Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Question Remote Trail Cameras

Hi---Does anyone have any experience with the trail cams that transmit images via e-mail? There are claims that they will work in Alberta?? Thanks--
Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Yes they do work and as far as I know it's either Rodgers or bell that has the best data plan for them as well
Old 04-15-2012, 01:26 PM

Any specific brand that somebody has used in Alberta?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM

I think it's the acorn brand of cameras. I was talking to the guys that were selling them at the sportsmen show
Old 04-15-2012, 02:20 PM

These sound like they could be great. Sounds like perhaps you'd get a photo emailed to you right away..or soon, anyway.

Anybody know who makes them? Cost? Website?

Do you have to be within range of a cell tower or do they connect to satellite?

I found this one on eBay. Looks like you'd need to buy a plan for it because it needs a SIM card. Are there other brands/models???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UWAY-UOVISIO...-/290641061858
Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM

Default Camera

Contact U-WAY outdoors. I had someone give me one for my birthday last year. I just got it all set up. I have not tried it yet but i will in may. The cost was 349.00 for the Camera. I believe it costs 32.00$/ Month for the plan from rodgers.Was easy to set it up with rodgers. U-WAY Outdoors# Is 306-241-5513 check there web sight at sales@uwaycanada.ca My model of camera is UM562 8.0 mp camera.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 AM

A lot of the areas I hunt have no cell coverage. Guess they wouldn't do me much good!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 AM

I'm going to set up a bunch along the park boundary. It will be great to instantly know when the Rams leave the sanctuary.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM

lot of areas i hunt have no rogers service but have telus ?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
lot of areas i hunt have no rogers service but have telus ?
Telus should be okay according to the description.
Uvision UM562 CELLULAR CAMERA FEATURES:

•Have pictures sent in real time to your cell phone or email via GSM network
•Supports MMS / SMS / Email via GSM network (EXAMPLE: ROGERS CANADA)
•MMS / EMAIL instant transmission resolution 640 x 480
•View pictures and video in field on 2.0" built in screen
•8 Mega Pixel, high quality picture and video
•Sound recording video
•Time-Lapse Mode
•Compact size (4.0 X 5.5 X 2.25 inches)
•Ultra low stand-by power consumption
•16 GB SD card capacity
•Quick trigger time = 1 sec.
•PIR Sensor detection distance - up to 50 feet
•Lockable with mounting strap and security box
•Innovative remote control included, easy to operate
•INCLUDES: Camera, nylon mounting strap, USB computer cable, and instructions
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Banned

This would be great I have some areas around my buildings that I don't have power for my standard cameras tried normal trail cams. but is a pain checking pics this will work. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM

Some great features for sure, One main feature is still missing.
The ability to turn them on and off remotely, like by calling to the unit.
I have heard horror stories of unwanted / false pictures being transmitted and over run cell charges into the hundreds of dollars. People rushing out to the bush to shut them down.
When they have the feature of activating and de activating them remotely, then I will give one a try. Gotta love technology.

TBark
Old 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM

You dont need to get a cell phone "plan" to make these work. All you need is a pre paid sim card from any store, make sure it is on the appropriate network, get a pre paid card that makes you pay by the minute for phone calls since you wont be needing them, then make sure it has a $30 worth of data on it or how ever much you want to spend. This way you can call the provider of the card and once it begins to run out of data you can put more money on it to keep it going. Most people will not have them out year round, so paying for a data plan monthly to me is just a waste of money. Put a good set of lithium batterys in the camera and you should be able to get 500+ photos out of a set. Also each time the camera sends you pictures it tells you what the battery level is at so no need to go out and check it.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:14 PM

It was because of these that Trail cameras have been banned in Montana during any open big game season.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM

I agree that during hunting season it could be seen as un-ethical forsure, a picture could come in and a guy is in his truck 2 minutes later and at the spot where the animal is. Im sure everyone on here will have a different opinion on that matter though.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
It was because of these that Trail cameras have been banned in Montana during any open big game season.
And I suspect we will see similar legislation here before long. The paperwork is in progress.

I have no problem with non-remote transmitting trail cameras during the hunting season, but the use of remote instant notification cameras can lead to serious complications if used during hunting seasons.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 PM

With the significant number of trail camera thefts reported on this forum, I thought this communications feature might reduce the number as the thief's picture would be sent along with the date & time and in some models the current GPS location!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 PM

The only Problem i have seen with these is everytime you transmit a picture back to you it costs money.. i sometimes have 300 pictures on my camera and 30-40 of the same animal going by again and again.. each of those at so much a picture will add up fast.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbgamehunter View Post
The only Problem i have seen with these is everytime you transmit a picture back to you it costs money.. i sometimes have 300 pictures on my camera and 30-40 of the same animal going by again and again.. each of those at so much a picture will add up fast.
You just get on a plan that works, I signed one for 32.00/month unlimited pictures sent to your phone and e-mail account. I actually just like the other ones as i have 11 of them but i will try this one for 1 season.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 PM

Here is a quick run down on the cellular cameras mentioned above...

Currently all cellular cameras I am aware of in Canada run on the GSM cellular networks. GSM networks are the most popular worldwide and the hardware is cheaper than 3G and CDMA.

Rogers is GSM / 3G(HSPA)
Telus, Bell, and Sasktel are CDMA / 3G(HSPA)

A GSM network camera would need to have a (eg. Rogers) network SIM card to operate, but can send photos to any cellular network phone number.

The HCO Uvision UM562 mentioned above is a GSM cellular camera. Consumers can purchase a SIM card from Rogers for $10 and activate it. Most people set it up on a Pay-as-you-go unlimited photo texting plan for $20-30/month. This means the camera can transmit unlimited photos per month at this cost.

You can input up to 4 cell phone numbers and/or email addresses to have the camera transmit the photos to instantaneously. If your current cell phone plan charges you to receive photos, you can have them sent to your email address. You can also limit the number of photos you want the camera to transmit per day and the time you want the camera active.

**We are working hard to release a UWAY 3G Black Flash cellular camera this summer...it will allow you to talk to the camera and change settings via text messaging. It will cost more than the GSM cameras but will be compatible with the other cellular networks. You can view the PDF link below to see more info on it...

You can click the UWAY banner ad at the top of this Alberta Outdoorsmen page to see the details of the Uvision UM562 camera.

You can see a list of Canada dealers at: UWAY Outdoors Canada Dealers

A PDF version of the 2012 UWAY standard game cameras and UWAY cellular cameras can be seen at: UWAY 2012 Camera PDF Download or View ((You can click the pdf link and wait for it to view (5MB) or right click and download the PDF to make it faster))
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
And I suspect we will see similar legislation here before long. The paperwork is in progress.

I have no problem with non-remote transmitting trail cameras during the hunting season, but the use of remote instant notification cameras can lead to serious complications if used during hunting seasons.

Agreed. I think it's in the same class of hunting technology as the use of feeders. It enables hunting an area with too great an intensity/efficiency, imo.

Others will surely disagree