Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Double D it would be awesome if you could let us know how you're hunt goes. Good Luck out there. This will be my first time on base also for the 2nd rifle hunt season. Look forward to hearing from ya.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM

Does anyone know how many draws were given for the muzzleloader season? Just want to know what I can expect for amount of hunters being as this is my first time hunting the camp
Thanks.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redarrow View Post
Does anyone know how many draws were given for the muzzleloader season? Just want to know what I can expect for amount of hunters being as this is my first time hunting the camp
Thanks.
They let in 200 hunters each season...

Will be there 1st Rifle season
Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 PM

Plus all us moose hunters will be in there. 30 or so. And a few elk hunters also
Old 11-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Arsenault View Post
Plus all us moose hunters will be in there. 30 or so. And a few elk hunters also
For moose you can hunt the full season correct (all 15-20days)? but during the Muzzle Loader/bow/Shotgun season you have to use something other than rifle?

LC
Old 11-28-2011, 04:21 PM

This year they split up the seasons. I got drawn for the first one. Primitive. I get 3 days to kill a moose that took a p 10.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Arsenault View Post
This year they split up the seasons. I got drawn for the first one. Primitive. I get 3 days to kill a moose that took a p 10.
That's crappy... I was drawn for my moose 2 yrs ago, got him early with my muzzleloader, but it was nice to know I had time if needed, with my priority all used up.

Sheep we were there last year for 1st rifle, not primitive, so diferent time than you. It was the 6th trip for us, and by far the fewest in both number and quality of animals that we've seen.

I was a guide/spectator last year, and will be due for my primitive drawnext year, so I'm anxious to see results from this year as well as quality...
Old 11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Sheep we were there last year for 1st rifle, not primitive, so diferent time than you. It was the 6th trip for us, and by far the fewest in both number and quality of animals that we've seen.

:
According the base biologist...apparently you were looking in the wrong spots. Might explain your lack of deer sightings in 312 Just kidding but couldn't resist. It was a good year on the base for us and nice to see the bios numbers reflect that. I'm not losing my mind
Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Had a great hunt on the base last year.Saw lots of mulie and Whitey bucks as welll as a pile of moose. We probably seen more Mulie bucks the first day of the hunt then any of the other 5 times we have hunted the base.Not much of the base was shut and it was fun to check out some new areas. Killed a 135 whitey and a 160 mule and had chances at a couple 150 whiteys.Lots of big bucks killed the whole hunt.

Extra tags so sure cant complain..
Old 11-28-2011, 06:56 PM

This fall when we did "Round Up" in the community pasture and the east annex., we saw very few deer, compared to the other years. The Moose and the Elk numbers where about the same as last year. I asked the guys when we got back to the corrals, what they saw for deer on the "drives" and most of them never saw a deer. Last year when we were bring cattle through the bush back to the catch pens, there were always deer bounceing out of the bush around us, but not this year.

Last May riding through the hills, we found lots of dead Mule Deer, we have lots of fat coyotes runing around this year. The base should let the hunters shoot any "dogs" they come across, instead of haveing the coyote hunt in January.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 PM

How does that coyote hunt on the base work? Same rules about wearing orange? Or is it more in line with predator hunting?

ruger300
Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
How does that coyote hunt on the base work? Same rules about wearing orange? Or is it more in line with predator hunting?

ruger300
Unless they introduced something you are not allowed to shoot coyotes while hunting on a base draw tag.....thats how it was last year anyhow.

LC
Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Unless they introduced something you are not allowed to shoot coyotes while hunting on a base draw tag.....thats how it was last year anyhow.

LC
I think he was asking about the base coyote hunt....it's been going on for years.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
For moose you can hunt the full season correct (all 15-20days)? but during the Muzzle Loader/bow/Shotgun season you have to use something other than rifle?

LC
Split seasons for moose-Took the last one(P7) from Dec 12-17, timing it with last deer hunt of Dec 15-17.
Can concentrate on moose til the 15th and then deer if a moose is down. If not hunt moose til the 17th.

I used to get pumped for first rifle season for deer until after waiting for priority I had to hunt unfamiliar areas because the areas I hunted in the past where still closed for military exercises and not yet available for first rifle season. At Wainwright nothing is a given and many times hunting last season dates make for a great hunt.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 PM

The kid was drawn for the weekend of the 16th.
I'm heading down to give him a hand - it will be my third time down - first time in a modern rifle season.
Took two last time there , a mule buck with my .58 hawken and a nice 5X5 White tail with my Jeep!
Cat
Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 PM

I just came across a pic I took of the results board that was up last year. Primitive weapons season total was 153 deer. First rifle total was 136. Second rifle total at the end of day 2 was 62. We left early on day three but the biologist said it was pretty slow. It was my first time up, can't say I was too impressed by the deer numbers, we saw more moose than we did deer. I'll definately go back again if I can, hope there are a few more deer in there next time. From what I heard the trophy quality was way down, lots of spikes and forkhorns. We only saw two whitetail bucks, one really heavy 140-150 and one I guessed at 160-170. I shot both mulie bucks we came across one small one the first day, and a really nice 5by5 that scored just over 181". Got to shoot him two days in a row. Ended up filling my buck tags, my dad ended up with a mulie doe.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM

See ya this thursday morning! I got a antlerless moose tag to fill and my partner has the deer tags so we are going all out this year. Last year wasn't too bad we tagged 4 deer between us. Although we are not horn hunters we did see alot of muley bucks. Just out of range of my muzzle loader is all. ya deer numbers are down this year around the base but it should still be a good hunt!

If you are wondering how we get on the base year after year we are both posted here and have been recieving land owner tags, 3 deer only rule is first one has to be antlerless for us. Then if it is brown it is down!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I think he was asking about the base coyote hunt....it's been going on for years.
Ahh gotcha. I hunt just outside the base its fun to call coyotes in from there and watch em try to find a place to get under the fence.....then when they do its all trouble for them

LC
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Question for you folks. Would it be possible to take 7yo with me to Camp Wainwright hunt? (little one has lost of resolve and outdoor experience and even some snowshoeing experience)
So my question if it's permitted.