Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Default Camp Wainwright

I was wondering if anyone has any current information about Camp Wainwright. I'm heading out there next week for the 2nd season deer hunt. My room is booked and I'm looking forward to it. I'm wondering what kind of deer to expect...how are the mulies? whitetails? Can I guy still get something big out there? Or should I be filling my tags first chance given? I've read some of the pointers in the forums but any other advice or pointers would be appreciated....
Old 11-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Good luck...
Old 11-27-2011, 03:13 PM

IMHO...the Camp hunt USED to be a trophy hunt...the quality and quantity has gone down in there, again this is just my opinion. If you are looking for meat then fill your boots. If you are looking for a trophy I would head East to the annex and put some miles on your boots.

Remember the camp hunt is a sort of "cull hunt" they want you to shoot deer....any deer you see till your tags are filled. That is its sole purpose is to lower numbers. They actually do not like the guys looking for "trophies" because those guys are less likely to pull the trigger.

LC
Old 11-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Thanks Lefty...I"m a sort of a both hunter. I plan on filling my tags, trophy or not. That being said I still hope for something big. Is annex and area within the camp?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 PM

What about Elk in dec .....
anyone have any knowledge of the Elk in the camp
Thnx
SST
Old 11-27-2011, 05:44 PM

The annex is on the east side of the base. Rules for over there are driving only on the main marked trails then walk in to unrestricted areas to hunt. You may drive in those walk in areas to retrieve game but guns need to be unloaded. They'll layout all the ground rules in the morning briefing. Good luck.

ruger300
Old 11-27-2011, 06:05 PM

I have the first season in camp wainwright tag this year, and apparently your supposed to get a package in the mail with details on what time you are supposed to meet at the camp hall for the big pow wow, anyone know what time that might be? probably 7 or so i would guess.....
Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 PM

I believe the first meeting is at 6:45am

ruger300
Old 11-27-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson340 View Post
I have the first season in camp wainwright tag this year, and apparently your supposed to get a package in the mail with details on what time you are supposed to meet at the camp hall for the big pow wow, anyone know what time that might be? probably 7 or so i would guess.....
The 2011 draw booklet says the meeting will start at 6:45 am.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM
sheephunter

I'm guessing things are going to be pretty tough on the base this year. Same number of hunters I think and WAY less deer.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 PM

awesome thanks for the feed back fella's.
yeah thats unfortunate about the deer numbers, im just head hunting down there, hopfully being the first group in i might have a bit of a edge. Definitly wont be heart broken if i eat camp wainwright tag soup though, had a great season.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM

We were there first season rifle lad year and there was fresh snow too. BRUTAL! Then the 4 seasons took place, hard winter... Like I. Said before, good luck it'll be tough sledding.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Im thinking about toughing it out and playing the bowzone area, bring a treestand or 2, really want another bow buck.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
We were there first season rifle lad year and there was fresh snow too. BRUTAL! Then the 4 seasons took place, hard winter... Like I. Said before, good luck it'll be tough sledding.
Odd, we hunted first season last year and the place was crazy with deer. Most big bucks I've seen in years.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 PM

What is the minimum hunter orange a guy needs for the first primitive season (not bow zone, hunting with ML). I heard the minimum was blaze orange vest and hat ? Tnx
Old 11-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Odd, we hunted first season last year and the place was crazy with deer. Most big bucks I've seen in years.
Must be the right place right time thing? We hardly saw any tracks either? I'm comparing this to prior years where we've bee on for rifle, muzzleloader and moose hunts. That was a pretty common theme last year from anyonebwe talked to that's been there before? My brother took a good mulie, I'd guess it would have been one of the bettter shot there last year, but we didn't see numbers or quality like In years past.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
What is the minimum hunter orange a guy needs for the first primitive season (not bow zone, hunting with ML). I heard the minimum was blaze orange vest and hat ? Tnx
Have to wear at least a vest. Can wear red too. No hat required.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:45 PM

I go all out, jacket, bibs, and hat. Seen guys in there with only a traffic safety vest.

ruger300
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Must be the right place right time thing? We hardly saw any tracks either? I'm comparing this to prior years where we've bee on for rifle, muzzleloader and moose hunts. That was a pretty common theme last year from anyonebwe talked to that's been there before? My brother took a good mulie, I'd guess it would have been one of the bettter shot there last year, but we didn't see numbers or quality like In years past.
It was definitely a slaughter over in the annex....some really good muleys as well as some dandy whitetails. Moose everywhere too. We did hunt the river on the last day and saw quite a few deer but they were pretty spooky by then. This was my 5th or 6th trip to Wainright and I'd say it was above average. Like you say, right place and right time I guess.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
It was definitely a slaughter over in the annex....some really good muleys as well as some dandy whitetails. Moose everywhere too. We did hunt the river on the last day and saw quite a few deer but they were pretty spooky by then. This was my 5th or 6th trip to Wainright and I'd say it was above average. Like you say, right place and right time I guess.
That's some encouraging words! I talked to a bunch of guys that have hunted the camp hunt since its creation and they told me that the last two years have been the worse for numbers/trophy quality that they have ever seen. So is good to hear something positive. I haven't been in the camp for a couple years and it was the second rife hunt so stuff was pretty wily.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
When you say first season do you mean Muzzle loader or the first rifle season?

If it was muzzle loader then the quality I saw at check in was much better then than it was for first rifle...

I hunted the annex every day (first rifle) I was there and I could have filled all my tags but nothing would qualify as a "trophy" ....not in my eyes anyway.

My plan is to hunt outside the fence while the season is going in the camp on the areas I have permission....hoping the camp guys will push the critters out to me

LC
Old 11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
When you say first season do you mean Muzzle loader or the first rifle season?

If it was muzzle loader then the quality I saw at check in was much better then than it was for first rifle...

I hunted the annex every day (first rifle) I was there and I could have filled all my tags but nothing would qualify as a "trophy" ....not in my eyes anyway.

My plan is to hunt outside the fence while the season is going in the camp on the areas I have permission....hoping the camp guys will push the critters out to me

LC
We were there for the muzzleloader season. It typically produces the best I think. Deer are pretty calm first day or two.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 PM

I would agree with sheep on several comments. Last year was an above average deer hunt. Lots of good deer were taken. Some of the best two came on the last two days of season ( there's hope for you rifle 4 hunters). One mulie around 200 ntp and 170 whitetail. When the base was flown two weeks after the season the count was around 4500 deer and over 300 moose. That was after 400+ deer were taken and over 80+ moose. The population was at or near record amounts. Take for an example there were only rough 1500-2000 deer in the 70-80s and the first moose was spotted in the mid 80s.
Trophy quality seems to vary and is depends on many variables so is tough to comment on but I am sure there are many opinions on that!

Sadly as everyone knows this area was hit with a tough winter mainly due to a thaw and then deep freeze in Feb. It coated most food sources with ice and then it got covered with more snow. We had some serious winterkill in areas and it probably is around 50%.... but winter surveys will tell us for sure. With the winterkill a lot of mature bucks died and so did the fawns. Fawn crop was also lost as it seems a good % of does aborbed their fetus. So... I think the base hunt will betough like a lot of local hunting is. That being said the field season showed some promise in areas. The moose did great and you can't go far without seeing one!! The elk are also spread out more than ever throughout the base.
I hope this helps and take it for it is..just my opinion on the data and our observations.
Check station opens at 0600 and brief is 0645, min is safety vest for orange and follow the rules. There is a very large set of eyes on this hunt and the future rests on the hunt running smoothly!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
I would agree with sheep on several comments. Last year was an above average deer hunt. Lots of good deer were taken. Some of the best two came on the last two days of season ( there's hope for you rifle 4 hunters). One mulie around 200 ntp and 170 whitetail. When the base was flown two weeks after the season the count was around 4500 deer and over 300 moose. That was after 400+ deer were taken and over 80+ moose. The population was at or near record amounts. Take for an example there were only rough 1500-2000 deer in the 70-80s and the first moose was spotted in the mid 80s.
Trophy quality seems to vary and is depends on many variables so is tough to comment on but I am sure there are many opinions on that!

Sadly as everyone knows this area was hit with a tough winter mainly due to a thaw and then deep freeze in Feb. It coated most food sources with ice and then it got covered with more snow. We had some serious winterkill in areas and it probably is around 50%.... but winter surveys will tell us for sure. With the winterkill a lot of mature bucks died and so did the fawns. Fawn crop was also lost as it seems a good % of does aborbed their fetus. So... I think the base hunt will betough like a lot of local hunting is. That being said the field season showed some promise in areas. The moose did great and you can't go far without seeing one!! The elk are also spread out more than ever throughout the base.
I hope this helps and take it for it is..just my opinion on the data and our observations.
Check station opens at 0600 and brief is 0645, min is safety vest for orange and follow the rules. There is a very large set of eyes on this hunt and the future rests on the hunt running smoothly!
Thanks for the update/info shedcrazy. It will be interesting to see what the count is after they fly it this year.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
We were there for the muzzleloader season. It typically produces the best I think. Deer are pretty calm first day or two.
Ok makes sense....the first rifle was poor compared to the muzzle loader season.

LC
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
TJ I have thought about the amount of pressure all season that borders the base that a large percentage go into the base because they dont get hassled. When i get picked again i think i will try for the first season as well.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 PM

Talking with a few Pennwest operators on the base, they havent been seeing to much of anything out there, looks like some slim pickings.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:45 PM

Thanks for all the info...thats what makes this sight awesome! Guess I'll just have to get in there and see for myself....Almost thinking about packing lawn chairs and finding a good spot to sit in Annex....guess I'll feel it out.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Going up there for the muzzleloader hunt on Thursday, my first time to the base!
I heard in years past they had food bank trucks where you could donate your deer? Do they still require heads for submission as well?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:09 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Going up there for the muzzleloader hunt on Thursday, my first time to the base!
I heard in years past they had food bank trucks where you could donate your deer? Do they still require heads for submission as well?
They'll let you know all that at the meeting on the first morning.