Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 11:57 AM

Default Raw dog food

Hey guys, anybody here feeding their four legged friends raw? If so, what’s the best place to get one around Edmonton?
I had a guy brought me some beef cheeks and other trimmed stuff from one of the butcher shops outside of town but he doesn’t go there anymore.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Hey guys, anybody here feeding their four legged friends raw? If so, what’s the best place to get one around Edmonton?
I had a guy brought me some beef cheeks and other trimmed stuff from one of the butcher shops outside of town but he doesn’t go there anymore.
Our last dog liked K9 Choice but it was pricey. I think around $80-90 for a 20lb box for buffalo or llama (he had allergies). He ate 1lb per day. We have 3 English Bulldogs now and can’t afford to feed them all raw. Would like to but it is price prohibitive. Even now we are spending about $200/month of kibble.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:28 PM

The complete K9 in Lacombe.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:10 PM

I TRIAL and guide for over 40 years we us Purina and ground beef,dogs do well Purina because it is made the same every where !
Old 05-24-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Our last dog liked K9 Choice but it was pricey. I think around $80-90 for a 20lb box for buffalo or llama (he had allergies). He ate 1lb per day. We have 3 English Bulldogs now and can’t afford to feed them all raw. Would like to but it is price prohibitive. Even now we are spending about $200/month of kibble.
Yeah that sounds pricey. I was paying $5 per kilo, was looking for something in this price range.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:03 PM

I picked up a moose struck by traffic last winter. Ten bucks for 400 pounds of premium raw dog food. You do have to get your hands dirty...
Old 05-24-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah that sounds pricey. I was paying $5 per kilo, was looking for something in this price range.
This was complete meals (not just meat) and was buffalo or llama. Beef and Chicken are way cheaper and reasonably priced. 2 out of 3 of our dogs have allergies. One allergic to chicken and one allergic to beef so to keep things simple we just feed kibble. I’d like to find a raw diet but everything we have priced out is way to much. We feed Zignature Kangaroo Kibble now.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:53 PM
Banned

Grand Dog essentials in rocky mountain house for our retrievers. They have lots of variety and deliver for $5.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 PM

Clubmead Pet Resort. 5KM from Int'l Airport.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
We switched to PETS GO RAW for our puppy. Bone & Biscuit or Homes Alive stock it. We started with individual meats one at a time to see, if our puppy had an allergy to anything, he didn't so we now get the variety pack, 50lbs. for $55.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:06 AM

Default Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
We switched to PETS GO RAW for our puppy. Bone & Biscuit or Homes Alive stock it. We started with individual meats one at a time to see, if our puppy had an allergy to anything, he didn't so we now get the variety pack, 50lbs. for $55.
I did a quick Google and I found the variety pac here in Calgary, but the price I am seeing is $55 for 25lbs more like 2x the cost you quoted.
Which location was giving you that price? I may be tempted to source it there.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppysan View Post
I did a quick Google and I found the variety pac here in Calgary, but the price I am seeing is $55 for 25lbs more like 2x the cost you quoted.
x 2 when I looked into it before it was also way more then that.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppysan View Post
My bad, is it $55 for 25lbs.(50 patties), that is where I made my mistake. I know every Bone & Biscuit is different as we deal in Fort Saskatchewan. If you bring in your B&B reusable bag they give you another 5% off and also earn points towards a free box. I think my wife told me that the points add up to every 10th box is free.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
My bad, is it $55 for 25lbs.(50 patties), that is where I made my mistake. I know every Bone & Biscuit is different as we deal in Fort Saskatchewan. If you bring in your B&B reusable bag they give you another 5% off and also earn points towards a free box. I think my wife told me that the points add up to every 10th box is free.
$55 is still a good price. We go through a 25 lb box of Carnivora beef dinner every 12 days or so. $116 incl. tax. I wonder how much difference there is in the product? I'll have to do a little research. My dog sure loves the stuff though along with a little frozen tripe every day.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:45 PM

The only thing that make me uncertain about feeding my little guy a frozen patty is the fact that I was told by more than few breeders and others that the meet they use to make those is rendered, another word it can come from the dead or sick animal.... that kinda gross me out... Yes I’m aware that dogs stomach is different than human and that it can digest even rotten meat without problems but still....
So far I was lucky to source some beef cheeks from the small butcher but I’m loosing this opportunity...
Old 05-26-2020, 01:07 PM

Our pup eats Pets Go Raw variety pack. Around $55 for 25lbs at Home Alive Pets. They do 10% off the first Tuesday of every month and the 10th or 12th box is free when you give them your phone number. It seems to be the most economical and available option I have found.

There was a place in Fort Sask that sold 50 Lb bags for around $80, but I think they might be shut down due to the 'Rona. Their patties don't have vegetables mixed in so you have to be diligent supplementing them in. It is a great price per pound if Fort Sask isn't inconvenient for you.

Our 70 Lb Pit gets one patty in the morning and one at night plus any veggie ends or table scraps from the days meals. We have a tupperware container that holds 8 patties. It stays in our fridge to thaw while the rest is stored in the chest freezer. Every 4 days we wash and refill the container.

In my opinion raw food is the best thing you can do for your dog. I equate kibble to Mc Donalds (even the premium stuff). Imagine how you would feel only eating Big Macs every day and what it would do for your long term health. Raw costs about the same as premium kibble. Even if raw does cost more I think there are long term savings due to less vet bills by having a healthier dog.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRussian View Post
Our pup eats Pets Go Raw variety pack. Around $55 for 25lbs at Home Alive Pets. They do 10% off the first Tuesday of every month and the 10th or 12th box is free when you give them your phone number. It seems to be the most economical and available option I have found.

There was a place in Fort Sask that sold 50 Lb bags for around $80, but I think they might be shut down due to the 'Rona. Their patties don't have vegetables mixed in so you have to be diligent supplementing them in. It is a great price per pound if Fort Sask isn't inconvenient for you.

Our 70 Lb Pit gets one patty in the morning and one at night plus any veggie ends or table scraps from the days meals. We have a tupperware container that holds 8 patties. It stays in our fridge to thaw while the rest is stored in the chest freezer. Every 4 days we wash and refill the container.

In my opinion raw food is the best thing you can do for your dog. I equate kibble to Mc Donalds (even the premium stuff). Imagine how you would feel only eating Big Macs every day and what it would do for your long term health. Raw costs about the same as premium kibble. Even if raw does cost more I think there are long term savings due to less vet bills by having a healthier dog.
A huge difference as well is the size of the turds. Kibble ones are gigantic compared to the little ones with raw.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
A huge difference as well is the size of the turds. Kibble ones are gigantic compared to the little ones with raw.
Indeed. The turds that the magpies don't eat turn to chalky dust.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:

What was the name of this place? I tried googling but nothing like this came up...
Old 05-27-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
What was the name of this place? I tried googling but nothing like this came up...
https://petsgoraw.ca/?gclid=EAIaIQob...SAAEgKhlfD_BwE
Old 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Not that one, lol. The one in ft Saskatchewan.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:28 AM

Urban Dog Spa sold it. They are still closed down due to the 'rona. Hopefully they open back up soon.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Urban Dog Spa sold it. They are still closed down due to the 'rona. Hopefully they open back up soon.
Thank you, I will give them a call.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:21 PM

Just priced out a box of 25lbs of the beef from Pets Go Raw at the local pet store, $182!!! She said it will go down next order but that is crazy expensive. That’s not even a months worth of food for a large dog. 25lbs of chicken was $60.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
The complete K9 in Lacombe.
x2, can get 100lbs of frozen for around $150. Have an app where you can order online and they do monthly distributions to a bunch of cities/towns in the province where you can just drive up and they throw your order into your vehicle for you.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:30 PM

I was trying to find out if these raw food companies put the Actual beef fat into the patties and there is no information about it... Fat is a terrible ingredient for dogs.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Raw Dog Food

I know several dog owners who feed there dogs Beaver meat. TheY add it to there diet, dogs love it and cheap.