Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2024, 06:52 PM

Default September 15

I hit the river for a couple hours this afternoon, its up and muddy. I hooked a fish on my first cast, just a light bite and I hooked it, thought for sure it was a big walleye the way it fought, got it almost to shore and it ditches the hook and gets away before I can see what it was. not long after I got another light bite and hooked this fish too. I thought for sure a big walleye again but it decided to run a lot harder than a walleye. Got it up close and I was happy to see a sturgeon. a little 33.5 incher but still another one closer to my goal. May still be time for 5 more this season, I will just keep trying when I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240915_133906a.jpg (49.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 20240915_133925a.jpg (58.3 KB, 161 views)
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-15-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I hit the river for a couple hours this afternoon, its up and muddy. I hooked a fish on my first cast, just a light bite and I hooked it, thought for sure it was a big walleye the way it fought, got it almost to shore and it ditches the hook and gets away before I can see what it was. not long after I got another light bite and hooked this fish too. I thought for sure a big walleye again but it decided to run a lot harder than a walleye. Got it up close and I was happy to see a sturgeon. a little 33.5 incher but still another one closer to my goal. May still be time for 5 more this season, I will just keep trying when I can.
Mmmm chocolate milk! I have no doubt you will achieve your goal this season Wayne! Time well spent! Tight lines my friend.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I gotta give this short fishing for these dino’s a go one day or two

Not sure if you have in the past but what’s your preferred set up?

Might as well asked someone with first hand knowledge

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-16-2024, 08:18 AM

Default rig

nothing fancy, Ive been fishing with this rig for 60 years now. just a snelled hook off the mainline, then I tie light line to the end of the main with a weight, so its easy to break off the weight if you get snagged, or the fish runs through cover which they will do . been using my big nuts lately, I know lead is going to be outlawed one of these days I also find weeds usually hang up on the snell connection so the fish can still get to your bait and remove the weeds for you the threads on the nuts will cut your line so I just use a huge paperclip to attach it, works like a charm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240916_075116.jpg (62.8 KB, 112 views)
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-16-2024, 09:31 PM

There's some time in the season yet Wayne. Thanks for the pics. Good luck on the quest!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 09-17-2024, 06:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
nothing fancy, Ive been fishing with this rig for 60 years now. just a snelled hook off the mainline, then I tie light line to the end of the main with a weight, so its easy to break off the weight if you get snagged, or the fish runs through cover which they will do . been using my big nuts lately, I know lead is going to be outlawed one of these days I also find weeds usually hang up on the snell connection so the fish can still get to your bait and remove the weeds for you the threads on the nuts will cut your line so I just use a huge paperclip to attach it, works like a charm
Thank you for the info!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2024, 09:52 AM

Love the paper clip trick. I used to use nuts to when I was healthy enough to fish the river. Tied them to piece of heavy string then the line.. Nuts = free weights. Lotsa snags in the NSR to help you lose some. Can’t fish the river around here anymore. Banks to steep if I get down there can’t get back out.
Old 09-17-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Love the paper clip trick. I used to use nuts to when I was healthy enough to fish the river. Tied them to piece of heavy string then the line.. Nuts = free weights. Lotsa snags in the NSR to help you lose some. Can’t fish the river around here anymore. Banks to steep if I get down there can’t get back out.
I should add to above I got all the nuts free. The ones off semis work great so had lots around my shop from my trucks and truck tire store would always give me bucket full of old rusty ones. Lotsa places to get them. The heavy string was not meant to break as it was tied to lighter line than main line. Wished I’d known of the paper clip trick. No bulk in kit like wire that takes up space that’s why I used string. Paper clips is perfect.
Old 09-17-2024, 06:25 PM

I like the fact that the paper clips are sturdy but you can bend them easily with no tools
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 09-18-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
nothing fancy, Ive been fishing with this rig for 60 years now.
So it is basically modified Paternoster rig. I love it when it is weedy or very soft bottom so your line with hook stays above it.