Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Default need advice on a new gun

Im looking at getting a rifle for hunting/target shooting and have it narrowed down a bit in the options but need some advice/suggestions. to start off i am wanting to be able to set it up to be able to shoot long range (500-600 yards) accurately but good for shorter range also. I will probably go with either a tikka t3 or a browning x bolt. Preferably stainless, not sure if it helps accuracy but looks pretty. I want something that is good for elk and moose but won't blow up a deer either (probably between .270 and .300.) Looking to spend no more than $1100 on the gun and hopefully below $1000 for a pretty good scope (i'm partial to leopold). Also what would you advise to get if i am left handed but have shot right handed guns all my life. should i stick with what im used to or get a lefty gun. Also how well do the scopes with caliber specific ranged turrets work. I know its alot of questions but feedback will be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:27 AM

cant go wrong with a 7mm rem mag, and the righty/lefty thing- if it aint broke dont fix it
Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 AM

you gotta think in terms of barrel life as well. 7mm rem mag and 300 WM are power houses(LOW-High amyhow). Letting the barrel cool down after 3-5 shots will help mitigate this -somewhat.

260,708,308 is what i recommend for you. all three you can take to 1000 yards if your serious on targets, and 400 yards on deer (shot placement is key though). or 200/300 on the bigger elk and moose. terminal ballistics for a wild animal are running low past these distances for these calibres though

theres more , 30-06 has a little more oomph,hard to beat a 270 as well.i hve one in aa tikka ,and its awesome, have taken it out shooting to 450 yards shooting until i ran out of ammo the other day to get proficient with the new scope, reticle was bang on and could prob take it out the scopes max range at max power(9) to 700 yards .

just google barrel burners,might point in the right direction.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM

Anyone used both the tikka t3 and the X-bolt. what are the pros and cons of each. anyone know what the advantages of stainless over blued are other than looks.

Last edited by deaner; 08-22-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 PM

For both somewhat accurate target work and hunting, I'd recommend a 7mmRM chamber with a fat 24-inch match barrel, good trigger, and a good fitted stock-maybe HS Precision. 1:9 twist bbl, optimizing on 168gn Berger VLDs with RL22. Relatively vertical grip, maybe thumbhole if it feels right for you.

Kinda sorta something along these lines (although I'd prefer a shorter barrel, a 2-way adjustable stock, and 7RM not shortfat):
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=032

And get a good mil-dot scope and a Chrony.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 AM

I'm a lefty and very partial to left handed guns. I learned to shoot on right handed guns with no problems however once i was putting money down - I bought a left handed gun.... It's great IMHO.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:19 AM

I have both tikka t3 and x bolt and both are great rifles and you wont go wrong with either one. I would go shoulder both and see what one feels better for you. but if you want it for the range i would look at getting a heavy barrel or you will be doing alot more waiting for it to cool down then shooting. and the heavy barrels are still light enough to carry for hunting. take alook at the tikka t3 varmint. It comes in 300wsm
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM

How are WSM calibers for accuracy. I have it down to .270 WSM, .280, 7mm, .300 or .300 WSM. thought about 7mm-08 but alot of places around the internet say that its a little light for elk even if it will take them down with the right shot.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaner View Post
How are WSM calibers for accuracy. I have it down to .270 WSM, .280, 7mm, .300 or .300 WSM. thought about 7mm-08 but alot of places around the internet say that its a little light for elk even if it will take them down with the right shot.
Did you check out the specs on the .325 wsm?

I don't have one but they sound sweet..
Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Looking around on the net everyone who has a .325 wsm likes it but say really close to a .338 in recoil and ballistics.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:00 PM

If you decide to go left handed, make your choice wisely

If you ever decide to part with that left handed rifle, remember how small that market is
Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Default 308

i like the 308 idea, great reach and hitting power up to 350 yards, iooo yards for target is not a problem, as for the tikka or x-bolt, i find the x-bolt to have a better feel and the clip on the browning is alot better. Good luck with your hunt!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:56 PM

My son has a 300WSM in a T3 Stainless. Shoots better than MOA with 180gr Nosler Partitions. Sure we could do better with a bunch more load development but it does well enough for the critters we are after. My Sako A7 in the 300 WSM is doing better in the accuracy department using RL17 with 168gr Barnes TTSX. We both dropped our moose last year with a single shot from each rifle.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:35 PM

anyone have a definate answer on whether a stainless barrel is better than a regular blued barrel as far as accuracy and barrel life.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

Sort of depends really.

Quite a few rifles/calibres are accurate to 1000 meters.
More still to 500 or 600 meters.

Do you intend to just target shoot to that distance or to also hunt to that distance?

You will need to consider the energy retained at 500-600 meters if you are shooting big game.
Thing is...by the time you get out that far... some calibers are still stable and accurate but are near the end of their effective range for reliable killing energy.

The big advantage with stainless is the all weather rust resistance you get.
Plus.. some people just like shiny things.

Hardness accuracy etc depend upon the exact alloy and how well it was made.
Someone else might have better info on the stainless 700 barrels but I would be willing to bet that a normal contour stainless will not perform any better or worse than the blued steel counterpart.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM

Go 7mm for the ballistics and power for hunting. There are a wide variety of bullets for both hunting and target and they hold very good BC. I am partial to remingtons, but I am sure there are a few other good rifles (just think if at sometime you would like to rebarrel, or add a few parts).
7mmMag, 280, 280AI, 7WSM, 7SAUM.

just my 2 cents.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:53 PM

Default 300wsm

I have a browning x-bolt in 300wsm. So far i love it. I haven't put tons of rounds threw it but it seems to be accurate. From what i saw when i was looking at picking up a new rifle this seemed to be the best one for the price. You get an amazing trigger, the rotatory magazine feeds strait in every time, you have a 60 degree bolt lift. The short action makes it a little lighter(6.5lb) and shorter also(my brother in law thought it was a 22 from the size of it). For a gun this light and a caliber of this size the recoil isn't to bad ether. Some other things i liked about the x-bolt is the safety. Not only dose it stop the trigger but it also stops the firing pin from moving too, and you can lift the bolt with the safety on. I'm sure you already know everything i do about it but i don't regret getting a browning x-bolt at all i love it and cant wait to shot it agen.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:41 AM

stick with the 270win or 30-06 both are good long range hunting cartridges and target. alot cheaper to shoot and will make elk and moose just as dead as a magnum. the trick is to learn to shoot long range and that only comes with practice and lots of it. good luck but if you practice lots you won't need any luck.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
If you decide to go left handed, make your choice wisely

If you ever decide to part with that left handed rifle, remember how small that market is
Being a left handed guy myself....it may be a small market but it is a very HUNGRY MARKET. If you talk to any gun counter person and ask about a used left handed rifle (like I do every time I go to any shop) you would be surprised at how little there is to buy out there and how fast they go if its a decent rifle in a decent chambering.

Whats my point? Don't let resale of the rifle effect your decision to buy a left handed one. If it were me I would go with what "feels" right, what compliments my dominant eye, etc.

LC
Old 09-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Being a left handed guy myself....it may be a small market but it is a very HUNGRY MARKET. If you talk to any gun counter person and ask about a used left handed rifle (like I do every time I go to any shop) you would be surprised at how little there is to buy out there and how fast they go if its a decent rifle in a decent chambering.

Whats my point? Don't let resale of the rifle effect your decision to buy a left handed one. If it were me I would go with what "feels" right, what compliments my dominant eye, etc.

LC
Those lefty's always trying to advance their agendas...lol

True though...my Dad is a lefty and they are hard to find and generally more expensive. I would hazard a guess that value retention is better just because of that.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 AM

I just traded off my .300 wm and went back to a 270 win. The 300 beat the hell out of my shoulder at the range and i definitely developed a flinch. It is a great round but after reading a lot more into it, I decided to stick with my .270 and .308 for awhile. Check out www.chuckhawks.com there is a ton of useful info on his site. All from rifle selection, caliber selection, and much more. The recoil chart was quite interesting as well...
Old 09-03-2011, 09:07 AM

I have the X-bolt ss stalker in 270 wsm and really like it. My last three rifles I bought have been stainless, a little less maintenance but more personal choice. Great rifle with with a nice trigger, 60* bolt, unload with safety on, real nice recoil pad. The feel of the rubber and the palm swell are nice as well. Go feel one up.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Not a lot of used lefty stuff available, so it is actually an easier sell for standard equipment; might be more problematic with custom builds though.

Shoot what you are comfortable with, but try a lefty bolt (if you haven't already) and you will likely be converted.

Had to laugh, as I took 5 guys (not from the restaurant) to the range the other day, all but one had never fired a gun of any sort, and all were right handed.

Shotgun, handgun and rifle. We had a blast (pun intended).

The part that made me laugh was watching them struggle with my LH bolt 270. I watched with amusement as they awkwardly worked the bolt. Pizzes me off to hear RH guys tell LH shooter to just continue using RH rifles. I always ask those guys why they don't buy/use LH rifles?

Usually get a stunned look, and some mumbling about they don't have to..... Well neither do we.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:

LC
I have quite likely sold more used LH rifles than most. The market is fickle.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanks for all the comments and advice. a few more questions though. I have decided to go the x bolt direction but am unsure what the difference is between the stalker and the hunter. For caliber i will probably go with .300wsm. If anyone else shoots an x-bolt in that caliber what loads does it like to shoot and what type of bullet so i have a starting place as i want to reload instead of buying factory. also as for a scope i really like the looks of the leopold vx-3 cds. has anyone used the cds scopes and how do they work.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have quite likely sold more used LH rifles than most. The market is fickle.
I was actually going to ask you if you have any LH rifles for sale that you don't need/use any more? From what I know about your rifles they are well looked after and shoot reasonably well.

LC
Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

LC
Right on Lefty.

smaller supply = greater demand which = greater selling price.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM

Someone correct me if Im wrong but should a normal blued carbon barrel not be a little better quality, as true stainless does not make a good barrel so stainless barrels are a mixed alloy of stainless and other steel hence why they will rust just not as easily. Just my thoughts from some reading. Ive never seen a difference and owned both.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:55 PM

Finally got my rifle. I picked up a .300 wsm x-bolt blued stalker from wss. Haven't got a scope yet but ordered a leupold vx-3l 4.5x14x50 cds. Rifle feels great. just picked up some factory ammo to get started but what are all the reloaders using for this caliber as far as bullets and how do i decide which powder to use.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Someone correct me if Im wrong but should a normal blued carbon barrel not be a little better quality, as true stainless does not make a good barrel so stainless barrels are a mixed alloy of stainless and other steel hence why they will rust just not as easily. Just my thoughts from some reading. Ive never seen a difference and owned both.
If stainless barrels were of inferior quality, they wouldn't be the most popular choice for target rifles.