Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How are you dealing with Covid-19?
Full Isolation 79 30.15%
Modified Isolation- Emphasis on hygiene 150 57.25%
No Isolation 25 9.54%
none apply 8 3.05%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2020, 11:20 AM
Banned

Still working 1/2 time. Supply optics and photo gear primarily to LE, Gov't and institutions...all done online and shipped out.
Not many retail sales...those that do mostly take advantage of our curbside service...so I get to work, go to my office and other than other staff all of whom are practicing social distancing I have no contact with anyone.
Once a week to the store.
Went to the range yesterday (SPFGA) with my two sons. No one else on the overflo range where we were, one fellow on the rimfire range and a couple on the pistol range...so felt entirely safe there.
Otherwise catching up on my reading and model building...right now am in the middle of a 1/35 Cougar AVGP for anyone into military modelling.

Last edited by bobtodrick; 03-26-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I do what the law states and mandates.....
aaannd ice fish too.....

wife's home so I try to catch her periodically

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-26-2020, 01:06 PM

I organized the AOF Poker Club for something fun for people to do. Seems to be working out ok.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-26-2020, 02:12 PM

I'm curious how many of the 50+ who voted "Full Isolation" are actually doing that? From what I've seen, heard, and read, I'm guessing very few.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm curious how many of the 50+ who voted "Full Isolation" are actually doing that? From what I've seen, heard, and read, I'm guessing very few.
Why not? We do. We go out once per week for groceries.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-26-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
From the drastic reduction in traffic volume, even at 'rush-hour' , I'd say that most are self-isolating. Many of the people who are 50+ might still fall into essential-services job categories, not all jobs can be accomplished from home offices. Frankly, if its an essential job, most of them likely can't be performed that way. I'm not that age quite category yet but its creeping up really quick.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Because of posts like yours.

As per the Feds, "Self-isolation is when you have been instructed to separate yourself from others, with the purpose of preventing the spread of the virus, including those within your home."

Simply doing less of what you've always done, going to the store once a week, hanging out with your family at home, etc., is not isolation.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then you seriously don’t comprehend what “full isolation” means.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Because of posts like yours.

As per the Feds, "Self-isolation is when you have been instructed to separate yourself from others, with the purpose of preventing the spread of the virus, including those within your home."

Simply doing less of what you've always done, going to the store once a week, hanging out with your family at home, etc., is not isolation.
Uh, definition of "full isolation" for this poll is in the first post. That's what I go by when I select my spot in the poll. Regardless of what other definitions are out there!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-26-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Then you seriously don’t comprehend what “full isolation” means.
Did YOU read the first post of this thread? Geez!

Old 03-26-2020, 02:54 PM

Wife, me, 2 young adult kids at home. She is now working from home, I commute 5 mins from my hood to to my parents home where we run our small business from. Son works and is still doing that. Daughter don't work as she was upgrading her school marks. We basically do groceries at Walmart or Safeway when needed and shoppers drug mart. We got food and TP to last a while. No one in our circle has been out of Canada or is in quarantine. All 4 of us and my parents are healthy and fine.

My work takes me on the road so gas up at the pump, drive thru if need food while on the road. Keep clean hands and avoid contact with common surfaces as much as possible. Keep our distance as recommended when out. Follow the gov required info as it comes out. Ride the wave while we keep on keeping on.

Need a following the guide lines option in your poll

Last edited by Sooner; 03-26-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Uh, definition of "full isolation" for this poll is in the first post. That's what I go by when I select my spot in the poll. Regardless of what other definitions are out there!
Fair point, but even that's hard to do. Are you really avoiding "all contact" with the "we" in post 35? I'm going to hazard a guess that you are not... Maybe I'm wrong.

Regardless, my point/question was, I suspect very, very few people are actually performing Full Isolation.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Fair point, but even that's hard to do. Are you really avoiding "all contact" with the "we" in your post?

Regardless, my point/question was, I suspect very, very few people are actually performing Full Isolation.
You looking for a merit badge or something? Whats your purpose in this thread? Calling everyone out, everyone is a liar to you?

I can't answer for anyone else, but I have not been within smelling distance of anyone for several weeks now. I have closed my business, am doing nothing but giving advice lately for free, trying to help others out if I am able.

3 people from this forum asked for help today, it has been the majority of my day other than stripping out the bedroom and shampooing the carpet.

Good grief give it a rest. Not everyone is stupid.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-26-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Fair point, but even that's hard to do. Are you really avoiding "all contact" with the "we" in post 35? I'm going to hazard a guess that you are not... Maybe I'm wrong.

Did somebody pee in your cereal? We, my husband and I, are at home one hundred percent apart from one shopping trip per week. There is nobody stopping by either. What else do you need to know?

Old 03-26-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You looking for a merit badge or something? Whats your purpose in this thread? Calling everyone out, everyone is a liar to you?

I can't answer for anyone else, but I have not been within smelling distance of anyone for several weeks now. I have closed my business, am doing nothing but giving advice lately for free, trying to help others out if I am able.

3 people from this forum asked for help today, it has been the majority of my day other than stripping out the bedroom and shampooing the carpet.

Good grief give it a rest. Not everyone is stupid.
Yes! Thank you!

Old 03-26-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I thought it was pretty straight forward, I've heard lots of people saying they are isolating, just curious how many people actually are.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

My work takes me on the road so gas up at the pump, drive thru if need food while on the road. Keep clean hands and avoid contact with common surfaces as much as possible. Keep our distance as recommended when out. Follow the gov required info as it comes out. Ride the wave while we keep on keeping on.
We've cut out all take out food and drive thru. No control over who is prepping and a high potential for contact with an asymptomatic young carrier with poor hygiene habits. Sure he's got gloves on...I saw them when he went to cover a cough! If virus can live on surfaces for days I suspect the virus could survive quite well for 15 -30min on some tepid food like a hamburger bun.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
We've cut out all take out food and drive thru. No control over who is prepping and a high potential for contact with an asymptomatic young carrier with poor hygiene habits. Sure he's got gloves on...I saw them when he went to cover a cough! If virus can live on surfaces for days I suspect the virus could survive quite well for 15 -30min on some tepid food like a hamburger bun.
Your correct and it is on my mind. Never know whats going on in the kitchen of the fast food places. Correction, take snacks
Old 03-26-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
My wife was telling me about a local individual who put gloves on before touching the debit terminal, grabbed her parcel, opened the store door, opened her car door, grabbed the steering wheel, brushed hair out of her face, then took the gloves off.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:22 PM

Default covid activity

Essential service worker.
Business is nuts, almost to the point where I could stand a two week lockdown
My condolences to those currently affected by this. Wouldnt wish it on anybody. Hope we all get through this fairly soon.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Your correct and it is on my mind. Never know whats going on in the kitchen of the fast food places. Correction, take snacks
Yeah I'd be inclined to have a cooler with store bought food if possible. For hunting and fishing we keep a small rubbermaid tote with some cooking utensils, a pot, nonstick fry pan and one of the small cheap single burner butane stoves. Great for warming soups and stews, grilled cheese sandwiches and making hot chocolate and coffee when hunting. Bring a 4l jug of water and a small container of soap/scrub for cleaning and you are set anytime anywhere. No reason not to eat like a hobo king from the back of your truck
Old 03-26-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
My wife was telling me about a local individual who put gloves on before touching the debit terminal, grabbed her parcel, opened the store door, opened her car door, grabbed the steering wheel, brushed hair out of her face, then took the gloves off.
LOL. I'm pretty much locked down now but if I have to go anywhere in public I keep Lysol wipes in the car and I put one in each pocket and habitually hold in my hands between touching things at the store. If I hold the wipes it keeps my from touching my face too.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:52 PM

Today I am dealing with the Wuhan with this rant,

Is it just my 7-11 ?

A new stupid thing has started where all the slurpee/soft drink cups are now behind the counter requiring
you to now ask for them. Didn't think much of it UNTIL the idiot clerk wearing her fancy plastic gloves that
handle the cash/poke the buttons on the register all day, reached into the cup with her contaminated'ness
reaching about 3" down inside the cup, pulled it out, and handed it to me to grab from the outside!
I said loudly, "How is this system any cleaner", the her look on her face from my question however wasn't
understood I concluded, as I must not of been speaking English.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
From the drastic reduction in traffic volume, even at 'rush-hour' , I'd say that most are self-isolating. Many of the people who are 50+ might still fall into essential-services job categories, not all jobs can be accomplished from home offices. Frankly, if its an essential job, most of them likely can't be performed that way. I'm not that age quite category yet but its creeping up really quick.
I'm 36, and have left the house twice since Tuesday. Once for testing, and once to pick up an elliptical for the pregnant wife. I am taking it very seriously. Zero person to person contact other than wife and nurses.Even then, because I've been sick, we stay on seperate couches watching tv, and separate rooms at night. Not a joke kids. This thing is nasty. I wish I didn't know what I know.... and that is pure truth.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 03-26-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:58 PM

I go from work to home, Home to work.. Shop is closed to walk ins.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 03-26-2020, 08:12 PM

My wife is giving me more than the usual snide looks n comments.

She has this sudden interests in my guns n where the gunsafe key is.....

I hope this means she’ll be my new hunting partner in the fall...
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-26-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Hunting all the way, what else could it be?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 PM

Life is most the same as normal. Work home sleep repeat. I’m a farmer. Couple less trips into Lethbridge last few weeks maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 08:33 PM

Not participating in the poll, but answering the question at hand.............................................. Boooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeee.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

I'm thinkin you better start sleeping with one eye open from now on....