Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 10:46 AM

Default Grafting apple tree

I have some apple branches that need pruning. I know that this parent tree comes from a different root stock, which also makes suckers coming out of the ground.

I've been playing around with the idea of grafting different branches onto different trees but now I'm wondering how I could make a new apple tree the same as this one. I think I might take the suckers and transplant them them to get the root stock, then wait until next year to graft the eating apple on top.

I'm wondering if anyone here has done this before?

Also, does the type of apple tree make a big difference in compatibility for grafting? I've got some well established crab apple trees I'd like to try grafting good apples on to. I don't know the names of any of these since I forgot to write them down when I planted...

Also, feel free to post any of your tree grafting success pictures.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:07 AM

I know my dad use to do just that. Had apple trees with 3 flavours. I think the suckers root easily enough. I would try some hardwood rooting powder To speed things up.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:22 AM

I have yet to use one, but these look cool for making grafts:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...-grafting-tool
Old 05-25-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I have yet to use one, but these look cool for making grafts:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...-grafting-tool
That looks great. Might have to get one of those, there are a few things I need from LV anyhow.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:42 AM

My MIL has awesome apples, 2 kinds. My dads tree sucks lol. Is it too late to graft? If not, I will go get this tool and do what I have wanted to do for years. Get some good apples on his tree.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:35 PM

I did some test grafts on an older ornamental apple about a month ago. I cut the grafts back in February, kept them in the fridge in water. Got two varieties of pear and one apple, it looks like most of the grafts were successful. Used a utility knife, electric tape and pruning paint
Pic here ---> https://postimg.cc/8sKBkdwp
Old 05-26-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atex View Post
I did some test grafts on an older ornamental apple about a month ago. I cut the grafts back in February, kept them in the fridge in water. Got two varieties of pear and one apple, it looks like most of the grafts were successful. Used a utility knife, electric tape and pruning paint
Pic here ---> https://postimg.cc/8sKBkdwp
You got pear to grow on ornamental Apple? I didn’t think that was possible
Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 AM

I have a mature pear tree in a part of my yard that is very shaded by the neighbors adjacent spruce trees, it grows lots of small pears but they’re mealy and never ripen. I wonder if grafting some of those over to one of my apple or crabapple trees would work, just to see if they get edible given better sunlight? Or perhaps they’re just more decorative/ crab-pears?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
You got pear to grow on ornamental Apple? I didn’t think that was possible
You can graft trees into each-other as long as they are in the same family, like apple, pear, quince are all compatible. Hard pitted fruits are like plums and peach are compatible as well.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atex View Post
You can graft trees into each-other as long as they are in the same family, like apple, pear, quince are all compatible. Hard pitted fruits are like plums and peach are compatible as well.
So I won’t be able to graft an apple Scion onto my pine rootstock? I wanted a pineapple tree...
Old 05-26-2020, 01:09 PM

You should be fine to transplant the root stock, You might need to wait two seasons to let the tree settle before you try grafting and scions from other trees to it though. I believe all crab and apple trees are compatible with each other so you can graft crab apples to an apple tree . I just did 2 grafts to my tree two days ago for the first time so I think it could take just over a month to see if the grafts took or not.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip