Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2020, 08:48 PM

Default fly rod

Good evening I'm looking for some info on purchasing my first Fly Rod. I'm starting this spring and don't really know where to begin and with the current state of the province and country I figure I may be ordering on line instead of instore, budget is $200 if that's to cheap let me know and I can work on the boss thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:18 PM

A good size for AB would be a 5 or 6 weight. This would cover most situations for trout in rivers and lakes. TFO make a nice flyrod at a decent price, and I believe they have a lifetime warranty. I would suggest getting something with a lifetime warranty as over the years it will most likely come in handy.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 PM

Thumbs up 1st rod

Pop into one of the local shops a base echo kit is around 2 hundred and they will set it up for you along with a bit of free knowledge and the chance to see the rod before you buy.... depending on where you live there's OFF, IronBow , FishTales to name a few..... buy local you won't regret it
Old 03-26-2020, 12:01 AM

You can't go wrong with either TFO or the Echo Base package as suggested above. The Echo Base package is right around the $200 - 220 point. TFO warranty replacement is handled in Calgary. At least a couple of the fly shops in Calgary keep replacement tips for the Echo Base rod. My primary stream and lake rods are TFO rods and my backup rod is an Echo Base. The Echo Base has a great action for beginner. I use a 5 wt for most of my stream and river fishing.
Ken
Old 03-26-2020, 09:36 AM

Second what the others have said about the TFO’s and Echo Bases. Good beginner set-ups that do not break the bank and not a huge loss if you decide that fly fishing is not your bag.

There is a TON of info online for beginners to learn about basics and advice to fine tune your fishing set-up to be applicable to where you fish.
Also take the time to learn about fish behaviour and general location, so you don’t waste your time attempting to fish in areas that are bare or inactive (learned that the hard way).

Also, something important that I learned in my early days is to focus on appreciating the opportunity of spending time doing the activity, instead of the results (catching fish). With beginner poor casting and noob errors, my beginner days were frustrating. I had to shift my attitude and expectations a lot. I now have the attitude that any time on the water is a success to be appreciated, regardless of fish numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 12:46 PM

Jason makes excellent points. Considering initial cost, don't hesitate to buy a used TFO or Echo Base. You don't have to show a receipt to get the warranty replacement pieces. I've been fishing for 15 years and 1/2 of my rods (two newest) are an Echo and a TFO from Kijiji.

Jason's suggestion about attitude is absolutely key. With trout fishing, the possibility of getting skunked is always just around the corner!

Ken
Old 03-26-2020, 01:09 PM

get a 4 pc rod 4/5/6 weight

look for weight forward floating line (WFF)

9ft 4x (5lb) tapered leader is good for trout dry fly fishing

ickyflyworks has good dry fly grab pack would get you started

cutthroat streams are great for learning on
Old 03-26-2020, 02:25 PM
Banned

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=370570
Old 03-26-2020, 10:05 PM

TFO are junk. Consider the Orvis Clearwater or the Fenwick Aetos, might find them on sale at Fishin Hole or Cabelas.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraltd View Post
Good evening I'm looking for some info on purchasing my first Fly Rod. I'm starting this spring and don't really know where to begin and with the current state of the province and country I figure I may be ordering on line instead of instore, budget is $200 if that's to cheap let me know and I can work on the boss thanks in advance.
A few thoughts;
1) If you are not sure that you are going to stick with it...then don't spend a lot of money for gear that will end up sitting in the garage
2) If you are sure....you need to tell us where you normally fish and what you normally fish for...that will help determine what weight rod is best suited for your needs
3) If you are limited on money, don't spend too much on a reel for now
4) If you are limited on money, don't spend too much on a flyline...some of these cost half of what that entry level rod costs...yeah...insane!
5) If you are limited on money...don't forget the other items you may need...waders, boots, vest, flies, consumables, etc.
6) If you do get "hooked"...beware, it will be a never ending pit...more rods, more reels...
7) The entry level rods mentioned are a good place to start...but once you get into it, you will soon find the appeal of the Orvis, Sage, Winstons, Hardy's and the like too hard to resist.

Having said all that, a few comments on the replies so far
1) I agree with Mr. Flyguy...quality of some of the entry level stuff is pretty crappy.
2) I'm not sure what the concern about warranty is? What the heck do you guys do with your tackle...or is it just crappy quality to begin with???
I have a stable of over a dozen high end rods and have NEVER had an issue with any of them. Two of my Orvis rods are 40 years old now...one of which I still fish with regularly....
Same with reels...all original House of Hardys...still going strong.

If you buy quality, it will last. If you don't...you will be buying twice...the choice is yours.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 03-28-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
2) I'm not sure what the concern about warranty is? What the heck do you guys do with your tackle...or is it just crappy quality to begin with???
Lol must be nice to have lived a life with absolutely no accidents.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=Jason.seaward;4136104]Lol must be nice to have lived a life with absolutely no accidents.

Exactly! My friend's $400 Hardy handle a car door exactly the same way as my $150 TFO did. **** happens, especially when you're learning.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:16 AM

What annoyed me about the one (and only) TFO rod I have is that 2 inches of the top broke off when i was only taking it out of the bag! Didn't bother to send it back so gathers dust as a backup.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
What annoyed me about the one (and only) TFO rod I have is that 2 inches of the top broke off when i was only taking it out of the bag! Didn't bother to send it back so gathers dust as a backup.
You are not the only one. Had my TFO 7 wt. Brand new, never used. Get it setup with sinking line. Head out to a great brookie lake. Go to pull the line out and it snaps in half on the top piece. It is not impossible that I caused it but I remember how the rod got to the lake and no issues, tossed nothing on it. That and I've broken 3 others of the same type of TFO rod. After paying the shipping for the 3rd time, mine now gather dust as well.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I have had a few accidents with rods that did not result in a break until late. The accident might cause a slight crack, that leads to a break later. I had this happen to my favourite Sage (Z-Axis). The warranty repair is now expensive, based on being an old rod. Luckily, based on my rod building experience, I fixed the issue myself and the rod is now solid.
Happens to the best of rods and best of fly fishers. No one is immune to accidents and potential rod issues.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you want the storage space, I’ll take it off your hands.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
A few thoughts;
1) If you are not sure that you are going to stick with it...then don't spend a lot of money for gear that will end up sitting in the garage
2) If you are sure....you need to tell us where you normally fish and what you normally fish for...that will help determine what weight rod is best suited for your needs
3) If you are limited on money, don't spend too much on a reel for now
4) If you are limited on money, don't spend too much on a flyline...some of these cost half of what that entry level rod costs...yeah...insane!
5) If you are limited on money...don't forget the other items you may need...waders, boots, vest, flies, consumables, etc.
6) If you do get "hooked"...beware, it will be a never ending pit...more rods, more reels...
7) The entry level rods mentioned are a good place to start...but once you get into it, you will soon find the appeal of the Orvis, Sage, Winstons, Hardy's and the like too hard to resist.

Having said all that, a few comments on the replies so far
1) I agree with Mr. Flyguy...quality of some of the entry level stuff is pretty crappy.
I have a stable of over a dozen high end rods and have NEVER had an issue with any of them. Two of my Orvis rods are 40 years old now...one of which I still fish with regularly....
Same with reels...all original House of Hardys...still going strong.

If you buy quality, it will last. If you don't...you will be buying twice...the choice is yours.

Good luck with your purchase!
This is great advice. Best I’ve read on this thread.

Go to Cabelas and get a combo fly set up. They are on sale quite often. By yourself a dozen dry flies a box a vest some Ginko a pair of cheap waders and go have fun. If you shop right you can get all of that for 200.00-225.00. Go have fun. It’ll get expensive if you get addicted like the rest of us.

BW
Old 04-01-2020, 05:32 PM

Great to get fly fishing! It is a great pastime.
Getting started can be the tough part buying all you need/want.

I started with the cheap set ups and they worked fine. It was all I could afford but it didn't keep me from the streams.

I now have 5 sages and 1 loop. I only paid full price for one and bought the other sages when the next year models were coming out and found what I wanted 30-40% off. Broke a few over the years and was glad to have warranty.

My 2 boys fish and saved their coins and bought sages ( 350-450 rods) as we fish a lot and they liked using dads rods but wanted their own!!!!

Buy what you can and enjoy!!!
Old 04-01-2020, 11:02 PM

Most of my fly fishing equipment had been used, which I got at a great price over the years. I was glad to do it that way, because it was a lot of trial and error to figure what I liked, based on fishing conditions and casting style. I had only bought 2 rods new, the rest were all used deals. No regrets. A lot of money saved.
Next step after rod and reels, is figuring out what type of fly fishing storage you want while fishing. I had tried every kind and it was a endless pursuit (sling packs, backpacks, hip packs). I think I am now done.