Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2013, 12:05 PM

Default Crossbow range day

I got in an hour of shooting yesterday, in between downpours. I had promised myself to do this after the recent crossbow posts on the forum.

1% of my hunting is accomplished with a firearm. 99% with a bow (compound, recurve and longbow) and most of that is for deer, moose and bear. Most of that again is done from a tree-stand. I purchased a blind nine or so years ago and have never used it. The only spot and stalk (still hunting) I do is on my way to a stand, from it, or getting away from the stand for a walk. I will wager that most bowhunters hunt from stands (or blinds) a good majority of the time. The only other occasions that still hunting would be preferred would be for elk or antelope hunting. I’ve been hunting with bows for 25 years.

Not one to exclude any tool for hunting, I bought a crossbow. Having said that, I support the current regulations with regard to the description of archery equipment, exceptions for disabilities and the seasons for which that equipment is used in. The status quo is just fine with me. I really don’t need anyone, especially anyone who does not own a crossbow or has never taken an animal with one, telling me about the pros and cons of crossbows. So please dispense with your unqualified comments……because that is what they are. Those who own and use recurves, longbows, compound bows and crossbows are the most likely to know what these tools are capable of and I would expect both pro and con comments on my views.

So today at the range (private property), where I had unrestricted use and could shoot to any distance if I so desired. I had mentioned 100 yard crossbow shooting on the forum and stuff like that always has it’s detractors, just like those who snipe at guys who shoot long distances with their firearms. Firing a bolt from a crossbow at 100 yard distances, really does not take much skill. If you have ever fired a scoped rifle at 100 yard target, you’re more than qualified. I could give anyone my crossbow, right now, and have them shooting tight groups at 100 yards. I’ve owned a couple Excalibur Crossbows, the model I’m using right now is a Relayer Y25, 200# draw weight. Whatever Excalibur Crossbow you have, any model, it is capable of achieving tight groups at long distances. Holding a crossbow is the same as a rifle, be prepared for a heavy front end though. Shooting at 100 yards I had many options of holding the bow. I’ve got tripods, bipods, gun rests and a large shooting bag (Calwell Tack Driver). I chose the tack driver today. Anyone sighting in a rifle at 100 yards is going to use some kind of rest right? Who sights in a rifle offhand?

I haven’t used my crossbow since last fall. One test shot at 20 yards proved that it was still on the bullseye. Automatically, every aiming point (20/20/40/50 yards) is dead on when using an Excalibur scope. It uses a speed dial on the scope, just select your arrow speed on the dial and all your aiming points are perfect. A shot at 50 yards in the bullseye proved this to be functioning. I then moved the target out to 75 yards. In order to reduce the number of elevation clicks (up) on the scope, I kept using the 50 yard aiming point. It took 23 clicks to get into the bullseye at 75 yards. I had no idea when this scope would run out of elevation but at 23 clicks, bolts were flying into the X. Satisfied with that, the target was moved out to 100 yards. Another 23 clicks and I’m getting good groups at 100 yards. It’s cool seeing arrows, in your scope, arcing towards the target and finally hearing contact, a second after you pulled the trigger. So, 46 clicks back down and fire at a 50 target. Bullseye. The scope works great, repeatable results. The only improvement I see with regard to a scope, for long range shooting, would be to include target turrets.
It's my opinion that anyone with an Excalibur Crossbow could have produced similar if not better results.
Closest target is at 20 yards, the furthest 100 yards (big rock on the left)

100 Yard Group

same 100 Yard group

Had to cut short any further shooting because of serving fray.........and the impending downpour.

I brought my compound with me of course. Haven’t shot that much recently either. Shot three arrows at 60 yards, the maximum my sight pin configuration allows. Good results for not shooting regularly, but shooting a compound is second nature for me. I don’t use a peep, never have, and was curious about using the “Anchor Site”. So, I have one of those on the bow; I’ll keep it on. One thing about not using a peep sight on a compound, in the winter, wearing bulky clothes, especially wearing a hat that covers my ears, it conflicts with my anchor point under my ear. This has caused me to miss a couple times. The Anchor Site is a tool that can compensate for issues wear clothing may affect your form. Heavy, bulky clothing when using a crossbow is not a factor.

60 yard group with my compound.......not impressive. Lets say the top arrow is a flyer. Hey, it is raining now!

What’s the point in all this? I know that I can kill a deer or moose sized animal out to 100 yards if I so desire with my crossbow. A novice can do it (skill not required). Point and shoot. On the other hand; I will not, ever, consider the same scenario with any other form of archery equipment. After 25 years, I simply do not have the skill.

Last edited by CNP; 05-31-2013 at 12:26 PM.