Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post
I don’t either but that doesn’t automatically mean his statement is false.
Maybe not but it does show some bias which is never a good thing if someone is trying to publish true and unbiased material .
A person has to keep an open mind when reading a lot of that stuff bebit modern blogs , websites , or articles by greats like Keith, O'Connor , etc......
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-25-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Every knows that you can't kill anything reliably with a 270! That caliber is only good for small deer and bunny rabbits.
Now that is just stupid.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Maybe not but it does show some bias which is never a good thing if someone is trying to publish true and unbiased material .
A person has to keep an open mind when reading a lot of that stuff bebit modern blogs , websites , or articles by greats like Keith, O'Connor , etc......
Cat
I don’t think he is being biased at all. If you read the paragraph before the one I quoted, and the one after, he explains himself. As I said before; he is not knocking the .270 - simply stating that there was a period when a lot of factory ammo wasn’t loaded to take advantage of the .270s capabilities. I fail to see how this can be construed as biased.

I also am aware that not everything I read is true, and am capable of forming opinions as to what I deem plausible. But thanks for the advice.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post
I don’t think he is being biased at all. If you read the paragraph before the one I quoted, and the one after, he explains himself. As I said before; he is not knocking the .270 - simply stating that there was a period when a lot of factory ammo wasn’t loaded to take advantage of the .270s capabilities. I fail to see how this can be construed as biased.

I also am aware that not everything I read is true, and am capable of forming opinions as to what I deem plausible. But thanks for the advice.
All I read was your quote in your post .
If in fact it was not the case you maybe should have posted the whole thing, because that clearly was not the take away from your post .
Cat
Old 02-26-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
All I read was your quote in your post .
If in fact it was not the case you maybe should have posted the whole thing, because that clearly was not the take away from your post .
Cat
The link to this website is on the original post to this thread. I posted the paragraph I posted because that was the one that supposedly contained all the “false” information. To take this paragraph into proper context I went back and read the supporting information around the paragraph “in question” - as anybody can do if they go to the website and read it. The intent of posting this website link was to give others who haven’t seen it the opportunity to find some good information by someone who has done an awful lot of research. Just because someone has never heard of a problem doesn’t mean it never happened, or is false. It’s a big world, and there’s lots of folks out there with experience.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 PM

I've shot a few hundred red deer in New Zealand while culling, with the .270 win, while I don't agree with sum of the stuff He has written,
How many of you hunt deer in early spring, after a hard winter, the spring season, time and time again produced the highest kill rates for culler in NZ,
Deer were often quite skinny after a hard winter, until the spring flush, of growth was well under way.
Average shooting distance when I was hunting in South Island NZ would be about 150-180m, north island about 40 m
Ammo for culling was bought in bulk, by NZ forest service, and was likely the cheapest they could get, Sako one year, pmc the next, federal the year after,
I don't disagree with his statement, is so far as New Zealand goes, but it is not likely correct, for all area of the world, due to different, hunting rules, and supplies.
As far as bullet performance goes, I just switched to shooting threw the shoulder, if possible,
The best of the .270 win ammo I had threw the early 80s was Norma 150 gr soft point, PMP 110 gr soft point and the 140 gr Remington ballistic tip,
I think the Sako ammo was 130 gr oryx, or similar, and was a bugger for lack of expansion.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
I've shot a few hundred red deer in New Zealand while culling, with the .270 win, while I don't agree with sum of the stuff He has written,
How many of you hunt deer in early spring, after a hard winter, the spring season, time and time again produced the highest kill rates for culler in NZ,
Deer were often quite skinny after a hard winter, until the spring flush, of growth was well under way.
Average shooting distance when I was hunting in South Island NZ would be about 150-180m, north island about 40 m
Ammo for culling was bought in bulk, by NZ forest service, and was likely the cheapest they could get, Sako one year, pmc the next, federal the year after,
I don't disagree with his statement, is so far as New Zealand goes, but it is not likely correct, for all area of the world, due to different, hunting rules, and supplies.
As far as bullet performance goes, I just switched to shooting threw the shoulder, if possible,
The best of the .270 win ammo I had threw the early 80s was Norma 150 gr soft point, PMP 110 gr soft point and the 140 gr Remington ballistic tip,
I think the Sako ammo was 130 gr oryx, or similar, and was a bugger for lack of expansion.
Not sure what to get out of this. You disagree with most of his stuff. You don’t disagree with his statement. You have taken to shoulder shooting stuff. From reading your post my take on it is that you don’t agree that ammo was ever a problem, yet you have found out for yourself that some of it performs better than others. And now just to be safe you shoulder shoot stuff when you can?
Old 03-05-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
I was taught to save meat by shooting back from the shoulder. It worked well for me because I was hunting mostly areas with less cover and I was in a position to watch the animal for quite a distance after the shot. a dead animal after short run was no problem.

Now I hunt more west and in areas near heavy cover and a short run without tracking snow may be a problem. I find that through the shoulder or along the line in front of the fore leg drops them closer to the point of shot.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:01 PM

Nice to see someone who has shifted, away from the std North American behind the shoulder, due to changing hunting conditions, it's different in NZ we can hunt all year, and as many deer as you can shoot, so mostly I just take the back steaks and rear quarters, unless it's a fallow deer, then, I try and pack out the whole animal.
shift to a heavy for cal, slower bullet, and you won't ruin much meat, ie 7x57 with 175 gr or 9.3x62 with 286 g
I am loading rifles in SUV and am off to catch the ferry, to the South Island, going for a Thar/Red deer, hunt for a week.