Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-04-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Hosting a US hunter

So a buddy from Washington is considering coming up here for a hunt. He is a looking for archery moose and I have never hosted a US hunter before.

Am I reading this all right?

If I purchase a hunter host licence (along with all my other required permits/tags), he can purchase a WIN Card, Wildlife Certificate($68), Bow hunting permit, and a moose tag($310).... and we can hunt any zone with a OTC archery moose tag. For example: 406 during september 6-23rd (assuming the regs don't change for 2018).

Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:16 PM

It's been quite a few years since I hosted a buddy of mine from the states and it was for whitetail so I'm unsure about which species are allowed and which aren't. But I do remember that for aliens you need to apply quite far in advance. It's not just come up, buy the licence and permits and go hunting.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
It's been quite a few years since I hosted a buddy of mine from the states and it was for whitetail so I'm unsure about which species are allowed and which aren't. But I do remember that for aliens you need to apply quite far in advance. It's not just come up, buy the licence and permits and go hunting.
Yeah, looks like it's gotta be done by August (at the latest) before the season. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:37 PM

I hunter hosted a bud from WA three years ago. He had already bought his WIN the year prior (we couldn't get together that year). I had to go to the Fish and Wildlife Office in Edmonton in person and fill in the HHost application, with the species he wanted to hunt (WT and Elk). That application was then mailed to my bud in WA who had to sign it, have it notarized, and return to me. I then took it to the Fish and Wildlife for them to approve and put in the system. When my bud got up here for the hunt, went and bought the tags and had a great hunt. Simple? Sort of. Timely? Did it in less than two weeks, but had to have it done before Aug for F&W deadline.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303 Epps View Post
I hunter hosted a bud from WA three years ago. He had already bought his WIN the year prior (we couldn't get together that year). I had to go to the Fish and Wildlife Office in Edmonton in person and fill in the HHost application, with the species he wanted to hunt (WT and Elk). That application was then mailed to my bud in WA who had to sign it, have it notarized, and return to me. I then took it to the Fish and Wildlife for them to approve and put in the system. When my bud got up here for the hunt, went and bought the tags and had a great hunt. Simple? Sort of. Timely? Did it in less than two weeks, but had to have it done before Aug for F&W deadline.
Right on. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303 Epps View Post
^^^this^^^

I'll add that they can buy 2 tags of any antlered spiciest and hunt with the same rules as resident hunters i.e.: antlered whitetail and moose, anywhere and any morbid that is open to residents will be open for the hosted hunter. Also there is a small form to fill out after the hunt and be handed in by the end of December just detailing the hunting activity whether you were successful or not.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
^^^this^^^

I'll add that they can buy 2 tags of any antlered spiciest and hunt with the same rules as resident hunters i.e.: antlered whitetail and moose, anywhere and any morbid that is open to residents will be open for the hosted hunter. Also there is a small form to fill out after the hunt and be handed in by the end of December just detailing the hunting activity whether you were successful or not.
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 AM

Do they not have to be under direct supervision of the hunter host

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2018, 09:18 AM

Whelen, yes they have to be guided by hunter host, I believe they can be placed on stand supervised by guide/host.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Do they not have to be under direct supervision of the hunter host

Yup. Me and him would be hunting together. I believe I have to be close enough to communicate without the use of electronics.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Yes that is right I caught a guy a few years ago from Pennsylvania quading around my place on a hunter host no idea that he had to be Hunter hosted the guy lived three miles away that was hosting him. Good luck on your hunt

Old 03-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Banned

If they have a whitetail tag are non res aliens allowed to take a doe or a buck?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:04 PM

I believe it has to be Antlered
Old 03-05-2018, 06:04 PM

Both him and you have to be in the same moose draw.
He can not apply on his own.