Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 PM

Default Calgary area Butchers!?!

Any thoughts on Calgary area wild game butchers......
Also maybe the low down on longview meats or Red Deer Lake meats just south of town???
Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 PM

Gour-Mart used to be pretty good. You should think about doing your own. It's really not that difficult.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:36 PM

I've used and would recomend Ryan's Meats in the NE, or Paolini's in the SE. I prefer the sausage that Paolini's makes, but the won't make jerky. Ryan's jerky is pretty darn good, as is their sausage, but Paolini's sauasage is just a bit better in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 PM

I got shafted by Ryans 2 years ago..........thats why I do my own now.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino54 View Post
I got shafted by Ryans 2 years ago..........thats why I do my own now.
What happened at Ryan's for you?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:56 PM

Another vote for Paolinis....just north of 58 Ave near the old Wholesale Sports location. I used to go to Gour Mart but had some issues and made a change.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 PM

What happened to Rambo's at 52nd st and 17th ave? He was the butcher at Co-op that went off on his own and did wild game cutting and then disappeared.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 AM

hmmm. I would consider doing my own but I dont think it'll be this year as this season will hopefully be fully of many other firsts. Like harvesting game.

I am a big fan of Jerky so opinions on where to get that done would be awesome. Thanks for the feed back, hopefully more to come.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
I am a big fan of Jerky so opinions on where to get that done would be awesome. Thanks for the feed back, hopefully more to come.
It's a bit of a drive from Calgary, but Back Country Butchers down in Cowley near Pincher Creek make some of the best jerky that I've ever tasted.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
It's a bit of a drive from Calgary, but Back Country Butchers down in Cowley near Pincher Creek make some of the best jerky that I've ever tasted.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 AM

Default butchers

paolinis make the best sausage around, little pricier. Longview is excellent, of course best jerky around and quick, clean work and nice people to deal with. Back Country Butchers in Cowley are excellent as well, they are all hunters who work there, very clean and great service and recipes.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Default Paolini's

I have had my last 3 deer done at Paolini's and they are pricey, but I dont have much of an issue with that. The first deer I had done there I had all made into smokies and we really liked them. Last year I had 2 deer done there, more smokies, some garlic sausage and some pepperoni. Smokies were very good again but the garlic sausage and pepperoni were very "wet" maybe not hung long enough or smoked long enough. The garlic sausage is good once it is cooked but the pepperoni stick take a bit of getting use to and are better once they dry out for a few days in the fridge
Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 PM

I've had some great jerky come out of Longview, but seemed a little higher priced. Red Deer Lake Meats doesn't process wild game. No complaints about Ryan's.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
I have had my last 3 deer done at Paolini's and they are pricey, but I dont have much of an issue with that. The first deer I had done there I had all made into smokies and we really liked them. Last year I had 2 deer done there, more smokies, some garlic sausage and some pepperoni. Smokies were very good again but the garlic sausage and pepperoni were very "wet" maybe not hung long enough or smoked long enough. The garlic sausage is good once it is cooked but the pepperoni stick take a bit of getting use to and are better once they dry out for a few days in the fridge
We have been getting all our stuff done at Paolinis and what ever it was called before for at least the last 15 years.
Normally some ok-good stuff.
As for the Pep sticks, they have allways come out "wet" You have to dry the hell out of them. But the longer you dry, the hotter they get.

Back in the day when I could eat that stuff, I used to love a Peperoni Sandwich. Just dry them out a bit, Nuke them for a minute, slap them between bread and put on some Cheese and mayo.. OHHHH GREAT STUFF!!!
Not exactly good for you, but man I liked those sandwiches.

Jamie
Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Default Paolinis no longer in business

I just called the number for Paolinis (Dec 2, 2008) and found that it was bought out some time around the end of September of beginning of October '08 by a single owner operator. He still may do game processing ($.85/lb). Sausage prices were about $2.50 per lb, smoked about $3.25 (going by memory here).
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 PM

I just picked up some meat and dropped off another deer at Paolinis - looks to be in business to me.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiona View Post
I just called the number for Paolinis (Dec 2, 2008) and found that it was bought out some time around the end of September of beginning of October '08 by a single owner operator. He still may do game processing ($.85/lb). Sausage prices were about $2.50 per lb, smoked about $3.25 (going by memory here).
Had my mulie processed there 3 weeks ago and just dropped off 2 whitetail on Monday.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 PM

Back from Sask out of provice hunt. 8 Bucks down! Great time

Paolini's hands down. Best sausage you can get and all vacuum packed. Rick is an awsome guy. They don't do jerky from deer but will with elk or bigger. If you want jerky, maybe get some ground and use a jerky shooter. I get my deer back in a week and can't wait!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
Back from Sask out of provice hunt. 8 Bucks down! Great time

Paolini's hands down. Best sausage you can get and all vacuum packed. Rick is an awsome guy. They don't do jerky from deer but will with elk or bigger. If you want jerky, maybe get some ground and use a jerky shooter. I get my deer back in a week and can't wait!
I like Paolini's as well, but they wouldn't do any jerky from the elk I shot last year.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:46 PM
gitrdun

I have had not so good experience with Longview, they deliver a lot less meat than expected (don't know where it goes? ) My recommendation is for the Gour-Mart in Bowness. I butcher my own steaks, roast and grind my own, but they make the greatest sausage and cheddar smokies.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 PM

i was looking around the web for reviews on wild meat butchers and found this
http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/pu..._25_2009_I.pdf
this might be the reason ryan's is under new management.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 PM

ive used ryans since i started hunting 8 years ago, never had an issue. i absolutely love their jerky and sausage, with friends and family that love it to i rarely have any left by the time new years rolls around. ryans is also under new ownership as of last year im pretty sure, they were very fast and friendly.
there is also a butcher in airdrie that does wild game as well, they seem to be alright, my dad takes his deer there. although they do the ground meat into jerky and i wasnt a big fan of that stuff
Old 12-09-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
I took my deer to Illichmann's Sausage Shop (Calgary) this year and had them do sausage, smokies, and pepperoni. The sausage and smokies are excellent...the pepperoni was moist too so I put it in the dehydrator for a couple hours and now it is awesome (to bad I had to finish it). I heard that it is common to get the pepperoni back like that????

I wouldn't go to red deer lake meats. We brought a nice young steer there one year and suspected that we didn't get the same meat back. The next year did it again and same thing. One steak would be great and the next like rubber....one roast good and another...rubber. This was a nice young organic raised steer. Should not be that way. Especilly two years in a row. I won't make the same mistake three times...
Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I took my deer to Illichmann's Sausage Shop (Calgary) this year and had them do sausage, smokies, and pepperoni. The sausage and smokies are excellent...the pepperoni was moist too so I put it in the dehydrator for a couple hours and now it is awesome (to bad I had to finish it). I heard that it is common to get the pepperoni back like that????

I wouldn't go to red deer lake meats. We brought a nice young steer there one year and suspected that we didn't get the same meat back. The next year did it again and same thing. One steak would be great and the next like rubber....one roast good and another...rubber. This was a nice young organic raised steer. Should not be that way. Especilly two years in a row. I won't make the same mistake three times...
Oh and I don't have any reference point though....I have never tried the other places.......a friend of mine recommended Illichmann's Sausage Shop.