Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
If you were a scientist what are you doing supervising welders and doing QC work?
It's amazing how many people start in one field and find work or better prospects in another.

Bloop knows what he's talking about. No matter if you're looking for welding advise or getting him to decipher a big worded science study for you. (Like I have done through PM on here. Wanted to know what it said but all the abbreviations and terms were as good as spanish to me) I trust what he saysas he's not one to make up facts.

In the end though, there are way to many veriables in this for ANYONE to know exactly how it will play out.

Today's song is brought to us by the band REM. Enjoy.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:54 PM

From the WHO statement yday.

The disease has spread rapidly to several countries including Japan, Singapore and the USA, and Tedros Ghebreyesus, Director-General of WHO, said in a press conference held in Geneva on Thursday that the outbreak poses a “very high risk” in China, as well as regionally and globally.

The head of the UN health agency, WHO (World Health Organization), declared on Thursday that the respiratory disease Novel Coronavirus, is not yet an official Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), but warned that is an emergency in China.

I wonder at what point they determine it to be a global emergency? What is the criteria.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:39 PM

When you think about China and spreading viruses, it's a pretty good breeding ground, especially if a virus originates there. High population density, questionable hygiene in most parts, terrible air quality and around 250 million people who are over 60 is certainly ripe for the spread of disease.

That being said, in China around 700 people die per day due to traffic accidents (around 60% being pedestrians/cyclists/motorcyclists), so around 260,000 year. I'll take my chances in the Tokyo airports and a few days hanging around in Singapore.

As far as the virus spreading, it's bound to with as many people traveling for Chinese New year.

"China’s railways expect 440 million trips, up 8% from last year, to take place during the 40-day official travel season known as Chunyun. (That translates as “Spring Festival Transportation” and typically begins 15 days before the start of Lunar New Year; this year it’s Jan. 10-Feb. 18.) And some 79 million passengers will take flights, up more than 8% from 2019. There will be more than 17,000 flights a day on average, an increase of about 13% from 2019. The new Daxing airport in south Beijing is expected to handle 1.9 million trips."

Last edited by HVA7mm; 01-24-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
When you think about China and spreading viruses, it's a pretty good breeding ground, especially if a virus originates there. High population density, questionable hygiene in most parts, terrible air quality and around 250 million people who are over 60 is certainly ripe for the spread of disease.

That being said, in China around 700 people die per day due to traffic accidents (around 60% being pedestrians/cyclists/motorcyclists), so around 260,000 year. I'll take my chances in the Tokyo airports and a few days hanging around in Singapore.
Might want to review the cancellation policy just in case. Things could very well be vastly different in a week. The next week or two is likely to cement some details on this. Last thing I'd want is to be stuck in a foreign land when a pandemic panic hits full force. I have an international trip planned for next month but I'm planning on erring on the side of caution and will cancel if things look at all sketchy. I'd rather forgo the vacation and hunkered down in my well stocked home than be stuck in a compromised living situation away from familiar resources in the middle of a sh!tstorm.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Might want to review the cancellation policy just in case. Things could very well be vastly different in a week. The next week or two is likely to cement some details on this. Last thing I'd want is to be stuck in a foreign land when a pandemic panic hits full force. I have an international trip planned for next month but I'm planning on erring on the side of caution and will cancel if things look at all sketchy. I'd rather forgo the vacation and hunkered down in my well stocked home than be stuck in a compromised living situation away from familiar resources in the middle of a sh!tstorm.
I know that I can survive for 4 hours in Tokyo, 4 days in Singapore is very likely and a couple of weeks in Australia should be doable as well. No fish markets, live animal markets or wallowing in the slums for me. Also no theme parks.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:07 PM

41 dead now in total.

One person, a 56-year old female was effectively healed and tested negative for the virus.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
41 dead now in total.

One person, a 56-year old female was effectively healed and tested negative for the virus.
Which pharma company made the vaccine and which elites own stock in said company?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Which pharma company made the vaccine and which elites own stock in said company?
Exactly!
Old 01-24-2020, 05:41 PM

There weren’t any details as to the medications used and treatment procedures. Just saying that she was the first confirmed cured patient previously diagnosed with this Coronavirus Infection. The article was referencing the Chinese media (Sina), so for all we know it is fake news. Who knows though.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post
Exactly!

With a handle like that, I think you'll be able to tell us shortly. God help anyone that gets in your way
Old 01-24-2020, 05:53 PM

^ lol

Chances are she had gotten better on her own, like most people will. It’s been about a month now since they had found the first case, no? Are all who had gotten sick still sick? Doubtful. If it really happened, they are likely calling it “cured” because she got better in a hospital in “supervised” setting.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
41 dead now in total.

Source? I found the updated death toll, I'm looking for confirmed cases update, but slow going on my phone now. Wow, this ain't no joke ya'll!
Old 01-24-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
With a handle like that, I think you'll be able to tell us shortly. God help anyone that gets in your way
"Get some rest HVA7mm....you look tired"
Old 01-24-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Source? I found the updated death toll, I'm looking for confirmed cases update, but slow going on my phone now. Wow, this ain't no joke ya'll!
Global Times: Real-time update on coronavirus outbreak

1,287 cases of Wuhan Coronavirus confirmed nationwide with 41 deaths as of Saturday: national health authority.

I think they are the fastest in terms of updates. That probably being because they are a Chinese media outlet from my understanding.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:18 PM

Serious question:
Why doesn't Canada ban all incoming and outgoing flights to China?
Old 01-24-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Serious question:
WHO hasn't even declared it a global emergency, would be my guess.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Global Times: Real-time update on coronavirus outbreak

1,287 cases of Wuhan Coronavirus confirmed nationwide with 41 deaths as of Saturday: national health authority.

I think they are the fastest in terms of updates. That probably being because they are a Chinese media outlet from my understanding.
Thanks fishnguy! I'm trying to follow the numbers and rates. This is the real deal. Even if they created a vaccine tomorrow, to produce it would be waaaay too late and in inadequate supply. Rate of transmission is alarming, with 2 week incubation, we are really only at round one of something exponential, just seeing the first wave....
Old 01-24-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I am not a fussy eater, but the food has to be clean ETC. Bat soup holly molly,fish heads baked, fried or boiled you name it I can eat it,but bat soup no darn way,I pass. I would puke if walked into a restaurant and seen some guy eating or licking a bat leg or face.

Every county knows bats carry bad bacteria, so why is it on the menu. That's about as exotic a meal as you can get.

Maybe I am wrong and other countries besides china enjoy this soup,i just never heard about it till Ken posted about this soup.no pun intended, but I guess I've been living in the dark.

JD
I wonder how clean the cows, chicken and pigs are that we eat as they are covered in feces in overcrowded conditions ..... I'm guessing the bat's cleaner.

The biggest issue, in reality is, how clean the processing and packaging is and how you handle it (rinse, sterilize, refrigerate, radiate) and ultimately cook it.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Serious question:
Because they need to have data driven facts to distinguish between media hype and real threat.

If we shut things down every time some headline screams Armageddon, we would never leave our homes.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Because they need to have data driven facts to distinguish between media hype and real threat.

If we shut things down every time some headline screams Armageddon, we would never leave our homes.
True. But the data is there. Scientific tests estimated that only 5.1% of actual values are being reported. So the truth could be 20x worse than what we are reading already. This is not chicken little screaming the sky is falling. It's slap you in the face real deal. They keep falling back on the excuse that it is localized, so they don't have to call it a world health issue. BS!!! 35million people on lockdown. It is obviously no longer localized, hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands, unknown carriers with no symptoms are mingling all over the earth now. Mark my words. I consider their lack of response negligent. This will be big.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-24-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:11 PM

I'm told the the only prescription for this fever is more cowbell.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Need more cowbell!
Old 01-24-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
That was funny
Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
True. But the data is there. Scientific tests estimated that only 5.1% of actual values are being reported. So the truth could be 20x worse than what we are reading already. This is not chicken little screaming the sky is falling. It's slap you in the face real deal. They keep falling back on the excuse that it is localized, so they don't have to call it a world health issue. BS!!! 35million people on lockdown. It is obviously no longer localized, hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands, unknown carriers with no symptoms are mingling all over the earth now. Mark my words. I consider their lack of response negligent. This will be big.
Easy there, you need to calm down ......

I was responding to a question as to why the Canada had not shut down their borders and quarantined the country due to this virus.

Until Canada, or any other intelligent and pragmatic country, has independent data driven and validated information - they will not be building a bubble and shutting down the borders ...........that's fact .......... and you can scream all you want ......... that's the way it will go down ......... trust me on this one.

I made NO STATEMENT WHATSOEVER indicating I thought this was hype or whether it was Armageddon.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:

I was responding to a question as to why the Canada had not shut down their borders and quarantined the country due to this virus.

Until Canada, or any other intelligent and pragmatic country, has independent data driven and validated information - they will not be building a bubble and shutting down the borders ...........that's fact .......... and you can scream all you want ......... that's the way it will go down ......... trust me on this one.

I made NO STATEMENT WHATSOEVER indicating I thought this was hype or whether it was Armageddon.
Unfortunately if its as contagious as is being suggested then that response will be far too late. BBC is reporting up to 25% of cases end up being severe. Take that as you may but it has my attention. No choice but to wait and see while the planes keep flooding in.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Haha, not sure where that came from...? It had nothing to do with you. I was calm, not sure what I need to calm down on? I'm passionate and very interested in all that is unfolding. I was just stating there is enough info out there to make the call. It's too late to contain it now anyways. It's out there. Make the call! Best case scenario now is a vaccine, but it will take a long long time, far too late. At R=3.6-4.0, it will be massive exposure in no time
Old 01-24-2020, 08:37 PM

So my question is I have a package due to arrive from China on the 31 what should I do handle it with gloves ,hope the trip over killed it ? I will say this one has my tinfoil hat going more than SARS did
Old 01-24-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
So my question is I have a package due to arrive from China on the 31 what should I do handle it with gloves ,hope the trip over killed it ? I will say this one has my tinfoil hat going more than SARS did
How badly do you want it/what is it worth/what is it.?
Your tinfoil game is strong. I think it is on pace to make SARS a fleck in the pan. Everything is indicating exponential advance, mortality rate is going up, # infected going up. Not a good sign for a virus only in its infancy, it has lots.of potential to get stronger . Still small sample size though. Personally, I would stick it in a snowbank with gloves if possible, and wait a week or two, and see how scary it may be then....

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-24-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:49 PM
Banned

I just spent 600$ on dry non perishable goods at Costco asked the pharmacy if they had masks and buddy said I'm the 50th person to ask today. Got full fentanyl clean up suits with cartridge masks and lots of ammo. I'm ready to hunker down for 3 months. The show hot zone summarizes what will happen. Suggest you all watch it.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
How badly do you want it/what is it worth/what is it.?
Funny thing it wicks for my oil lamps how bad I need it might depend on how this thing plays out lol