Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Scribner's Gun Auction

Holy Cr*p, the gun prices were through the roof, and the ammo prices were just as bad. $15.00 for 20 fmj 7.62x39. Wow, a lot of people need to get out more.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:28 PM

It was good for a laugh. I had a good time. The prices were so far out of line, I couldn't justify spending any money. Heck I even had the wife's blessing on the shotty I wanted, I just couldn't do it. $280 for an SKS. $400 for a Ruger Charger, new at WSS they are only $319. I hope the guys who did the buying aren't regretting their purchases, the sellers sure aren't.

My favorite was the Bushmaster spotting scope, $250(I think) after the sale was at Cdn Tire they had a whole shelf of them NIB for $99.

I've done stupid things at auctions too, just not today.

Got to meet Ken, there is no way he fits in an '07 vette.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 10-01-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:46 PM

They were on sale a few weeks ago for $50. The prices were definitely out to lunch. Most of the items went for far too much. How about the price on the gun locker, or the duck decoys.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 AM

We laughed about that safe until we were half way home. There is going to be a pile of buyers remorse setting in about now.

Did anyone see what that Weatherby Vanguard NIB sold for?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-02-2011, 08:34 AM

The only good thing was that I won the $100 bill at the end.

I laughed at the young lad that paid $250 for the mossberg plinker - $160 at Magnum.

$400 for the charger is about what he would have had to pay to go into WSS buy it and come home.

The vanguard "rifle of the year" went for around $800 I think.

The biggest laugh we were having was the phrase "You got a good deal on that one".

not many people got a good deal.

Last edited by Elk Chaser; 10-02-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Congrats on the win. I couldn't force myself to suffer through to the end.

It was a good day, got to come home and prove to the wife that firearms are a better investment than stocks and bonds.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 AM

They got $900 for the Weatherby. You are right about his catch phrase, everytime we heard that, we sorta laughed at each other. Yup some one got soaked again.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 AM

What did the Argo with the 'custom roof' go for?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-02-2011, 01:53 PM

$1400, they had a heck of a time getting it to start and stay running, personally I thought that it was a POS.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 PM

Default Auction

I found it funny when scribner asked where are you going to find a deal as good as this? I think he may have been selling the manlicher and the price was 250. The guy behind me yelled Edmonton and scribner sold it shortly after.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Where is this auction at? Might need to sell some stuff there next time by the sounds of it LOL
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Where is this auction at? Might need to sell some stuff there next time by the sounds of it LOL
Wainwright.

I think on the program it said the next gun auction is sometime in March. Couldn't find it on the website and tossed the program. Stay tuned, someone will post it up.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 PM

next gun auction is next march date to be determined
Old 10-02-2011, 09:38 PM

$800 for a Vanguard? They sell for $499 (or less on sale) BNIB everywhere! Do these buyers live under a rock? I feel bad for them.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 PM

Alot of the stuff that sold there went for far more than it was worth. In my opinion the auctioneers pushed the product on too many people, when an item should have been sold they tried to get one or more bids on it.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 PM

Default vangaurd

The vangaurd was the rifle of the year. From what I heard you cannot order those rifles. One guy told me their was one in Bashaw at a dealer that was selling for $2000
Old 10-02-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
The vangaurd was the rifle of the year. From what I heard you cannot order those rifles. One guy told me their was one in Bashaw at a dealer that was selling for $2000
have I got a great deal for you...
Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 PM

Did this Vanguard have the Leupold scope and rings with it? I didn't get to look at it. I'm trying to figure out if it was actually one of the 1100 numbered ones that the Friends of the NRA had commissioned, or if it was just a Vanguard in 270 that was labeled "gun of the year" for this sale.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Banned

I was selling so...I'm pretty happy!

Thing is the seller pays 30% so... auctioneers are working for them not the buyer. And people bidding need to try not to get caught up with the urge to win.

I always decide what something is worth to me...set a limit and stop when I reach it. Sometimes I'll go over that a little bit but only by maybe 10-20% tops.

End result is I don't buy much at auctions but when I do....I get a decent deal.

Next one is in March but the exact day hasn't been determined yet.

http://www.scribnernet.com/
http://www.albertaauctionguide.com/

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 10-03-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 AM

I don't feel too bad for the people that over paid. Do the research before you go, the guns are all listed, you may have to decide the condition that day, but you know whats going to be there.

If the auctioneer can get a bid, that's their job. One thing about it, with the prices they get, I expect that he won't have trouble getting people to consign, I know if I was looking to move guns at an auction, he would be top of my list, that's 3 sales in a row that he has gotten top dollar for most of the stuff.

I'm just waiting for the auction that has 12 SKS's and 30 cases of ammo when everyone decides to try selling one at the same time.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
I don't feel too bad for the people that over paid. Do the research before you go, the guns are all listed, you may have to decide the condition that day, but you know whats going to be there.

If the auctioneer can get a bid, that's their job. One thing about it, with the prices they get, I expect that he won't have trouble getting people to consign, I know if I was looking to move guns at an auction, he would be top of my list, that's 3 sales in a row that he has gotten top dollar for most of the stuff.

I'm just waiting for the auction that has 12 SKS's and 30 cases of ammo when everyone decides to try selling one at the same time.
Well....there goes my plan.... thanks...
Now what am I going to do with 4 family packs of SKS's and 10000 rounds of ball 7.62x39?
That was gong to zero my mortgage to...

Oh well at least I'll get a good return on the 6 dozen 10 dollar knives....
Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 AM

Don't forget to buy some 99 dollar spotting scopes to take along too!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
Don't forget to buy some 99 dollar spotting scopes to take along too!
Right.
Good point and...200 dollar laser sights...135 dollar "sniper" scopes.

Should I just ask MARSTAR to ship directly to the auction....it would save travel costs?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 AM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! To funny!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:06 PM

What did you guys think of the Remington 3200, I believe it sold for $650?

Couldn't bring myself to bid on it when there's nothing wrong with my current trap gun, plus the wife would have killed me if I came home and had spent more than a couple hundred dollars.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
I found it funny when scribner asked where are you going to find a deal as good as this? I think he may have been selling the manlicher and the price was 250. The guy behind me yelled Edmonton and scribner sold it shortly after.
If I remember correctly that was me that said that. I know I was saying that alot. Everytime he would say "you got a deal" I would reply "no he didn't"
Some people just don't realize that they are not getting a good deal on ammo if they are paying retail or higher for ammo. For the guy that payed over 10 dollars a box for 7.62x39 have I got a deal for you I am going to buy 1200 rounds from Fontier taxidermy and if you want I will sell it to you for 10 bucks for 20 rounds. Better price than what you paid.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberChicken View Post
What did you guys think of the Remington 3200, I believe it sold for $650?

Couldn't bring myself to bid on it when there's nothing wrong with my current trap gun, plus the wife would have killed me if I came home and had spent more than a couple hundred dollars.
It was a POS. None of the updates had been done, last I could find they now cost $700 plus getting it into and out of the US. The stock had at least 3 splits, 2 repaired and one a good size chunk missing from the fore end. The release button on the fore end was missing. It looked as if the barrels had been changed, someone had bubba'd them with a dremel tool, cutting into both barrels while doing it. The top firing pin hole was elongated. That was all I noticed in a quick inspection. You are better off for walking away. I wouldn't have given $350 for it. It was the reason I went to the sale.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Chaser View Post
Holy Cr*p, the gun prices were through the roof, and the ammo prices were just as bad. $15.00 for 20 fmj 7.62x39. Wow, a lot of people need to get out more.
guns,art and land you can't go wrong
Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by livegoodhunthard View Post

guns,art and land you can't go wrong
Well...theres about a hundred guys that went to that auction and paid through the nose to prove you wrong on the gun thing....lol