Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Curious to see how the waterton fire will affect the grizzlies in that area this year. I heard that several burned to death and f&w had to put down several burned wounded bears. Curious if it will spread them out this year as I’m thinking next year they will flock to the area with all the new growth and associated wildlife explosions. In a separate area out by bearberry I’ve seen more bears and bear sign than I’ve ever seen out there and I go out there a lot, they’ve always been there but there are more now.
There was already a noticeable movement of bears from the ballooning NW Montana population into the Waterton and Castle areas before the fire, which is why bears were being seen in unexpected areas off the east slope.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

There never was a shortage of grizz bears. From what I recall is the last year of the hunt 2 tags were drawn in wmu 357. 357 is a fairly big wmu in case you've never been here. Taking 2 bears out of these wmu means sfa in all reality when you can go to any ripe oat field in the fall and you stand a pretty good chance there's a hump backed bear in it. I can't speak for the whole zone but I generally hunt in 5 sq miles of my house, 10 if I get bored. On any random year I would bet I've seen 3 grizz to 1 black. This is conservative estimate because for a number of years I've never seen a black.

I don't know what the number of tags were in other areas but I would suspect the numbers of tags that were given out would be similar.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Lol they were always a prairie animal so yeah they do belong there
So were bison .. want them reinstated as well ? As for the elk that are increasing steadily , at least they arent gonna maul some unsuspecting kid or hunter , but we are all getting tired of fixing fence and sorting out cattle that get mixed as a result of them .
Old 05-13-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
So were bison .. want them reinstated as well ? As for the elk that are increasing steadily , at least they arent gonna maul some unsuspecting kid or hunter , but we are all getting tired of fixing fence and sorting out cattle that get mixed as a result of them .
bahahaha tell that to the tourists in Yellowstone that get tagged every year!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
bahahaha tell that to the tourists in Yellowstone that get tagged every year!
They arent hunters and those camera toting tree huggers have it coming ..lol.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Default grizz

Mentioned it before the Two most dangerous areas to be killed by bears (both Blacks and Grizz) is Glacier and Yellowstone parks. Lots of bears, lots of people lots of conflict.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:48 AM

Like someone mentioned before, with BC banning the Grizzly hunt and they have a sustainable population, there is no way that the Alberta government is opening up a season anytime soon. Its all about perception, and a government looses a lot of future votes if they open a season for yogi, Winnie the poo or any other animated bear that has warped peoples perception of bears.

My largest issue with our bear situation is that you cannot find an accurate count on the Grizzly population in Alberta, or even an estimate. My opinion is that they will never release this number (if they know it) for the fear its going to be at an sustainable level. Which would give the hunting community more of a leg to stand on when discussing opening a season for them.

My opinion on all wildlife, is once an animal is at that sustainable level there should be a hunting season on them. The North American hunting model is based of this premise and has worked incredibly (for the most part).

Unfortunately my opinion doesn't matter and really no ones on here does either, as its a case of public perception.

Sad
Old 05-15-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
Like someone mentioned before, with BC banning the Grizzly hunt and they have a sustainable population, there is no way that the Alberta government is opening up a season anytime soon. Its all about perception, and a government looses a lot of future votes if they open a season for yogi, Winnie the poo or any other animated bear that has warped peoples perception of bears.

My largest issue with our bear situation is that you cannot find an accurate count on the Grizzly population in Alberta, or even an estimate. My opinion is that they will never release this number (if they know it) for the fear its going to be at an sustainable level. Which would give the hunting community more of a leg to stand on when discussing opening a season for them.

My opinion on all wildlife, is once an animal is at that sustainable level there should be a hunting season on them. The North American hunting model is based of this premise and has worked incredibly (for the most part).

Unfortunately my opinion doesn't matter and really no ones on here does either, as its a case of public perception.

Sad
Need a like button for the above comment ..well written

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 07:09 PM

Default gbears

once apon a time in Ontario the spring season for black bears was closed for the same reasons as what happened in BC. They have reopened in now because of to many problem bears showing up in citys. Give it some time and the same thing will happen here it wont take long for them to start chasing elk around Calgary
Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 PM

Have spot and stock hunted black bear three nights in the last seven and have seen 4 different grizzlies. I’m worried for the species for sure.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Have spot and stock hunted black bear three nights in the last seven and have seen 4 different grizzlies. I’m worried for the species for sure.
Yep
I haven't seen any blacks this year...run out of town or eaten I bet
Old 05-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Up in the hills here we usually have lots of black bears hanging around at this time. Haven’t seen one yet, only 4 separate grizzlies.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
It's pretty sad but I agree with you. Even a child were to get mauled nothing would change. The only thing done would be an increase in "bear awareness" education. But it's the world we live in now a days.
Or they will just find an excuse to close more and more areas for recreational access.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:32 AM

Is Alberta next

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Is Alberta next
No, it will never be reopened in Alberta.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Is Alberta next
Under our previous Government leadership, there WAS a directive to lay the groundwork to re-opening the hunt. It WAS being worked on!

This effort seems to have been squashed by the NDP.

Voting matters....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-24-2018, 11:00 PM

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...nak/634343002/
Old 05-25-2018, 07:53 AM

They don't even know how to estimate how many bears are in the province. It's a straight up guess. Here is a link to the government of Alberta grizzly bear recovery program if anyone is interested. http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...yPlan-2008.pdf