Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
Hey Tack...Just curious how many elk were killed yesterday by Indians using rifles??? I counted 3 myself.
Yep 3 yesterday and another looking for an easy one last week. I don't understand how I can't use a rifle due to safety. But a indian can. Something wrong with that. Hell I made a further shot than them with my muzzleloader.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

i'm glad we can use centerfire rifles for coyote hunting in the bowzone, but i would adapt if they nuked that idea for safety reasons
Old 12-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

i have the jan tag also, new slugger all set up and should be solid on elk vitals to 200 yrds, will look around on spot i had lined long ago and if there great if not will see, not going to be too upset if i don't fill this tag but sure would neat to get one with the new slug gun and those .50 cal 278 grain barnes expanders

p.s. i'll be around during this time boys, if your on em and want to try out the slugger stay in touch, would be happy to loan it to you while you go after em and i'd be happy to sit back and watch, or if you want i'd be happy to come with and if second chance arises to fill my tag then great too, i can also grab the yamaha rhino and drag around with me for those days, could make handy for getting them back to the truck
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
i have the jan tag also, new slugger all set up and should be solid on elk vitals to 200 yrds, will look around on spot i had lined long ago and if there great if not will see, not going to be too upset if i don't fill this tag but sure would neat to get one with the new slug gun and those .50 cal 278 grain barnes expanders

p.s. i'll be around during this time boys, if your on em and want to try out the slugger stay in touch, would be happy to loan it to you while you go after em and i'd be happy to sit back and watch, or if you want i'd be happy to come with and if second chance arises to fill my tag then great too, i can also grab the yamaha rhino and drag around with me for those days, could make handy for getting them back to the truck
Keep an out for the long haired guy hitchin' a ride, begging for access.

BTW, I'm strong and dumb.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Banned

lol, will do, if you see a rhino being towed around you'll know its me....two things would be more important to me on this hunt than filling my own tag...

1. to watch someone else fill their tag and help get it out if i can(ie; rhino)
2. loan someone the new slugger on-site and hopefully there is a place i can watch the action from...and then maybe help get them out
3rd option to join someone and fill my tag as second fiddle or some shizzo

i know some might be protectionist of spots and for good reason, i have more places to hunt than i can hunt, you'd never see me back at another guys spot unless it was with that other guy!

so good luck guys, lets see what we can do to help thin the herd!

in case anyone curious and not seen this, here is the thread of my latest toy, the new savage 220f 20 gauge slugger, i got it zerod at 140 yrds on sunday laying in snow at -15 with gloves on, its first group on paper ever was 3 1/2" at 140 yrds with the barnes .50 cal tipped expander from Federal...pictures on second page of sundays impromtu range work at 140 yrds, you'd hold dead on to approx. 165 yrds and at 200 still on fur

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=75440

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-21-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote

Well, Ive got a whack of property ready to go. The smoke pole is shooting gang busters, and ive got the first day off work. Keep in touch Boys and just maybe we can put a dent in the herd.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
lol, will do, if you see a rhino being towed around you'll know its me....two things would be more important to me on this hunt than filling my own tag...

1. to watch someone else fill their tag and help get it out if i can(ie; rhino)
2. loan someone the new slugger on-site and hopefully there is a place i can watch the action from...and then maybe help get them out
3rd option to join someone and fill my tag as second fiddle or some shizzo

i know some might be protectionist of spots and for good reason, i have more places to hunt than i can hunt, you'd never see me back at another guys spot unless it was with that other guy!

so good luck guys, lets see what we can do to help thin the herd!

in case anyone curious and not seen this, here is the thread of my latest toy, the new savage 220f 20 gauge slugger, i got it zerod at 140 yrds on sunday laying in snow at -15 with gloves on, its first group on paper ever was 3 1/2" at 140 yrds with the barnes .50 cal tipped expander from Federal...pictures on second page of sundays impromtu range work at 140 yrds, you'd hold dead on to approx. 165 yrds and at 200 still on fur

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=75440
What is muzzle velocity? I saw a lot off shooting out of those slug guns and zero hits yesterday. I don't know if I would shoot anywhere near 200 yards with one of those with out major practice. Also you will have to hunt real smart as the elk see any movement or hear anything they are gone. I would recommend your centerfire as you will have to probably make a 3000 yard min shot. Or just bring an indian. Lol
Old 12-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
What is muzzle velocity? I saw a lot off shooting out of those slug guns and zero hits yesterday. I don't know if I would shoot anywhere near 200 yards with one of those with out major practice. Also you will have to hunt real smart as the elk see any movement or hear anything they are gone. I would recommend your centerfire as you will have to probably make a 3000 yard min shot. Or just bring an indian. Lol
muzzle is 1775 fps (ammo rated at 1900)

testers have been getting sub 3" groups at 200 yrds, this gun just came out, first affordable slugger with serious accuracy, click on my thread and find the links to the reviews and data...so far mine is shooting great, show me cow at 200 and i will show you meat in freezer lol
Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
muzzle is 1775 fps (ammo rated at 1900)

testers have been getting sub 3" groups at 200 yrds, this gun just came out, first affordable slugger with serious accuracy, click on my thread and find the links to the reviews and data...so far mine is shooting great, show me cow at 200 and i will show you meat in freezer lol
i know that the one you got is suppose to be the best slugger out there. I also know you can shoot. But to give someone a rifle that has never shot it and say shoot @ and animal @200+ yards in not smart imo. As everybody shoots different. As for the rest of slug guns I don't think they should be shooting out that far. Like I said I seen a lot of sluggs shot yesterday and not one made a hit or a clean kill if it did. I lost a lot of respect for slug guns after that. I used a smoke pole and 12 ringed my elk @254 yards and it took *bout 10 steps and lights out. Like I have always said practice is key. But don't over stretch your weapons ability.nothing against you stinky. I know you could kill an elk probably out to 300 with you gun.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
I have hunted all of these places other than one before. It aint my first rodeo in this zone. Also I have family that use to own land down where this hunt is so I can normally get in were others can't. I just don't understand this hunt. They got over 100 animals in the trap on Mannix's place. I bet not more than 20 get killed on this hunt due to lack of coop from everybody.
Growing up in wmu212 I know where the elk are there aswell,and can more than likely get into some good areas,but it is a Rodeo like you said.Being that close to calgary and in the country,half the people who own land in wmu are'nt farmer's or Rancher's,there just a bunch of yuppy's who moved out of calgary and built million dollar shacks.They dont want to hear gun shots and thats why its a bowzone,not a primative weapons zone like around saskatoon,SK.

However I still apply for the wmu212 elk but have 999 it,(passed it up) for the second year now.I'm saving it for a year when I know that I wont get any other draw tags,even then I dont know if I want the P.O.S.

However ,congrats on getting your elk,i'm sure that it will taste great!