Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 04:08 PM

Default "Laser Sighting" for bows from Garmin

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fi...tal-bow-sight/ Amazing technology, is it legal here?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:29 PM

Legal - yes.

Will it work in cold weather? Who knows. Most rangefinding scopes haven't fared so well.

Very cool concept though. Looking forward to seeing reviews next season.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:44 PM

Ya, that is really neat! Kind of along the lines of the Burris eliminator scope, but only for a bow. I like it! Will I use something like that? Probably not, since it will not be Pope and Young legal. Neat idea though, a lot of people will benefit from it.

Norm
Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 PM

Looked at a few videos online the hefty price tag of likely $1500+ CAD isn't worth it IMHO.

LC
Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 PM

i wonder how many guys are going to miss animals because this thing picks up a faulty range off a tree limb or leaf
Old 01-10-2018, 10:04 PM

Default Nope

My concern with this is people will overlook the work required to become accurate with a bow and simply rely on the technology to do it for them. Not that this is much different than other weapons but nevertheless...

Morb
Old 01-11-2018, 05:22 AM

An argument could be made that with better aiming technology, less wounded animals. Most guys out there tote a gps (or phone app) but how many can properly navigate with map and compass? Few know how to even orient a map. My point is the better nav technology has resulted in fewer lost hunters each fall. I like technological improvements but I'll have to wait for the price to come down before I try this product.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:39 AM

Cool product but like with any new technology better to wait for version 2.0 once all the kinks are figured out.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:47 AM

Looks like IQ has a new rangefinder laser sight as well. Still has pins though.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Ya, that is really neat! Kind of along the lines of the Burris eliminator scope, but only for a bow. I like it! Will I use something like that? Probably not, since it will not be Pope and Young legal. Neat idea though, a lot of people will benefit from it.

Norm
If it really is like the Burris eliminator, then it's going to have problems in cold weather. Cool idea though
Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Banned

With the speed of the new bows, judging distance may not be as critical as it once was but I think if people spent as much or more time judging distance as they do shooting, they would be much more consistent shooters. If your a year round shooter work on the technique inside in the winter and on judging distance in the spring, summer, fall.

Back in the day I used to shoot outside a lot and with the exception of a few warm up shots to start I was constantly walking,stopping, shooting. It helped me judge distance a lot better and I found it more fun than just shooting from the same distance. Gopher shooting with judos is also great for judging distance.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
An argument could be made that with better aiming technology, less wounded animals. Most guys out there tote a gps (or phone app) but how many can properly navigate with map and compass? Few know how to even orient a map. My point is the better nav technology has resulted in fewer lost hunters each fall. I like technological improvements but I'll have to wait for the price to come down before I try this product.
OR the argument could be made guys will step outside their personal effective range thinking the technology will make up for their shortcomings.

Why practice yardage judging when a machine does all the work...point and shoot right?

LC
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM

I like the technology, but I'd be more inclined to buy a lighter version of the Leupold Vendetta if someone came out with one. Would be nice to have one less item to **** around with in the shot process in September but I'm not giving up my spot hogg
Old 01-11-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
OR the argument could be made guys will step outside their personal effective range thinking the technology will make up for their shortcomings.

Why practice yardage judging when a machine does all the work...point and shoot right?

LC
Agreed. That is human nature.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC

I completely agree with your 1st statement and how that would be a poor decision thinking the tech would make you better at distances.

but.....

I think we owe it to the animals we hunt to do everything possible to ensure a clean kill? If you ask any hunter/shooter what is more accurate, yard estimation or a handheld range finder, the ranger finder will win every time. I know tech can fail, but when it does it is then up to the individual hunter to know their limitations.

On November 29th this year I went to pickup my ground blinds as I was headed to Wainwright to hunt the Muzzle Loader season. I took my bow along as I had both a mulie and WT for Strathcona still available. I run a Leupold Vendetta on my bow and it has worked flawless out to 70 yards everytime. Drawing, ranging and then settling my pin in has now become part of "draw cycle." When hunting I wear my Leupold handheld on my hip for back-up or longer distances when doing spot and stalk; not really for the shot but more for knowing how much ground I have covered. This day I didn't bother wearing the handheld. Of course I run into what would have been my biggest mulie. Unaware that I was there, I watched him in a clearing for 45 minutes dogging a doe. I knew the clearing to be about 140 yards north to south and 60 yards wide. I was 4 yards into the bush on the north side and he was in the middle of the clearing. During the 45 minutes I drew 3 times with clear shooting lane and tried to get a range, but couldn't. Knowing my Vendetta always worked flawlessly, it told me the Mulie was farther than 70 yards. He never came any closer that day and I never got a shot. In this case the Vendetta help me to stay within my effective range and not take a unethical (for me) shot.

I think the tech on face value is awesome and if works like advertised will increase success rates and reduce (even by a little) wounded animals. In the hands of an ethical hunter it is no different than using a better broadhead, or a more reliable drop away, or a faster bow. But at $999 USD, it might be a while before we see these thing mainstream here in Canada. Also with the chatter on Archery Talk, Garmin is going to be filling a lot American orders before this thing starts going out internationally.

The boys at Jimbow's should get a first hand look at it next week down south, hopefully it lives up to the hype.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:55 AM

^ Smart post, and thanks for the heads up on Vendetta.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:13 AM

What Brendan's Dad said.

The more accurate you are, the less chance of wounded game, and a better chance for filling your tags. It's definitely not a substitute for practice.

When I'm in my tree stand I'll range a few trees to get an idea of what pins I need to use. That way I'm not pulling out my range finder in the heat of the moment, or making a guess at yardage because I don't want to move. This is far more accurate than what I do.

The more information you have the better. This is just a tool to get that information faster and with less movement. Just because I know the range, doesn't mean I'll make a farther shot on game just because I can tell how far it is.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:29 PM

I wonder if the pin is smaller at long ranges or if it's one size fits all kinda deal?
Old 01-12-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Agreed. That is human nature.
X2
Old 01-12-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBowman View Post
i wonder how many guys are going to miss animals because this thing picks up a faulty range off a tree limb or leaf
That was my first thought. When possible I like to get a "double" reading before taking a shot. Other wise, I range trees, bait, etc and adjust myself that way.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:31 PM

The last 5 animals I have shot, I couldn't range. These were a mix of spot and stalk and tree stand animals.

I was fortunate in several cases that I shoot my bow(s) a lot. I realize not everyone can shoot as much. I always have a range finder with me because it's a great tool, and if I can use it I will.

This sight how ever, while it projects the correct pin for you....you still have to make the shot.

I feel many will have the false sense that the sight will make you a better shot. I am all for new technology, but people need to be realistic about their capabilities.

LC