair to tight, but I am going to wear them for a few days and see if I can get them to work.

Any ideas on how to stretch a Rubber boot? I only need a 1/8 of a inch or so.
I was thinking that if they dont get more comfortable, I would hit a shoe maker and get him to try and stretch them with a stretcher and perhaps a bit of heat.. Any thoughts?

I also got 2 pairs of "Smart Wool" socks.. I am not sure if $20/pair makes them smart or me dumb.... But supposedly they are the best. I hate being cold.. I am nothing if not a big cry baby!:tongue:

Jamie
Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I also got 2 pairs of "Smart Wool" socks.. I am not sure if $20/pair makes them smart or me dumb.... But supposedly they are the best. I hate being cold.. I am nothing if not a big cry baby!:tongue:

Jamie
I only wear Smart Wools now when hunting.....I wear the liners as well as the sock and the combo is amazing...both in warm weather and in the very cold stuff....they simply are comfortable as all hell for hiking in. No blisters, no sweaty feet...just comfort. Well worth the price IMO....

As for your boots and the fit, do they have insoles you could take out and swap for a smaller/thinner insole? Might give you some more room in the top of the boot....if not, I'm not sure what your best option is...

God man....lots of planning in a short time to make sure things are all right eh? Keep at it!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

Ahh.. the insole thing.. Good point!!

Well I am off right now to go buy a Rain coat. I have decided to forget about the Gortex stuff and just go buy a heavy duty rubber jacket.
I find it frustrating that I cant start to get organized yet. But the renovations will be done on our house this week sometime. Then I can start the pile!!

Jamie
Old 04-06-2008, 10:10 AM

Red face

Holy smokes Jamie.........thats a little quicker then you thought!!

Good luck my friend, you and your pa will have a blast I'm sure.

Like Trev said, Smartwool socks coupled with a liner (I use wig-wam), I think they're silk. This system could possibly save you some real grief on your feet.

Make sure you take a good head lamp.
Also, its often over-looked, but I would recommend you dont, take a good quality rain cover for your pack.
Dont forget Moleskin
I really wished I was able to get a pair of neoprene gloves, but Cabelas was back ordered. I ended up taking a set of their MT050 gloves, a pair of their Outfitters fleece gloves, and a pair of Deer skin gloves w/ HH glove liners inside, my hands were ALMOST always dry & comphy, but still would have rathered the neoprene.
IR to Cabelas MT050 rain gear. My guide up there had a brand new jacket that his previous client had left him, the 1st time he wore it, he was thoroughly soaked to the bone in IIRC about 5 hrs......I would save the goretex to lower 48 type hunts, and would not take it to AK (although you have the option of getting it mostly dried out every night). I had Rivers west & loved it, never failed me at all, if not rivers west then I would take Sitka or Swazi.......and thats it! I also had a (new Impertech) HH rain jacket for redundancy, I used it a fair bit as well, but that was sitting & glassing & not hiking.
I used HH poly-pro long undies & undershirt. I was always warm & dry underneath
I took 2 (non-water proof) jackets & a vest. A Woolrich jacket with thinsulate
a Cabelas Outfitter fleece with wind shear & a Columbia wool vest. Under one of these I wore HH Poly pro shirt, Cabelas wool sweater w/windshear and was always warm. For the bottom I had HH poly pro long undies or HH wool undies & usually just my Rivers west pants. For walking I wore the same combo of underwear & and either full length cotton camo pants, or cut-off camo pants with neoprene "bog buster" waders from Cabelas.
This brief list was for me on the Pen, like I said earlier, you have an advantage in that you can have things dried out on the boat every night.

I had a pretty thorough list made up for you & gunslinger, but some how lost it on my computer.

Like gunslinger said, take time to smell the roses.......all to often during my guiding days, I have had clients that had the trip of a lifetime pass by, without even noticing...........slow down a little & realize the lifelong memories & adventure you & your Dad are going to have.

good luck my friend. Your a lucky sod..........your doing a hunt that thousands can only dream of!!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Grampa Jim

Tried my walk tonight in my rubber boots.

OUCH OUCH OUCH

Blister on the back of my right heel. my instep feels like it has been in a vice...
OH OH....

I am still going to keep trying to work them in.. But I am not sure if it is going to work. I could only make it aprox 3/4 of a mile.

Sounds like my CITES permit might be a bit of a pain...

Jamie
Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 AM

Jamie most taxidermist do the cities for you if it needs to cross borders I believe. Maybe call up a few pf them up there and see what they think and what the costs will be to get the work done. Who knows, it may be easier and if it ends up around the same costs then it is one less thing to work on. I would also hate for you to loose the hide on the plane for some reason and not get it back before it unthaws. Probably not too good for the hide.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Banned

Well it has been a bit, so I thought I would throw out a update.

I now have the mile down to 15 minutes. Vast improvement. I know my first walk was 25 minutes
Next up is walking with the rubber boots. Last time that really hurt, but since then I have managed to wear them around town. I am going to ball practice in them tomorrow.. That should help.

The weight keeps dropping I think I am down another 5 pounds over the last week.I keep this up and I will be sitting at 300 or so before I go.

Bought a rubber "dry bag " today, also some smart wool liners.
Renovations are almost done, so packing will start this weekend, followed by a just a bit more shopping.

No wolf hunting for us on this trip. Wolf is only open till end of April, and they are on a different island than the Brown bears.. BB comes first!

Cites permit is a massive pain, but I am making a bit of progress.

Dad is out walking and eating very healthy. He sounds very excited.

We are having a very tough time getting out to the range. We had it planned for a all day excursion to ALFORD lake this weekend, but the weather says -4 and snowing. That doesn’t make for a great day at the range. We might just have to suck it up and go. Its not going to be much nicer up in Alaska, so it might be good practice.
Is anyone a member around Calgary? I sure would appreciate a closer range. I would gladly trade a day shooting clays for a hour at a rifle range that is close to home.

Thanks
Jamie

Only 12 more sleeps till we hit the dream trip!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Well, I thought I was done shopping..
NOPE!
I picked up some new "Base" layers today.. Funny I though they used to be called Long Johns.. Who knew....

Anyhow, I started to pack today and was trying on all my gear.. My "Base" layer was WAY to big, also my old time hunting shirt was beyond repair. So off to WSP.
I bought Under Armor and Sitka Gear.(very cool getting into clothes that normal people buy!!) Along with another pair of sweat pants (I love these pants, they are Browning's and are very weather resistant) My old pair got a big hole in them when our guide in the NWT tried to start a fire with them).. Oh and some Rubber, insulated fuzzy gloves.
Man I was not planning on spending any more cash.. But what do I do now... Don’t go????

It was kinda cool being down all this weight and having to buy some new 2008 gear.. I know my old long Johns are at least 15 years old and my Hunting shirt has to be at least 12 years old. That’s the thing about good quality gear.. It does last. Neither item owes me anything, but yet I felt really bad about having to give them up to the rag pile. who gets attached to clothes??????

Only 8 more sleeps.. I cant wait!!!
Oh I should add.. I finaly got my CITES permit figured out, Then I had to get a export permit, Then I applied for my tags over the phone, then I had to apply for a permit to hunt BB.
The Cites and the Permit require a Original signature. SO I had to Fed ex up two different packages to two different citys in Alaska. What a friggen hassel. I just want to go hunting!!!

But Its all done now. All the people in Alaska were very helpful and nice to talk with on the phone.

Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 04-19-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Banned

Oh, I also should add this.
My guide has already taken out two seven foot black bears this season. And in speaking with AFG and the sporting good stores, more than a few Browns have already been hauled in off the beaches. I think we are going to time this hunt very well.

I know our guide wants us to hunt Blacks as well, but I am haveing a tough time justifying any extra cash towards that.
But who the heck knows. I will decide when I get there and see just how much he wants.

Jamie
Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 PM

How are the boots working Jamie? Have you tried BAMA socks in them? They make rubber boots actually comfortable to walk in. I have bought them at Work Wearhouse. Maybe an option?

Good luck on your trip.

To bad about the weather now, or maybe we could have went to the range this weekend.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Oh, I also should add this.
My guide has already taken out two seven foot black bears this season. And in speaking with AFG and the sporting good stores, more than a few Browns have already been hauled in off the beaches. I think we are going to time this hunt very well.

I know our guide wants us to hunt Blacks as well, but I am haveing a tough time justifying any extra cash towards that.
But who the heck knows. I will decide when I get there and see just how much he wants.

Jamie
How could you pass on 7 foot black bears
Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
How could you pass on 7 foot black bears
Ehntr...
Well since he wants $5,000 for Black. I found this rather expensive.
I might have to do some dealing.
I know those are some HUGE blacks, but still thats a ton of coin.

AB. The boots.. THE STUPID BOOTS!! I can make them work for a hour or so.. But thats it. I will be carrying them in my pack. I will put them on as needed.
Your right about this weather. I am not sure I will get out. Perhaps next Saturday. It sure would be nice to spend some time behind the scope.
If Sat will not work, I am just going to suck it up and head out. Even if only for one box of shells.

Jamie
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

I took my Lacross boots for a walk tonight with my hunting socks..
Not a chance these things will be comming with me.
Severe cramping after 1/4 mile.
I will just have to make do with what I have.

Perhaps I will check out Red wing and see what they have.

Jamie
Old 04-20-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I took my Lacross boots for a walk tonight with my hunting socks..
Not a chance these things will be comming with me.
Severe cramping after 1/4 mile.
I will just have to make do with what I have.

Perhaps I will check out Red wing and see what they have.

Jamie
That sucks....but from the past posts it definatly sounded like they werent going to work for you. What are you going to wear instead? God I'd hate to be in the spot you are trying to find footwear for such an important hunt so close to the date. Hope you get it solved and figure out before ya leave...

Sounds like other stuff is going along well.....thats good! Get out to the range...even if its miserable and crappy......even if it just gets ya back in the groove a bit and really confident before you leave....

If theres any gear ya need, let me know......
Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 PM

if you are still having sore shins, try laying a bath towel on the floor in front of you while sitting, then use your toes to scrunch the towel into your feet.

I used to get really bad shin splints when i was in the military, and that worked for me.

Good luck on your hunt, and enjoy.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

Alberta. No.. The body is doing great. Even after a Ball the other night I was good to go.
Its these stupid boots.

I just found a site with wide rubber boots (rockys). I am going to do some more reaserch and see if I can get them sent up to Sitka. Hopefully they can beat me there.
Now I do have a pair of regular rubber boots. I am going to try them out later tonight.. (If they dry out) If not I will go for a walk in them tommorow.
Or another idea I have is to just wear a thin pair of liner socks inside them..(The lacross)

Thanks for the offer of equipent Rack. I think the only thing I am missing is a pair of 7x50 Binos.

Jamie
Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

Decision has been made..
I am taking my old rubber lace up boots.
If I get lucky and find a pair in Sitka that works.. Well so be it.
These boots are approx 4 inches shorter than the pair that does not fit.
I cant believe I got myself so worked up about a stupid pair of boots.
WHEW.. Glad that is over with.

Did my walk tonight in the Old rubbers. They felt ok. I noticed that my walk slowed approx 1.5 minutes. I blame it on the snow and the boots.

Tomorrow I start with the pack. My legs are feeling good. No pain in the Shins, muscles are good and I am not wasted after one mile.
I might even do another mile later tonight.

Now I have to find some time to go shooting!

Jamie
Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Banned

Well the pack was loaded. (Paint cans, Bricks, water)
I didnt do to badly. My time was down to 20 minutes or so, and I really didnt bust my butt.
A few strange looks by some neighboors as I walked by in my Camo jacket, rubber boots and a full pack.
No one asked what I was doing.. They were probably afraid

I will see how I feel in the AM. I managed to put some bigger hills into my walk tonight. I also bumped 2 Mule does in a open field.
Only 5 more nights.
I watched the Promo video from Baranof expeditions again last night. It sure got me pumped up.

Tommorow should be the end of the Renos, then I can really start to get ready.

I need to find some good hunting books to take with me. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone want to sell/Loan me a book or 10?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 04-23-2008, 03:32 AM

All I can say is WOW this has came fast glad you are ready and I wish you the best and BIGGEST. Can't wait to see pictures be safe and well!!

I'm sure you know this but with earlier talk of blisters make sure you take plenty of Moleskin it will save you

Get em!
Old 04-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Default pics

I'm with Donny on this one. Let's see some pics when you get back! I for one will have to live vicariously thru others on this board for hunts like this. I might as well see some pictures and dream of times to come.