Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
I often disagree with what you post, but this, sir, clearly shows you’re an idiot. Plain and simple.
Nope just shows you have a difference of opinion. It's allowed to be different than yours without being idiotic.
And in some crazy cases it even happens that a pot calls a kettle black
Old 05-24-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Walked into grocery store yesterday (unmasked) as some poor terrified woman (masked) was
walking out, she dang near clipped her right shoulder on the exit door frame as she darted frantically
trying her best to clear the contagious leprosy I was carrying. Hmmm, me thinks the current fleet
of societies short buses are gonna have to be lengthened pronto.
Sorry I’m not like the terrified woman in your little story. Just a Guy looking after my family making smart decisions. Proceed any way you like. Its a free country.

Dodger.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:23 PM

I would like to have an antibody test.. I am 95% convinced that it went through our house in mid January long before the media circus. We were in close contact through the Christmas season with friends who had transited through China in December. I have personally not gone out unless I needed too and we kept our circle of family and friends who visited each other small for 6 weeks. I think the whole thing got over blown by the media.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:57 PM

I don’t know how to end covid stupidity.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I say we nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-24-2020, 07:04 PM

Wanna see what this “pandemic” is doing to society? Just have a look at the comments on these pages. People are at each other’s throats. People don’t smile anymore, socializing is almost non existent. Can there not be differing opinions anymore? I know it doesn’t seem like a free country right now, but news flash....it still is. Ask someone a question or say hi, and they run the other way. It really is a sad state of affairs. Take the actual sickness out of this equation, and have a good look around. Can we go on like this? Wanna run your immune system down? Load up on stress and anxiety. That’ll do it. Just my two cents. But think it over.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Wanna see what this “pandemic” is doing to society? Just have a look at the comments on these pages. People are at each other’s throats. People don’t smile anymore, socializing is almost non existent. Can there not be differing opinions anymore? I know it doesn’t seem like a free country right now, but news flash....it still is. Ask someone a question or say hi, and they run the other way. It really is a sad state of affairs. Take the actual sickness out of this equation, and have a good look around. Can we go on like this? Wanna run your immune system down? Load up on stress and anxiety. That’ll do it. Just my two cents. But think it over.
Loading up on stress and anxiety won't ruin your immune system. You have to wash your hands constantly, never touch your face unless sterilized and avoid all contact with other humans.

By year's end you won't be able to fight off a common cold or the simplest of bacteria.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
81% of covid related deaths in Canada occurred in nursing homes, with the elderly. Most had underlying health issues. If Sparkle Socks had just spent 1:100 of the $ he has absolutely wasted to make a welfare nation out of the able bodied, in order to buy votes....on protecting the truly vulnerable instead.

The rest of us could have just washed our hands, coughed into our elbows, and kept the lights on. But no.

It would all look so much different.
Sparky can’t count on the elderly vote. There’s the reason he has yet to address their needs. Basic income for all is his wet dream.

Imagine if western Canada was a region onto its own. Our Covid numbers would be the envy of the world.

Be concerned but don’t get caught up in the hype.

BW
Old 05-24-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
A good place to start would be with ending this thread !!
Old 05-24-2020, 08:07 PM

If we study countries with 30% unemployment, we will soon be drinking dirty creek water, no running water, sewer, stealing electricity, etc. The covid stupidity has to change. It is specifically unsustainable in it's current form. Humanity has to work & create, or we die. Period.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-24-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Sweden has 28% of Canada's population.

Deaths per million population = 384. Canada deaths per mill pop = 172.

Sweden's test rate one of the worst in Europe which is amazing considering their tax rates.
Swedens numbers look like Quebec with a lockdown.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Hey Bub, remember that you cannot make good assumptions on the data due to different methods of reporting and such. You can use it as an indicator but I do not think the data is very accurate.
What might your qualifications be, in evaluating the data sources, and analysing methods used?
Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Don't worry. It'll end itself. One way or another.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
What might your qualifications be, in evaluating the data sources, and analysing methods used?
Would you like me to post my resume on here? (spelled "analyzing" btw).
Old 05-24-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Sure!
Old 05-24-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Agree with this post..
The world didn't end with the Black Plague, or the Spanish flu, or the elections of Obama. all will be OK in the future!
Old 05-24-2020, 09:26 PM

I have a question. From what the media tells us shouldn't we run in fear from the ones wearing the masks. After all wearing a mask does not protect the person wearing it am I right. That is what Canada's top doctor rells us. All we need to do is wash our hands every 30 seconds and we will all be fine. Now before some one flies off the handle at me I am immune compromised. I should be afraid as any one but I think there are a lot scarier things out there than this virus.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:02 PM

But the question? what it going to cost our grand kids and great grand kids????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Don't worry. It'll end itself. One way or another.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
I have a question. From what the media tells us shouldn't we run in fear from the ones wearing the masks. After all wearing a mask does not protect the person wearing it am I right. That is what Canada's top doctor rells us. All we need to do is wash our hands every 30 seconds and we will all be fine. Now before some one flies off the handle at me I am immune compromised. I should be afraid as any one but I think there are a lot scarier things out there than this virus.
If you don't wear a mask you basically just murdered a small village. Thanks you murderer
Sarcasm by the way
Old 05-24-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...cid=spartandhp

maybe not in your neck of the woods but with 258 cases on Friday then this....now imagine if one of those wankers went on a road trip to your neck of the woods to visit someone....maybe play a little b-ball with the kids....gotta see the big picture not just a snap shot of your neighbourhood….stay healthy.
I'm actually kind of surprised that there hasn't been more of a federal focus on situations such as the one in this link above. Between the outbreaks in Kaybec and the GTA, if this virus is as humanity ending as some think that it is, shouldn't Trudeau be more worried about wiping out his largest voter base?

Nah, who am I kidding? Neither he nor Legault truly care, as it's mostly the old and frail who are succumbing to COVID-19. Fewer people cluttering up the "free" mismanaged Canadian health care system, or enjoying the fruits of their generous (yeah right) CPP and OAS, would have the politicians tickled pink. Why have people who are net recipients of social services such as healthcare and housing being looked after, vs net contributors to said services? Plus think of all of the estate tax that could be collected, as well as all of the inheritance money that could be pumped into the economy.

In 1960 people over 65 made up around 7% of the population, the projected number by 2024 is 20%, 2036 25% etc. People aged 85 and older make up the fastest growing age group in Canada (it grew 127% between 1993 and 2013). Senicide you say? How's that for a conspiracy theory? Kind of made me raise an eyebrow when reading some of the projections, and at the same time thinking about the deficits being ran by Canada and most other developed countries.

Here's a good read on the state of seniors healthcare from the Canadian Medical Assn. and the projected costs of looking after our aging population.

https://www.cma.ca/sites/default/fil...ember-2016.pdf
Old 05-24-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
But the question? what it going to cost our grand kids and great grand kids????????
Too soon to tell.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Hey Bub, remember that you cannot make good assumptions on the data due to different methods of reporting and such. You can use it as an indicator but I do not think the data is very accurate.
Hey Bergerboy,

What data are you referring to? I am assuming the early cases, not the testing? I do not see how the data on the early travel related cases from two provinces can be so inaccurate. And yes, I am using it as an indicator, which leads to assumptions, by definition. I do not see it as set in stone numbers. Like I said, however, I can't see this data being significantly different from reality. The numbers shown are for Quebec and Ontario; in Alberta they had traced only one case to China, as per the article and I do not have a reason to doubt it much. That would be out of hundreds for Alberta and over thousands for both Ontario and Quebec.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the airport in Wuhan was closed from January 23 until April 8. So I am not sure what Wuhan flights coming in daily you guys are talking about. As per this article at FlightGlobal (there are multiple other sources as well):

On 8 April , the Wuhan Tianhe International Airport reopened to a reduced schedule of domestic flights, as Chinese carriers gradually resumed flying to the epicentre of the outbreak.

It marks the first time scheduled flights are departing and arriving at the airport, which was shut down on 23 January, amid a city-wide lockdown, aimed at curbing the outbreak’s spread.

Were there flights coming out of Wuhan in between these dates? Yes, citizens of different countries were taken home by the specially arranged flights, including Canadians. However, to imply that there were thousands of people coming in and out as usual is very inaccurate, to say the least.

There were other airports in the most affected areas in China that were also closed for similar period of time. I am not going to post links, interested parties can use Google and verify it themselves.

I just don't get it when people make statements they believe to be true without any supporting data (or links even), statements that aren't exactly correct and often very wrong and then these same people are providing me with an advise on how we should proceed as a province, a country, a society. It just doesn't make any sense if they can't even get basic "facts" straight. I am not referring to you here in particular. I do not mind having a reasonable conversation supported by reasonable data and facts. I do not usually go for "garbage in, garbage out" approach, which this thread seems to be mostly about.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Please

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-25-2020, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I'm actually kind of surprised that there hasn't been more of a federal focus on situations such as the one in this link above. Between the outbreaks in Kaybec and the GTA, if this virus is as humanity ending as some think that it is, shouldn't Trudeau be more worried about wiping out his largest voter base?

Nah, who am I kidding? Neither he nor Legault truly care, as it's mostly the old and frail who are succumbing to COVID-19. Fewer people cluttering up the "free" mismanaged Canadian health care system, or enjoying the fruits of their generous (yeah right) CPP and OAS, would have the politicians tickled pink. Why have people who are net recipients of social services such as healthcare and housing being looked after, vs net contributors to said services? Plus think of all of the estate tax that could be collected, as well as all of the inheritance money that could be pumped into the economy.

In 1960 people over 65 made up around 7% of the population, the projected number by 2024 is 20%, 2036 25% etc. People aged 85 and older make up the fastest growing age group in Canada (it grew 127% between 1993 and 2013). Senicide you say? How's that for a conspiracy theory? Kind of made me raise an eyebrow when reading some of the projections, and at the same time thinking about the deficits being ran by Canada and most other developed countries.

Here's a good read on the state of seniors healthcare from the Canadian Medical Assn. and the projected costs of looking after our aging population.

https://www.cma.ca/sites/default/fil...ember-2016.pdf

Yup and you blink....that's you your looking at in the mirror....but I would have spent your portion of the pension plan and ate up all the medical funding too....nothing left for you and guess what the younger generation won't worry about your aging corps

Toss ya to the street....survival of the fittest

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-25-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
It is spelled Analyzing, if you are American. The Canadian spelling is analysing, but I don't think that the spelling of the word is the point you were trying to make.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Hey Bergerboy,

What data are you referring to? I am assuming the early cases, not the testing? I do not see how the data on the early travel related cases from two provinces can be so inaccurate. And yes, I am using it as an indicator, which leads to assumptions, by definition. I do not see it as set in stone numbers. Like I said, however, I can't see this data being significantly different from reality. The numbers shown are for Quebec and Ontario; in Alberta they had traced only one case to China, as per the article and I do not have a reason to doubt it much. That would be out of hundreds for Alberta and over thousands for both Ontario and Quebec.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the airport in Wuhan was closed from January 23 until April 8. So I am not sure what Wuhan flights coming in daily you guys are talking about. As per this article at FlightGlobal (there are multiple other sources as well):

On 8 April , the Wuhan Tianhe International Airport reopened to a reduced schedule of domestic flights, as Chinese carriers gradually resumed flying to the epicentre of the outbreak.

It marks the first time scheduled flights are departing and arriving at the airport, which was shut down on 23 January, amid a city-wide lockdown, aimed at curbing the outbreak’s spread.

Were there flights coming out of Wuhan in between these dates? Yes, citizens of different countries were taken home by the specially arranged flights, including Canadians. However, to imply that there were thousands of people coming in and out as usual is very inaccurate, to say the least.

There were other airports in the most affected areas in China that were also closed for similar period of time. I am not going to post links, interested parties can use Google and verify it themselves.

I just don't get it when people make statements they believe to be true without any supporting data (or links even), statements that aren't exactly correct and often very wrong and then these same people are providing me with an advise on how we should proceed as a province, a country, a society. It just doesn't make any sense if they can't even get basic "facts" straight. I am not referring to you here in particular. I do not mind having a reasonable conversation supported by reasonable data and facts. I do not usually go for "garbage in, garbage out" approach, which this thread seems to be mostly about.
Fair enough.

My point for the data being skewed was referring to the information received from other countries. I do agree with you that the data reported from Canada internally should be much better as the measurement should be somewhat standardized. Information coming from Brazil, China, Russia and even the USA I question. I posted somewhere earlier, that I work as a data analyst. From my perspective, when I look at the data presented to us on various government sites, Johns Hopkins University, WHO, and what have you, I do not have confidence in their data collection due to the lack of raw information regarding it. What we are getting is their processed information and we are supposed to take it as gospel. This doesn't often work well in real life. When I present a document to clients with some metrics or what have you, I always have another document prepared that outlines my data collection and calculation techniques as someone in the room may call me out. This tends to keep the shoe leather out of my mouth.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad66 View Post
It is spelled Analyzing, if you are American. The Canadian spelling is analysing, but I don't think that the spelling of the word is the point you were trying to make.
I think its British actually, I will look it up after I rotate my tyres.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:56 AM
Banned

I really enjoy the spell check police that post that something is spelled wrong. They add so much to a conversation !!!!
Old 05-25-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
Yup like hearing all the professional medical opinions on this topic . So many doctors and pandemic professionals on this sight it is uncanny. Looks like whatever was done in Canada is saving a lot of lives. Most US states have more deaths in a day then most of our provinces have cases. I am glad that I did not have to yet watch one of my family members go through having covid . For all the people need to die sometime. Think that maybe we didn’t control it and your child passed away. Let me hear you then. If you posted about it and I stated like u people just die so what. What would u think?
What Canada did is what pandemic experts wanted us to do flatten to curve which is allowing us to open up earlier rather than later and with a lot less lose of life than other places .

Most people think that our government are just pulling these rules out of their ass. About what 80% of the world is following the exact same formula.
Yup few not and some better and some worse .
Good thing a lot of people don’t listen to many of you for medical advice . If u want to play Russian roulette with you and your families life go ahead. Be the dumb f*clk families all out shopping in together. Mom, dad and 3 kids . I feel like stopping them and stating do you normally play Russian roulette with your kids. You really need them with you at homedepot buying plywood you dumb *****.
I would like to turn to the guys kids and say looks like daddy doesn’t mind if you die. Get daddy a pile of **** for Father’s Day .
Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
I really enjoy the spell check police that post that something is spelled wrong. They add so much to a conversation !!!!
After reviewing the information you have provided on this thread, I would suggest you refrain from criticizing other peoples contributions.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Loading up on stress and anxiety won't ruin your immune system. You have to wash your hands constantly, never touch your face unless sterilized and avoid all contact with other humans.

By year's end you won't be able to fight off a common cold or the simplest of bacteria.
Huh? Stress will absolutely compromise your immune system. Corticosteroid is the stress hormone and when you have too much of it your body is no longer as effective at fighting off antigens. That’s a known fact.

Unless you were being sarcastic??