Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 07:45 PM

Default Swaro EL Range vs. Swaro EL

So it’s time to upgrade the binos and I was just wondering what everyone’s experiences were before I drop the coin.

I’ve read about a few guys having issues with the rangefinder in the Ranges and a couple cases that had guys without their binos for quite some time.

I’m just wondering if it’s worth the risk/hassle to have a all-in-one setup. I have the cash for either and would prefer to “buy once cry once”.

Thanks for the help guys!

-Mad
Old 02-26-2018, 07:40 AM

I've never heard or read about people having issues with the rangefinder on an EL range. Where did you see this?

Both are amazing tools it all depends what you really want. The EL's will be optically better because they have Swarovision (field flattener lenses, difference in coatings ect). Sharp, crisp, flat viewing (no rolling ball when glassing side to side or up and down which eliminates eye strain).

The EL range are fantastically bright and only add 2.5oz of weight in a unit that has both great glassing capacity and are ergonomically comfortable. Nothing to knock on for image quality either, you won't be disapointed. The EL's are just THAT much better.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:22 AM

I had this dilemma last fall and decided that range finders are always going to get better, it’s just how electronics go. But good quality glass will be hard to beat and when it is it’s very marginal. It also helped that I got my bingos 15% off when wholesale was going out of business.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:40 PM

I read about the issues when I did a google search on the binos and read some of the reviews.

I’m still unsure which way I’m going to go just yet, I’m curious to see if my eyes will even notice the difference between the Swarovision and the ranges.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:19 AM

Ive had the EL and now have the EL range. I can say the optics were slightly better on the EL, but having the rangefinder built in is awesome, and the optics are still incredible.

I personally don’t like having to dig out a rangefinder when looking at a critter, so the all-in-one thing works well for me.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:10 PM

Default Swaros

I have had both of the models and the glass on the straight ELs is slightly better. In saying that-anything that you are looking at, with the intent of shooting, will be more than visible enough with the EL Range, and you aren't reaching for a range finder to check yardage.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:28 AM

I have the EL range the newest ones and yes there are issues with the rangefinder especially when bow hunting. If you are a right handed archer you can't Hold you bow and get a quick range while using your single right hand it’s impossible. Second the rangefinder softwere will malfunction from time to time. It will just sit there flashing and thinking and never show a range, as hunter we all know that when it chooses to muck up is at the exact time you need it most. Positive side is it is a simple fix just do a master reset. Hold under belly button for 1 minute let them sit for two muniuts then it will work fine again for a certain amount of time. On a regular day you have three minutes in the heat of the moment you don’t. So I carry a Leica 1200 that works every time as a backup.

Last edited by raw outdoors; 03-02-2018 at 07:40 AM.