Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2018, 08:34 AM

I run about 15 or 16 cameras, from the higher end models to the cheaper ones. I’ve tried nearly all brands. No luck at all with Stealth cams, won’t buy another. At the end of the day, Spypoint and Moultrie have given me the best service.

Craig
Old 12-21-2018, 02:43 PM

Not all at once lol. Biggest week was 4215 pics , most weeks were 6-700. Easy on batteries , good clear pic , I was happy.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Buy an adaptor from your smart phone to sd card. You can import the photos right to your device and pop the card back in. Waaaaaay better than carrying multiple cards, a camera or even a laptop.
This^^
I bought an SD card reader at Staples(Leaf Brand) that plugs into my iPhone or iPad if I remember to bring it(nicer to view on the larger screen)
The reader was around $60 iirc,is smaller then my truck key fob,even has a carabiner attached to it.
I like to visit my cams as little as possible so as not to stink the place up,so other then pre-season,when I check a cam I’m also hunting the stand at the same time.I just swap out cards on the spot and viewing pics helps pass the time in treestand plus gets me stoked with anticipation that the 180 buck that was there last night might come back while I’m there. 😜
Couple brutes that I had visiting a huge community scrape this year,along with 10 other bucks hitting “The MOAS” as I call it(Mother Of All Scrapes) 🤪
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4AA52D8B-1EDD-4F57-B85F-94DADE3F58D0.jpg (10.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by West O'5; 12-22-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:53 AM

0671C562-DDC8-48A7-B09A-C50FC3AC6A7E.jpg
Old 12-22-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
I run about 15 or 16 cameras, from the higher end models to the cheaper ones. I’ve tried nearly all brands. No luck at all with Stealth cams, won’t buy another. At the end of the day, Spypoint and Moultrie have given me the best service.

Craig
I agree about Stealth Cams. I only have one, one of the higher end models. I bought it and was disappointed with it. It did not take too many pictures at all and practically stopped working at, I would say, below -10 Celsius, maybe even when the temps just drop somewhat below 0. I exchanged it within three or so weeks for the same model. The results were about the same so I thought it is what it is (it was my first camera). It was only after I bought a Bushnell and hanged the Stealth Cam on the same tree at the same angle staring at the same spot when I realized that the Stealth Cam is garbage, nothing more. While the Bushnell had about 100-150 pics (I can't recall exactly), the Stealth Cam had 7! (this number I remember, lol). Maybe I had two bad ones in a row. Could be. Regardless, I am not giving them any of my money ever again.

I also always wondered about those "no-name" brands on amazon. Never bought one fearing it will end up being junk or flood after the first rain.

I would say Bushnell and Browning are best bang for the buck, but they are definitely a little more expensive than those "no-names" on amazon. Though they can still be found on sale for $150-160 a piece. I would guess there will be one $100 off at Cabela's on the boxing day or around it.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:57 AM

Arrrggggg.....can’t seem to upload photos for some reason?
Anyhow....^^^ that is same 2 pics of a gnarly ol bush buck ,got another big 180-ish 6x6 hitting the same scrape,plus 3-4 borderline shooters and another 1/2 dozen up n coming forkies and 4x4s for years to come at the MOAS.🙃
Old 12-22-2018, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
I agree about Stealth Cams. I only have one, one of the higher end models. I bought it and was disappointed with it. It did not take too many pictures at all and practically stopped working at, I would say, below -10 Celsius, maybe even when the temps just drop somewhat below 0. I exchanged it within three or so weeks for the same model. The results were about the same so I thought it is what it is (it was my first camera). It was only after I bought a Bushnell and hanged the Stealth Cam on the same tree at the same angle staring at the same spot when I realized that the Stealth Cam is garbage, nothing more. While the Bushnell had about 100-150 pics (I can't recall exactly), the Stealth Cam had 7! (this number I remember, lol). Maybe I had two bad ones in a row. Could be. Regardless, I am not giving them any of my money ever again.

I also always wondered about those "no-name" brands on amazon. Never bought one fearing it will end up being junk or flood after the first rain.

I would say Bushnell and Browning are best bang for the buck, but they are definitely a little more expensive than those "no-names" on amazon. Though they can still be found on sale for $150-160 a piece. I would guess there will be one $100 off at Cabela's on the boxing day or around it.
That’s weird,I have an inexpensive Stealth(can’t recall model at the moment) and it is super sensitive.....too sensitive in fact,I got around 400 pics of grass swaying in the wind last summer.....and last winter it kept on working well past -20C....even below -30C iirc??