Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Bushnell engage vs nitro

Looking at nitro 4x16 or engage 6x24 both with deploy reticle.
Anyone review these scopes. I want to shoot coyotes at 600 y
Which scope would you pick? Is the glass a lot better in the nitro?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:02 PM

What is your budget?

I have the 3-12 Engage with 30mm tube and locking turrets, its pretty decent for the money but I personally would look at the new FFP Diamondback Tactical series from Vortex if you need to stay under $500.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:36 AM

Budget has a bit of room. I’m now looking at elite 4500 4x16.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:38 AM

The deploy retical may suit my style of coyote hunting. Can’t get that on a 4500
Old 09-15-2018, 09:11 AM

If it were me I’d go with the Engage for the exposed turrets and 2FP.
Doing a side by side comparison of 4-16x44 the Engage and Nitro are virtually identical scopes and specs other then the Engage has exposed turrets and is 2FP vs the Nitro has capped turrets and FFP.
Diamondback is near bottom shelf of Vortex line-up,the tactical has a very busy reticle and also in FFP,I’m not a fan of either for hunting,I like a SFP as far more versatile throughout the magnification range IMHO.My reasoning is that if a target(coyote) is far enough enough away that I’m dialing turrets vs just holding for MPBR,I’ve got the magnification cranked up to max where it’s calibrated anyhow,so 2FP is no disadvantage at all really and not so cluttered and fine at lower magnification as an FFP reticle.
FFP scopes are also normally a fair bit more expensive then their near identical model 2FP counterparts,you’d be hard pressed to find a quality FFP optic <$500 so you know they are skimping somewhere and again,Diamondbacks are Vortex budget line sooooooo.....easy decision there for my money.

Last edited by West O'5; 09-15-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
What is your budget?

I have the 3-12 Engage with 30mm tube and locking turrets, its pretty decent for the money but I personally would look at the new FFP Diamondback Tactical series from Vortex if you need to stay under $500.
I know nothing about the new Bushnell scopes, and haven't seen the new Vortex Diamondback ffp tactical. But I did own a Vortex Diamondback 3- 9 x 40 and it was a piece of crap that I got rid of as quickly as possible.
In particular, the eye relief was very bad, and the optical quality was terrible..
Old 09-19-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
I know nothing about the new Bushnell scopes, and haven't seen the new Vortex Diamondback ffp tactical. But I did own a Vortex Diamondback 3- 9 x 40 and it was a piece of crap that I got rid of as quickly as possible.
In particular, the eye relief was very bad, and the optical quality was terrible..
Had a chance to look at the FFP Diamondback last week, didn't seem too bad except for very tight eye relief at max magnification. Decent reticle, didn't see any glaring defects in the display model I looked at.