Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 11:23 AM

Default "Lazy Hunter"

Every year at this time we see the threads chastising our fellow hunters as "lazy Hunters" because they choose to spend the day out driving rather than burn boot leather like the real hunters do. I realize I am not the most popular fellow on here due to my penchant for smart azz comments, but I hope some will read this and think about.

Some food foe thought:

Is the hunter who chooses to shoot his game at 900 yrds with a 300 win mag lazier than the one who shoots at 100yrds with a 30 30?

Is the hunter who chooses shoot a rifle at distances past 100 yds lazier than the bow hunter who must get within 30yds

What about the guy who sits in a tree stand all day vs the still hunter walking game trails

The guy on a 3 wheel atv surely must work harder than the one on a 4 wheeler or a side x side

The guy who relies on his game cameras set up 2 months before the season is advantaged over the fellow who can't afford cameras and must spend much more time locating a good hunting area making the camera guy lazy lazy.

What method of hunting requires more effort ,hunting farmland where you know the deer are year after year ,or hunting Crown land where pressure is higher and chances are fewer. Lazy private land hunters! tsk tsk

The farmer that shoots his deer on his own land and then uses a tractor to pick it up and haul it back to the yard ,certainly must be as lazy as a truck hunter except he owns the land, so no one really knows for sure how he gets the job done. ( I've hunted with several farmers who were quite happy to drive the bush lines on their property daily trying to spook a deer out into the open for a shot.)

Is the fellow sitting on point lazier or inferior to the one who is pushing bush for him?

I have little doubt that there are some real hardcore talented hunters on the site who take real pride in doing everything the hard way,good for them! I also have little doubt that many of the biggest critics here, do not live up to the same standard they demand of everyone else. I'm sure they give it the old college try on occasion but mostly they will take the so called lazy way out whenever they feel so inclined.

I've employed most of these methods in the last 38 seasons and they all require effort one way or another.Some worked well some not so much. This year I have been sick and unable to deer hunt at all, so I plunk my butt down on the seat of my side x side when I feel okay and drive the trails pot shooting grouse with a 410. It's the most enjoyment I have had in years. I may just hang up the rifle permanently and spend what time I have left being lazy and ride around chasing chickens.

Life is short my friends ,wasting time stressing over the other guys methods isn't going to improve your quality of life . If you really want to make a difference ,take a kid out out there and show them how great it is to spend time in the outdoors away from the computer and or tv.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:28 AM

The sooner we stop attacking each other over the way we hunt the better off we will be.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
The sooner we stop attacking each other over the way we hunt the better off we will be.
Agree with this and OP. Stop eating our own young.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-27-2018, 11:46 AM

I spent four weekends overnight backpack hunting and 7 days in a row driving around all day hunting from an ATV and a truck. Both were fun, both were legal, and both taught me a great deal.

While I like hiking in the mountains and minimalist camping, my time spent on the vehicles was with family who can no longer hike through bush. I would also totally use an ATV for access when backpack hunting if I had one, just like I use my car to drive to the mountains!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Last edited by last minute; 11-27-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

What method of hunting requires more effort ,hunting farmland where you know the deer are year after year ,or hunting Crown land where pressure is higher and chances are fewer. Lazy private land hunters! tsk tsk
If I had to pick just one of the methods you described as the hardest I would say this is the one.The hunt itself may be easier but there is all the extra work involved helping the landowners during the off season. I know this isn't required but I feel its my duty to help the landowners out as much as possible. I figure this year alone I spent 12-14 days of good solid labor cutting and hauling trees, maintaining shooting lanes, posting signs, fixing fences and what ever else the landowner was willing to accept my help on. I don't mind this work because I think of my hunting buddies ( the landowners) as friends, hell some are even closer to me than my actual family.

I have done most of the methods you have suggested. They all have their merits and downsides. Somedays we feel lazy and road hunt, other days its more about getting out in nature. As long as its legal who cares how you hunt?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 PM

The reality is, "road hunting" isnt what people are likely upset with. Like anything else, it can be done within the current rules and regulations.

The issue is Perception of any given situation.

People are upset with, Trespassing and Poaching, as they should be. Unfortunately "road hunting" and poaching often go hand in hand more than almost anything else in hunting. Even if it turns out that it isnt poaching, the perception by most people is that it is.

People can be upset about the lack of safety, for the people in the vehicle or the potential hunter in the field. When I see a truck drive down the road with a rifle hanging out the back window, It bothers me, A LOT, especially if I am sitting in the bush near where they drive by.

People get upset by blown out fields. If you sit all day waiting for some animals to come out and feed, just to have someone drive by, stop and take a rushed shot and spook them away. While this could be completely legitimate if it is land the person has access on, The hunter who is sitting likely wouldn't be happy about excited and happy for the road hunter, if they did get an animal.

If you speak of road hunting in terms of a person driving by land that is their own land or land they have proper written permission on. Then getting out of the vehicle, putting your clip into your gun, walking off the road and down to the edge of the fence line and taking a shot at an animal... then I would agree, I have no issue with that, and is likely within the rules and regulations.

If your talking about road hunting in terms of: Driving up and down grid or back country roads, hanging out the back window of a vehicle with a loaded rifle, Taking a shot from the vehicle at whatever you happen to see, on anyone's land, access or not... Then Yes I have a major problem with that.

If I were a betting man, I would place a large wager that the vast majority of "road hunting" would be the second of the 2 situations.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
The reality is, "road hunting" isnt what people are likely upset with. Like anything else, it can be done within the current rules and regulations.

People are upset with, Trespassing and Poaching, as they should be. Unfortunately "road hunting" and poaching often go hand in hand more than almost anything else in hunting. Even if it turns out that it isnt poaching, the perception by most people is that it is.

People can be upset about the lack of safety, for the people in the vehicle or the potential hunter in the field. When I see a truck drive down the road with a rifle hanging out the back window, It bothers me, A LOT, especially if I am sitting in the bush near where they drive by.

People get upset by blown out fields. If you sit all day waiting for some animals to come out and feed, just to have someone drive by, stop and take a rushed shot and spook them away. While this could be completely legitimate if it is land the person has access on, The hunter who is sitting likely wouldn't be happy about excited and happy for the road hunter, if they did get an animal.

If you speak of road hunting in terms of a person driving by land that is their own land or land they have proper written permission on. Then getting out of the vehicle, putting your clip into your gun, walking off the road and down to the edge of the fence line and taking a shot at an animal... then I would agree, I have no issue with that, and is likely within the rules and regulations.

If your talking about road hunting in terms of: Driving up and down grid or back country roads, hanging out the back window of a vehicle with a loaded rifle, Taking a shot from the vehicle at whatever you happen to see, on anyone's land, access or not... Then Yes I have a major problem with that.

If I were a betting man, I would place a large wager that the vast majority of "road hunting" would be the second of the 2 situations.
Well said, that's exactly how I see it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2018, 01:57 PM

Speaking of lazy someone dumped a couple deer rib cages and other parts on the side of the road 66st north of the Anthony henday
Old 11-27-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Speaking of lazy someone dumped a couple deer rib cages and other parts on the side of the road 66st north of the Anthony henday
Ya. City folk. They the laziest.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:25 PM

As long as a hunter obeys the regulations, and hunts safely, without interfering with other hunters, I really don't care how you hunt. But please make every legal effort that you can to retrieve your animals, and if you are crippling and losing a lot of animals, please take some kind of action to remedy this.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:27 PM

I only have a problem with the hunters who don't even bother to get out of their truck.

And the hunter who looks at me through his rifle scope while I am walking out to my tree stand. Its just a little nerving.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:31 PM

You will find me to be the laziest SOB in archery season... I log more miles scouting and sitting in a uncomfortable chair than most working this time of the year.

Being lazy has done me very well, so I will continue
Old 11-27-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
You will find me to be the laziest SOB in archery season... I log more miles scouting and sitting in a uncomfortable chair than most working this time of the year.

Being lazy has done me very well, so I will continue
This is a lesson I am learning. In the bush I see much more sitting on my butt than walking around. Just knowing the best place to sit. :-)
Old 11-27-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrbuch View Post
I only have a problem with the hunters who don't even bother to get out of their truck.

And the hunter who looks at me through his rifle scope while I am walking out to my tree stand. Its just a little nerving.
That slob looking at you through his riflescope isn't a hunter, he is a criminal.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:

The problem is ,this is likely not huge issue it is made out to be , Similar to the old argument from geared atv riders claiming that belt driven machines are constantly blowing up belts to the point that you risk life and limb if you don't carry spares on your belt driven atv. I've never blown a belt on a atv ever,I have yet to see a road hunter driving around with a gun hanging out the rear window or front window ready to shoot anything they see. But like a blown belt , it likely does happen ,just not as often as some would have us believe.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
This is a lesson I am learning. In the bush I see much more sitting on my butt than walking around. Just knowing the best place to sit. :-)

That’s because still hunting is an art and it takes years to master. There is much more to being good at it than just walking around. I would agree if you hunt in an area with a fairly healthy deer population then it isn’t too hard to pattern the deer in the area and there are places you could sit where there is a high probability that a deer will come by. Snow definitely helps here for pattering them. Likewise sitting in one spot may be the best opportunity to see deer if weather conditions make it too noisy to be moving about. Think frozen snow or a heavy frost on a clear day. But sitting in one spot is not always the answer. I hunt for deer south of Fort McMurray and what I see for animals in the average season would only make a decent day in other parts of the province. I’ve picked areas off the beaten path to set up trail cameras where I see no other people and the most action and even then there are days where I don’t get a deer on film. Sure there are deer in the area but these are bush deer and they tend to just wander and not stick to trails. In an area like this I see a lot more deer by still hunting it than partners of mine see when they stay in the same spot all day.

I think what Jungleboy was getting at when he started this thread and what others have alluded to is that actual hunting takes many forms and no one way is any better than the next because it is all hunting. Pick a way that works for you and that you enjoy. As long all rules and regulations are being followed don’t worry what the next hunter thinks just because it’s not the way he wants to go.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:

I don’t spend a lot of time road hunting anymore mostly because the area I hunt south of Fort McMurray doesnt have a lot of roads that are huntable and I’ve also found I don’t get nearly as much enjoyment or success out of it as other forms of hunting. I would argue though that the vast majority of road hunters that I know or have ever hunted with would fall in the first category. It can be done just as legally as any other form of hunting and at time can be pretty successful. Now granted the road hunting I’ve done in the past was on crown land with side roads and cut blocks. If you were a farmer/rancher I could see why your view on road hunting may be different and why you would see a higher number of people who were not playing by the rules.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
That’s because still hunting is an art and it takes years to master. There is much more to being good at it than just walking around. I would agree if you hunt in an area with a fairly healthy deer population then it isn’t too hard to pattern the deer in the area and there are places you could sit where there is a high probability that a deer will come by. Snow definitely helps here for pattering them. Likewise sitting in one spot may be the best opportunity to see deer if weather conditions make it too noisy to be moving about. Think frozen snow or a heavy frost on a clear day. But sitting in one spot is not always the answer. I hunt for deer south of Fort McMurray and what I see for animals in the average season would only make a decent day in other parts of the province. I’ve picked areas off the beaten path to set up trail cameras where I see no other people and the most action and even then there are days where I don’t get a deer on film. Sure there are deer in the area but these are bush deer and they tend to just wander and not stick to trails. In an area like this I see a lot more deer by still hunting it than partners of mine see when they stay in the same spot all day.

I think what Jungleboy was getting at when he started this thread and what others have alluded to is that actual hunting takes many forms and no one way is any better than the next because it is all hunting. Pick a way that works for you and that you enjoy. As long all rules and regulations are being followed don’t worry what the next hunter thinks just because it’s not the way he wants to go.
I am picking up what jungleboy is throwing down, just a minor thread drift. :-)

Where I have been hunting has been in the thick bush in the snow, so I can relate to what you are saying about the relative ease of patterning deer in the white stuff and the difficulty of being quiet with snow shoes stepping over logs. Still hunting is a skill I want to develop and understand it is long learning curve. My goal is to keep practicing year round because I do not think a couple months a year will do it.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:51 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

I look at it a ribbing each other no different than at the lunch shack etc and if a anti wants to pretend we hate each other etc step up so you can get knocked down and we can go on picking on each other and enjoying a meat sandwich....what wrong with the 30-30 you say.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I look at it a ribbing each other no different than at the lunch shack etc and if a anti wants to pretend we hate each other etc step up so you can get knocked down and we can go on picking on each other and enjoying a meat sandwich....what wrong with the 30-30 you say.....
I think if all the stuff ruffling feathers on this forum was said face to face everyone would be laughing their butts off.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I am picking up what jungleboy is throwing down, just a minor thread drift. :-)

Where I have been hunting has been in the thick bush in the snow, so I can relate to what you are saying about the relative ease of patterning deer in the white stuff and the difficulty of being quiet with snow shoes stepping over logs. Still hunting is a skill I want to develop and understand it is long learning curve. My goal is to keep practicing year round because I do not think a couple months a year will do it.
Slight drifting still, keep a journal from season to season, takes the guess work out of still hunting. Home ranges are typically small, so track your experiences and remember as seasons and weather changes, the habits of our quarry do as well..
Old 11-27-2018, 04:15 PM

I started this thread some time ago and basically asked the same thing.
Cat
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=215831
Old 11-27-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I started this thread some time ago and basically asked the same thing.
Cat
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=215831
Good read there Cat. Lots of banned members too. Think how much extra time they now have for hunting now that they’re not on here all day...
Old 11-27-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Slight drifting still, keep a journal from season to season, takes the guess work out of still hunting. Home ranges are typically small, so track your experiences and remember as seasons and weather changes, the habits of our quarry do as well..
This is a great idea. I have been using ihunter to try and track things, but it gets jumbled after so many trips to same area.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:10 PM

Old 11-27-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

winner winner chicken dinner
Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM

Exactly, if people spent half the time they whine and complain about how other people go about their business as they do taking care of their own issues it would be a lot better world. If it is not illegal or causing harm worry about your own problems
Old 11-27-2018, 06:40 PM

I am a still hunted and stalker by choice, absolutely love it!
However this year I built a blind and hunted it for three days before killing a doe on the way into it!

I had a white tail walk across my line if sight so close on the first day all I could see was its back, I had to shuffle around to get it to jump out and look to see what surprised it before I ID’d it as a buck.
I only had supplimental tags so took some pics instead!

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-27-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I think if all the stuff ruffling feathers on this forum was said face to face everyone would be laughing their butts off.
Exactly we all sit around a fire, share a beverage or two we would be freakin laughing our azzes off into the wee hours....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...