Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Snack Sticks - How many Grinds do you do?

Hey Guys

Smoking some snack sticks that I made last night.

I see lots of guys that grind course, mix then grind fine.

Is that first course grind necessary? I have a 1hp Grinder from Cabelas and the mixer to go with it. I am getting a quality grind and a thorough mix.

I like to take the time it takes out of that extra grind if I can. If the extra grind makes a better product then I'll keep it in the process but I would sure like to eliminate it next time if I can.

Looking forward to the comments.

I have the Hi Mountain snack stick and forgot to spice it up before mixing. I can see from the comments on here that the Hi Mountain is a bit weak in flavour. My kids are seem super sensitive to spice so could have done much anyway.

Doodle
Old 03-03-2018, 12:09 PM

Just did a bunch this week. I spice before grinding. Then ground twice through the coarse plate really happy with how it turned out. After grinding mix until it’s 90% done then added shredded cheese and finely diced Jalapeños finish mixing and stuff
Old 03-03-2018, 12:10 PM

One grind is optimal for snack stick texture in my opinion. My favorite recipe is from Hank Shaws website; Honest-food. It's a polish Kabinosy, strong garlic flavor but not really spicy. He uses sheep casings but I use the smaller collagen casings... https://honest-food.net/kabanosy-recipe/
Old 03-03-2018, 01:09 PM

Snack sticks (using high mountain as well) I’ve always done with one coarse grind.

Chili or tourtière definitely requires both coarse and fine.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Default Hi Mountain

As I mentioned in my first post, a number of reviews stated that Hi Mountain seasonings were weak in flavor. I had planned to add a bit of heat but forgot. I did add Onion and Garlic spice. Honestly I was pretty happy with the overall flavor, including the level of heat. I like spice without going crazy. This flavor enough heat that I could appreciate it without adding so much the kids wouldn't eat it. I think it was called the Hunters Blend.

Gonna make some more in a few weeks and this time I think I come up with my own blend.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:44 PM

Only grind any sausage once unless you are making bologna or the like and NEVER_NEVER add the spice before grinding. The spice will get hung up in the auger, the knife and the fluts in the auger head and you will loose a lot of flavour. After you grind it add about 1/2 to 2/3' of the ICE water the recipe calls for. Mix a bit. Then add the spice and mix more adding ice water as needed and only after it is nearly done mixing do you want to add the cure for your snack sticks. And always add cure, don't try and make them without cure, at least not if you value the health of those you are gifting with some beer sausage or peperoni sticks. One of those $89.00 ( on sale ) meat mixers from Princess Auto is invaluable if you are going to make any sausage. You will never go back to hand mixing--and a susage stuffer, not the grinder with a stuffer tube. You will get mushed meat product out of the stuffing tube on a grinder.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Only grind any sausage once unless you are making bologna or the like and NEVER_NEVER add the spice before grinding. The spice will get hung up in the auger, the knife and the fluts in the auger head and you will loose a lot of flavour. After you grind it add about 1/2 to 2/3' of the ICE water the recipe calls for. Mix a bit. Then add the spice and mix more adding ice water as needed and only after it is nearly done mixing do you want to add the cure for your snack sticks. And always add cure, don't try and make them without cure, at least not if you value the health of those you are gifting with some beer sausage or peperoni sticks. One of those $89.00 ( on sale ) meat mixers from Princess Auto is invaluable if you are going to make any sausage. You will never go back to hand mixing--and a susage stuffer, not the grinder with a stuffer tube. You will get mushed meat product out of the stuffing tube on a grinder.
Some good advice there^

I'm just thawing out some jalapeño and cheese sticks. Went to CTR in Calgary, bought jalapeño smokie mix and some of their hi-temp cheese. One fine grind on venison, one fine grind on pork. Mix the two with water, spice, cure and cheese then stuff with vertical stuffer.

Turned out fantastic!

J.