Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM

Default Tile flooring - heated or not?

So the missus and I are planning to have tile flooring installed on the main floor of our house. Foyer,kitchen,dining room, and bathroom. Around 400sq feet if I recall. With a couple Labs around the house, the flooring takes a beating so we want it to last.

The hang up right now is trying to decide if we want to have any heat installed under it.

For those of you that have tile...what are your thoughts? Worth the extra cost to have it heated? Or is it not worth it?

The way I look at it, It’s a commitment either way... but if we install the tile, and don’t have it heated, we are stuck with that. Maybe wishing we did. We could always install the heating pads underneath, and not use it, but that’s potentially a waste of money.

Could do a limited section maybe around the kitchen where most use would occur anyway. But would that just be a silly idea? The basement is finished, would the heat from below radiate upward to keep the tile warm anyway? Just brainstorming right now. But hoping to have the project done by end of summer.

Appreciate any input from folks on here with experience.

Also if there’s any contractors in the Calgary area you might want to recommend I’m all ears. Pms are fine also.

Thanks,
Newf.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:55 AM

Default tile

Buy a very high quality tile if you want good wear and non breakage. Your heavy floor base is very important. Lastly on heating I just ran heating ducts from furnace under bathroom and kitchen, floors nice and warm. Poor mans heated floor, no power required.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:05 AM

I installed a boiler when I built my home and in the en-suite tiled floor I installed radiant water(hydronic) heating thinking the heated floor would be nice. Turns out it only heats the room up uncomfortably hot! If I did it again I recommend flexi-therm or equivalent electric heating so it just heats the tiles and not the whole room.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk View Post
I installed a boiler when I built my home and in the en-suite tiled floor I installed radiant water(hydronic) heating thinking the heated floor would be nice. Turns out it only heats the room up uncomfortably hot! If I did it again I recommend flexi-therm or equivalent electric heating so it just heats the tiles and not the whole room.
No zone temp control for the en-suite ?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:40 AM

If your basement is finished and heated, im not sure it would benefit heating your tiles. I am assuming your house isnt drafty etc

I tiled my entrance a couple months ago, including the walk in coat closet. Area about 22x19. My basement is also finished and I have zero issues with a cold floor.

Agreed that good tile is necessary, but im thinking if my entrance and closet are not cold, your kitchen and foyer etc would be just fine without floor heating.....

Just.my.lousy 2 cents...lol
Old 05-23-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
So the missus and I are planning to have tile flooring installed on the main floor of our house. Foyer,kitchen,dining room, and bathroom. Around 400sq feet if I recall. With a couple Labs around the house, the flooring takes a beating so we want it to last.

The hang up right now is trying to decide if we want to have any heat installed under it.

For those of you that have tile...what are your thoughts? Worth the extra cost to have it heated? Or is it not worth it?

The way I look at it, It’s a commitment either way... but if we install the tile, and don’t have it heated, we are stuck with that. Maybe wishing we did. We could always install the heating pads underneath, and not use it, but that’s potentially a waste of money.

Could do a limited section maybe around the kitchen where most use would occur anyway. But would that just be a silly idea? The basement is finished, would the heat from below radiate upward to keep the tile warm anyway? Just brainstorming right now. But hoping to have the project done by end of summer.

Appreciate any input from folks on here with experience.

Also if there’s any contractors in the Calgary area you might want to recommend I’m all ears. Pms are fine also.

Thanks,
Newf.
I have in floor heating in my basement also on main floor which is also tiled my in law suite is tiled and has in floor heating as well all have different thermostats EVERYONE LOVES IT I would never go without
Old 05-23-2020, 11:59 AM

We have it in our master bathroom, electrical mesh type, very nice, but quite frankly a luxury item that my wife enjoys more than I do.

I could take it or leave it really.

Regarding having it in a main living area, the only thought that comes to mind is the dogs will get up off their beds and lay on the hardwood or tile to cool off sometimes - so, for me, that's a consideration too.

Might be good in a basement though.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:01 PM

I put the electric in floor heating just under the kitchen table where peoples feet will be or maybe some kids want to play.
By the time you put the wires, thinset and the tile you raise the floor about an inch.
I was then left with the problem of getting the rest of the kitchen floor and diningroom level with the infloor heating bit.
I added 3/4 plywood all around to bring all floors level and will still have to add 1/4 inch flooring.
Then started to worry about too much weight on the floor joists. Had a thread on that problem about a year ago and most guys felt the joists could take the weight or I could double them up where the weight is greatest.
I would not do it again to much work.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
No zone temp control for the en-suite ?
Oh yes there is a separate zone t-stat. I always keep it down to 15(lowest setting). The issue I have with it is the tiles themselves were supposed to be warm but the whole room ends up getting heated lol.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:59 AM

We have it in two bathrooms and rarely ever use it.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 AM

The house we have now has it in both main floor bathrooms, and the main floor is forced air heated. The basement has in floor heating so the downstairs bathroom effectively has heated tile floor too. The upstairs ones have a control that turns the heat on automatically on a set schedule, and it has manual over ride. We tried it for a week, turned them both off and haven't used it again in 6 years, and this is in a room where one is often barefoot. Anywhere you usually wear socks you will never likely use it.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:01 AM

If I was to do it the master bath would be the only one to get it. A little something extra if the mrs is getting out of the tub or shower and doesn’t want a chilly tile to step on. When it comes down to it though it’s your needs/wants.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:59 PM

One word:

Slippers.

Osky
Old 05-25-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attilathecanuk View Post
Oh yes there is a separate zone t-stat. I always keep it down to 15(lowest setting). The issue I have with it is the tiles themselves were supposed to be warm but the whole room ends up getting heated lol.
Turn on the air conditioning.

If I had money to burn, I'd run both year round at the same time (floor heat and air conditioning)
Old 05-25-2020, 06:05 PM

Tile is cold, in the winter it is very cold. I would not run heat to the tile in the summer, but in the winter? I wish I had heat under my tile.

Thomas Sowell