Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-04-2011, 01:53 PM

i hit my stand at least half hour before I can see, never mind legal light. Id fight tooth and nail anybody who charged me with poaching or the like. I also stay in my stand sometimes untill its really dark. I like to scout and see whats moving around. An all nighter would give a clue to when to be there next time to see when they are movng and not spook em.

still sounds like a young mans game, staying in a stand all night. I say giver
Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Tried that in a ground blind, once.

Chickened out about midnight. If I did it again, there'd be a small catalytic heater in there, with me.

Grizz

I've got a blind similar to that one that I've covered the lower walls with reflective pipe insulation. With a small heater I'll be able to take my jacket off in it in -30 C weather. I plan on sleeping in it on Sept. 16th, with any luck I'll be on the elk at first light on opening day.

I wouldn't spend the night on my hang on stands for comfort reasons.

I've covered the windows since with HS camo netting and hinged ply wood.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Here is an idea that could solve this issue people have with this....

Have your bow on the ground all night tethered to your raising/lowering rope....when morning comes and just before legal light raise it up and get ready to hunt!

I thought more about this and I have gone in super early in the morning (pitch black) to get into my stand and get ready for something that comes in at first legal.....what would be the difference?

LC
Can't see anything wrong with this .. you're not hunting until legal light and it's no different than coming in early .. IMO.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Put it this way....if you leave your bow at home then you are all good. Take it with you and....you COULD be labelled as hunting at night. If you go for a drive in the dark to scout field at night and you have a rifle in your truck that is accessible.....F&W pulls you over....guess what.....you get to explain in court what you were doing in the dark with a rifle in your truck at arms length.

Natives hunt at night under a full moon.....part of their treaty rights isn't it? Not trying to derail, but people do hunt that way.....

LC
Not true man they have to follow the same hunting rules as anyone else . The only difference is some places are not closed to them,and can hunt all year if needed.Cannot hunt at night.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown royal 17 View Post
Not true man they have to follow the same hunting rules as anyone else . The only difference is some places are not closed to them,and can hunt all year if needed.Cannot hunt at night.
Ok maybe I am mistaken....I could have sworn though it was legal for them to hunt under a full moon as it falls in line with their hunting traditions...but if I am wrong I can accept that.

Some of the same rules perhaps but there are no bag limits....

LC
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

$100 on the floor of a walmart...I'd turn it in without question. Funny how for some they gotta think about what the right thing to do is. I could also sit in a stand and watch a world record whatever walk right under me 2 minutes before shooting starts and I wouldn't shoot. Who wants to have to tell the story of shooting a world record for the rest of their lives knowing full well it was illegal??

Glad I don't have to deal with these "moral" dilemmas.

Have a good time in your stand, take some pics, it sounds like a good adventure. You got me thinking about trying it in a ground blind this fall now.

I really don't see how this could be against any laws as long as you don't shoot until legal. A quick call to FW would clear it up...they've always been helpful anytime I've had any questions.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 AM

raises some interesting questions. staying in a blind could be considered as "lie in wait for" then again so could your sheep spike camp. the catch word is "carrying" a weapon and the just presence of a weapon is not carrying. the intent to hunt would have to be proven beyond a doubt,such as seeing someone spot lighting,or hearing a shot from the location.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 AM

Default what rugatika said

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
A quick call to FW would clear it up...they've always been helpful anytime I've had any questions.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 AM

If you put another spin on this scenario....

Substitute, "sleep in a treestand all night with a bow" to "sleep in a treestand all night with a rifle".....even though one is no morse than the other, the rifle guy will get frowned upon.....right?

LC
Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
If you put another spin on this scenario....

Substitute, "sleep in a treestand all night with a bow" to "sleep in a treestand all night with a rifle".....even though one is no morse than the other, the rifle guy will get frowned upon.....right?

LC
Either way a poacher will poach and an ethical hunter wont. It's against the law to discharge a firearm at night but you can still carry one. Whats the difference from a guy who sit's in a stand an hour before sunrise and one who spends all night?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Either way a poacher will poach and an ethical hunter wont. It's against the law to discharge a firearm at night but you can still carry one. Whats the difference from a guy who sit's in a stand an hour before sunrise and one who spends all night?
Thats my point...there is no difference.

BUT try walking around in the middle of the night carrying a rifle and then the onus is on you to prove you are not doing anything wrong....if F&W see that or stop you....I think you would have a day in court to explain things....

LC
Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Put it this way....if you leave your bow at home then you are all good. Take it with you and....you COULD be labelled as hunting at night. If you go for a drive in the dark to scout field at night and you have a rifle in your truck that is accessible.....F&W pulls you over....guess what.....you get to explain in court what you were doing in the dark with a rifle in your truck at arms length.

Natives hunt at night under a full moon.....part of their treaty rights isn't it? Not trying to derail, but people do hunt that way.....

LC
"Labelled" or charged?

There is nothing illegal with having a bow or a rifle in your possesion at night. Using one at night outside of a registered shooting range is illegal.

Treaty card holders in Alberta are NOT allowed to hunt at night, for anything, under any circumstance.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM

Take a set of low power,large objective bino's with you. It's almost like having night vision.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The question wasn't have you ever been stuck in a stand over night, it was have you ever TRIED.
Was offerin up some experience on sittin all night as Ive been there. You just trollin for a fight and picked this thread or what?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:53 PM

Default time in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Sounds likes great way to poach a deer. All night up in the stand on a full moon, bow in hand. Monster buck walks by under your stand in your shooting lane. Thwack no one but you and the deer hear the arrow. By sun up he's dead and you have all day to track him. Makes perfect sense.

A guy that has the dedication to stay in the woods all night for the love of the wild is good to me. A few season's ago It was the day before rifle opener, I took my rifle out to make a few long distance shots while hunting grouse. it was about 1/2 hour to days end, looking down a cut line for something distinctive enough to shoot at 350-400 yrds, what comes out of the trees at 123yrds..... the LARGEST bull elk iv ever seen 7 on one side 8 on the other, Had my 7mmrem mag in hand the evening before opening day middle of no-where, could have easily dropped my first elk that day and came back in the morning to load it out. nope just watched him disappear into the trees, the only chance Iv had at a bull in 4 years. sure it was tempting im not gonna lie, but not all of us are redneck hillbillies waiting to blow everything away. I can respect a guy to the fullest respect for wanting to hang out in the woods all night. done it more then once myself, damn beavers can be sneaky and scare the crap out of a guy when you turn around to grab a beer and one is right there!! I would actually encourage everyone here to spend a night or two or 5 watching over a field, stream crossing, or any other high traffic area. Alot of critters, well just about all of them wonder around at some point after dark you would be surprized what you might see, even ol' saskwach wont see you untill its to late !!!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Not all us redneck hillbillies wanna blow everything away either lmao
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM

Thought about it, but not taken the plunge yet. Not to see or hear what's there in the night, but just to already be there by legal.
Our tower stands (4 of them) are 18 - 20 ft high shacks, more like garden sheds in the sky, so spending a night in these would be great. They already have 5 gal pail pottys, C3 heater & kettle, 20 lb tanks strapped to the outside, foam floors, latched windows & door. Swivel stools, cot would be easy. Rebar pinned 4x4 legs so little chance of them toppling in any weather.
But the plan for now is just to outfit them to spend most of the day in them.

TBark
Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Default night

I have lain in an open field all night waiting for elk but tha't different than sitting in a treestand. I have stayed in a treestand until about 3 hours after dark and I love it! I'm not hunting as the bow has been lowered onto the ground and my shooting tab is nicely tucked away. It's almost magical to see the night creatures cruising around and I'd love to stay all night if I had the opportunity. I think if I was in a good elk area I'd be willing to stay all night to be in position for legal hunting time the next morning. It would be a great way to go except for the amount of scent that a fellow would give off in the same area for that long.

I ended up hunting moose right next to a fellers ground blind one fall as I didn't know it was there when I came in during the darkness. He made all kinds of noise getting out of his sleeping bag and ready to hunt. So with that in mind I wouldn't go with that option....but an uncomfortable treestand could keep a guy pretty quiet.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 AM

i bought a summit goliath climber for this season.....if a guy dressed accordingly you could sleep in that bugger easy....almost too comfy.

im usually in my stand an hour or more before light and have had activity start right at last light....my curiousity has kept me in the stand hours after dark before just to see what might come out....would i loose an arrow in the dark? not in a million years

you want to try it i say go for it....but do it quick as its still pretty warm LOL
Old 09-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Ethics is a fickle date..........I was wt doe hunting many years ago when I had this 180+ buck walk within 15 yards of me. Buck tag already used and there i was tracking his every move through my scope.......all i had to do was squeeze but i thought "hey man you managed to avoid me all season (last day) that means you won" so i let him walk....buddy had a buck tag and wasn't far......he would have been happy to take meat home and leave me the horns......he will never know i let a 180+ walk.........my best is still a 165 3/8 gross......i harbor no regets.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:50 PM

Default Sliping in the tree stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonker892 View Post
Has anyone ever tried spending the night in a treestand? I know it sounds crazy but I wouldn't mind giving it a try just too see what moves around at night
I was also thinking about that , but I like to build a tree stand with a tent on it and climb in in the evening and sleep at night in warm sleeping bag and look around in the morning ( no disturbing the wildlife )

It is not going to be extreme for me because I was on the hunting trip
in december for two weeks and was sleeping in the Pontiac Grand Am
in -22C heating only in the evening and morning for an hour
The result was Moose , cow , calf Wolf , Fox . Food vas prepared just had to warm up on dashboard ..... For cleaning used baby wipes...
On the way home I had a half cow in the trunk ... and half a calf on the top of the Grand AM under the sled....
MNR checked as out and they was stunned...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildnFree View Post
Not all us redneck hillbillies wanna blow everything away either lmao

Years ago on AO someone wanted to blow away a bear. Then someone posted a big swamp boat with monster fans. Man. That was funny.
Wish I could find that thread for a giggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisebuck View Post
Ethics is a fickle date..........I was wt doe hunting many years ago when I had this 180+ buck walk within 15 yards of me. Buck tag already used and there i was tracking his every move through my scope.......all i had to do was squeeze but i thought "hey man you managed to avoid me all season (last day) that means you won" so i let him walk....buddy had a buck tag and wasn't far......he would have been happy to take meat home and leave me the horns......he will never know i let a 180+ walk.........my best is still a 165 3/8 gross......i harbor no regets.

I think most people would appreciate it if you used bino's instead of your scope.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:12 PM

years ago before trail cams were invented
I had a raised blind much like the one in this picture
had a heater in it
stayed three nights in a row in it
caught the local night hunters and had them charged
it was interesting to say the least
best sleeps I've had besides being out in the trapline cabins
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonker892 View Post
Has anyone ever tried spending the night in a treestand? I know it sounds crazy but I wouldn't mind giving it a try just too see what moves around at night
Ah, the unmarried life. LOL I recall sleeping on the 20th floor balcony of my apartment to try out my new sleeping bag.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM

Op was talking a treestand. Couple things that come to mind right away are firstly the safety aspect. Falling asleep at some time during the night would be a real possibility and even wearing a harness still puts you at risk. If you arent fully conversed on how to get back into the stand while dangling 15 feet in air you could be in big trouble More than one hunter has been found dangling dead while suspended from his safety harness as circulation gets cut off. Having to attempt to get back in at night would only make the procedure more difficult I would think and no one would be around for quick assistance.

Second thing that comes to mind is your scent pooling down to bottom of tree and spreading outward. You are greatly increasing your time in your stand( hunting zone) so also greatly enhancing the opportunity for your scent to saturate your immediate hunting area and alert the animals you want to hunt.
Considering that even putting out 3 or 4 trail camera's in the close vicinity to your stand would give you the same info about game activity without the risk or opportunity to spook animals I'd say its not worth it.