Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned

Loading for .338 in my old reloading bench which was in the basement. I stopped for a while (supper etc.) and went back at it a few hours later. Load about 15 .338 shells and say to myself "I dont remember this being a compressed charge". Shake a case loaded earlier and there is definately room in it. WTH I say to myself. Get looking and it seems 2 little kids who know better than to touch dads bench bumped the scale up a good 10 grains.

So as punishment I took the kids aged (3 and 5) to the range and made them shoot the hot loads. Just kiddin

Could of been a heck of a boom had I not caught it.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM

I know a fellow that got a load off the net. The guy he got it from was smarter than the book, and resulted in a Rubber mallet to open the bolt.
If you get a load from someone on the net, have the person Scan the page from the manual he uses so you can see if it is a legitimate load data, or something that could be a Typing error, or a product of his imagination on what is safe. And of course start with a lower than Max load and work up for your gun.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:00 PM

I have only made one mistake, that is shooting someone else's reloads......never again.
A nice little Savage 99 got wrecked in the process.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 PM

I was young, dumb, and unfortunately there was no money involved

Loaded some Barnes XLC's with IMR 4831. Loaded too many cases and decided not to waste the effort. Put some Sierras on top of it. Duh.
Shooting over the chrony I was getting some wicked velocity and it was a 3 shot Half inch group!
Didn't even think, but checked the cases afterward. All of them had serious primer and face issues and two of three where a hair from splitting.
Moral to the story is if you want a 130gr Sierra to do 3250fps out of a WCF, use 58gr of IMR 4831, and expect to burn your face eventually.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
I was young, dumb, and unfortunately there was no money involved

Didn't even think, but checked the cases afterward. All of them had serious primer and face issues and two of three where a hair from splitting.
Moral to the story is if you want a 130gr Sierra to do 3250fps out of a WCF, use 58gr of IMR 4831, and expect to burn your face eventually.
Awesome post.

That right there: "didn't even think....expect to burn your face eventually." says it all
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
I have only made one mistake, that is shooting someone else's reloads......never again.
A nice little Savage 99 got wrecked in the process.
I let a buddy load for me once. Never again. We used to load together and shared equipment. The ones he loaded for my 270 had his 30-06 powder and charge in it. Locked up the bolt tight and blew the primer. I had to beat the brass off the boltface.
I had a miss load of 10gr one time for a few rounds. About 4-6 460's ended up being a bit warm. They kicked a bit more thats for sure. I would have pulled them but with that powder in the 460wby if I could get it in the case then it was ok to shoot.
A few other dumb thing that lead me to be very careful while reloading. I fel lucky I never blew anything up or damaged anything but my pride. Well maybe a few brass were wrecked.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Goes to show what works in one rifle won't work in another.....thats the load I use in my .270WIN with 130gr Sierra Gamekings and I don't have pressure issues....0.010 off the lands. Little less velocity than 3250....more like 3100-3150 but deadly accurate.

Great thread guys!

LC
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM

i personaly have had some squib loaded 38 special off of a progresive reloader and about 5 243 win 95 gr nos bt loaded to 90 grn bt charges not over charged but couldnt beleive i did it had the box of bullets rigth in front of the manual when my uncle was 17 he bought a brand new doumolin 7mm rem mag from arts ammo shop in red deer and a lee loader with all components but no manual started loading till you couldnt hear powder shacking in the cases any more after a box of reloads bolt was stuck shut and realized the chamber was bulged art cut him a good deal on a new barrel because he felt bad he didnt sell him a manual
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM

I'm glad this is a sticky. Lots to learn for beginners and a thing or two for the whiskered crowd, too.

I've heard of guys years ago who loaded a brass by filling it right up and then levelling off the top with a popsicle stick, but never knew if that was for real or not.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 PM

One more thing. If your primer pocket expands where you can't seat the new primer, pitch the case immediately. This (what I am about to write) didn't happen to me but a friend's buddy who was loading for his WBY seated a primer that was in a loose pocket. Before he closed the bolt, the round went off, the bolt came at him, ripping his hand and his elbow. No need to full around with a $2 case.

CH
Old 01-09-2012, 10:23 PM

Just the other day I was working on a load and changed bullets, I thought I had the same .010 off my lands. Got to the range, chambered one and it cammed in tight, I figured better check it, the bullet stuck in the barrel and powder came out my action. Lesson learned, sacrafice an empty brass as a master case to try at home before you load 20 pieces.

Sometimes I have a shakey hand, I once bumped my beam scale while removing the pan and moved my 1 grain weight over a notch. Always double check your settings while you are working.

I have an uneven bench surface, if I slide my scale around I loose my zero, by as much as 3 tenths. Something to keep in mind for those of us who dont have lazer straight and level workspace. Now when in use the scale goes left of the press 8 inches and centre on the bench for consistency from session to session, and to prevent any mishaps I secure it with painters tape and check zero every 20 or so loads.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 AM

I would add to that, when using a hand priming unit such as the Lee or Hornady or RCBS and a few other brands; If you feel any extra resistance, or it feels weird--STOP and check it, it can mean it's cocked, or there are two in the hole (that one is usually a hard stop), or it's going in sideways (feels mushy, and gritty). Empty the tray on the tool. Take the case out, with shellholder if neccesary, and soak it in oil overnite and then you can remove it from the case.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 AM

I was reloading for my brothers 270 wsm, I finished a box of twenty for him. On final inspection one shell looked wierd, it had a bit of a bulge on the neck, upon further investigation i realized that the bullet was to big (nosler accubonds) it was a .308, the box had 3 .308 cal bullets in it, I contacted nosler by email and have not heard back from them as of yet
Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
I was reloading for my brothers 270 wsm, I finished a box of twenty for him. On final inspection one shell looked wierd, it had a bit of a bulge on the neck, upon further investigation i realized that the bullet was to big (nosler accubonds) it was a .308, the box had 3 .308 cal bullets in it, I contacted nosler by email and have not heard back from them as of yet
WOW.....thats not very good quality control....thanks for the heads up!

LC
Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM

I'm hesitant to post about my recent reloading screw up adter seeing how often people are attacked on this forum but here it goes.
I'm on my way to the gunsmith this afternoon with the result of a reloading mistake. I use a Lee 1000 progressive, last time I was rollin some .357 up the primer feed got jammed up, a common problem with these machines, and I must have double charged a case. Needless to say my GP100 didn't take kindly to my error and she went BOOM big time! The case was blown back in the chamber jamming the cylinder shut and when I tapped it open the perforated primer fell right out on the floor, the case was stuck and had to be tapped out. The revolver shows no obvious signs of damage other that the cylinder doesn't turn freely now.
I never really saw the need to part with the cash for a dillon progressive but I'm reconsidering that now. Don't get me wrong it's not that I blame my press, I know full well that any machine is only as good as the fool pulling the handle but from what I hear the blue machines work a lot better and are less prone to malfunction.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeneil View Post
I'm hesitant to post about my recent reloading screw up adter seeing how often people are attacked on this forum but here it goes.
Thanks for sharing.....hopefully cooler heads will prevail on this thread and people will share their "oopsy's" without too much attacking going on. I think this thread has a lot of good info and I am glad it was made a sticky.

LC
Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I'm on my way to the gunsmith this afternoon with the result of a reloading mistake. I use a Lee 1000 progressive, last time I was rollin some .357 up the primer feed got jammed up, a common problem with these machines, and I must have double charged a case. Needless to say my GP100 didn't take kindly to my error and she went BOOM big time! The case was blown back in the chamber jamming the cylinder shut and when I tapped it open the perforated primer fell right out on the floor, the case was stuck and had to be tapped out. The revolver shows no obvious signs of damage other that the cylinder doesn't turn freely now.
I never really saw the need to part with the cash for a dillon progressive but I'm reconsidering that now. Don't get me wrong it's not that I blame my press, I know full well that any machine is only as good as the fool pulling the handle but from what I hear the blue machines work a lot better and are less prone to malfunction.
I have a 1000 set up for 45ACP, and have to keep an eye on the primer feed as well, but I also have a 550B and there are little quirks with those presses as well.
Cat
Old 01-10-2012, 11:47 AM

I'm still new to the game, but I do have about a thousand successful reloads under my belt, all safely fired. I have had three collapsed necks from forgetting the lube, and one close call with a primer that I caught in time.

So far I think my worst has been loading two squib cases; forgot to swivel the powder reservoir so it would flow into the thrower. I caught on by the third case, luckily; I happened to glance inside just before seating the bullet and noticed the oops. Pulled the two empties and refilled, no harm done.

It's been my habit now to look inside the case everytime before seating the bullet.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Default Pure luck....

I loaded a squib .270WIN cartridge once. For some reason I got into the habit of shakin my cases while out hunting before loading them.....one case in particular I didn't hear any powder inside.....so I tucked it into my pocket and took it home. Pulled the bullet and sure enough NO POWDER!......just a stroke of luck I managed to catch that.

LC
Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Use caution if you work up loads with one type of brass and then you switch brass brands. IE: max load in Winchester brass but you want to try it in Federal brass.

I did this once without working up again and the hot but safe load that I had with Winchester brass blew the primer on Federal brass.

I don't like Federal brass in general. Weigh it against other makes and it'll surprise you how much heavier it is. And it's soft too.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:

I use a hornady locknload progressive. I don't load for pistols but still use there powder cop on the station between the thrower and the seating die it is basily a rod with a colored oring on it . It gives you a quick reference on powder charge.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I had a pound out of a hot batch of 4320 that was recalled, it got my attention on a load that was 10% under max. Had to knock the bolt open. Glad I was just starting on that load and running the string of ladder charges.
Well now, that is very interesting. Had a bunch of 140gr 6.5x55 loaded with 37.0gr of 4320 (powder lot was old, but properly stored and in good condition) that were insanely hot!!

I was reloading 140 Nosler custom competition bullets (loaded over RL22) and they were tumbling out of an old '96 Mauser. I had a bunch of the 4320 loads my uncle had loaded years before, so thought I would run a couple through the rifle to make sure it was the bullets. I fired four rounds with the 4th sticking the bolt. In theory the load should have been pretty mellow, likely around 2350 fps; but the recoil was unreal. I run 130s out of a similar weight 270 at 3050 fps, and the recoil from the 6.5 was noticeably worse.

In conversation with my uncle, he stated he had only ever shot one deer with the load, and the results were horrific. "Bloodshot from ear to a-hole" was his words.

I pulled all the bullets and weighed all the charges, all 37.0 gr. In hindsight, I wish I had kept one round to run through the chronograph, but frankly I would be too nervous to pull the trigger again.

I reloaded the same bullets in the same cases with 4831 and they performed reliably.

We have scratched our head about this for a while now, and your post may provide an answer. Do you still have the lot numbers? Do you remember what year it was?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
Perfect example of why reloading components should NOT be out on the floor in your local big-box store. Do you really think this happened at the Nosler factory?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Perfect example of why reloading components should NOT be out on the floor in your local big-box store. Do you really think this happened at the Nosler factory?
Every box of Noslers, Barnes etc. I have ever bought has been sealed by the manufacturer. Why would you ever buy a box that wasn't sealed? It doesn't matter what side of a counter its on.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

Double load of powder double load of shot no wad = boom. Still have some parts from that one
Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABBIT View Post
Every box of Noslers, Barnes etc. I have ever bought has been sealed by the manufacturer. Why would you ever buy a box that wasn't sealed? It doesn't matter what side of a counter its on.
Which is why some stores insist on keeping reloading components out of reach. For some reason people ALWAYS want to open a box of bullets and look at them (have no idea why).

Most stores will keep the number of open boxes to a minimum, only sellin the opened box when it is the last one.

People are always wanting to look at cartridges as well, often comparing them and then putting them back in the wrong box.

The same guys who complain stuff isn't available in the ailes are the same guys who will throw a hissy fit if there is an oddball bullet in their box.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Which is why some stores insist on keeping reloading components out of reach. For some reason people ALWAYS want to open a box of bullets and look at them (have no idea why).
Most stores will keep the number of open boxes to a minimum, only sellin the opened box when it is the last one.

People are always wanting to look at cartridges as well, often comparing them and then putting them back in the wrong box.

The same guys who complain stuff isn't available in the ailes are the same guys who will throw a hissy fit if there is an oddball bullet in their box.
I totally agree with you.....there is no need for that. Some people just need to see and touch everything! (like my Wife.....walking through a store she touches everything!) Sometimes it is the old "careful what you wish for" when it comes to ammo and components on the floor.

I was at BassPro looking for some 90gr 6mm Nosler BT.....out of 4 boxes 3 of them had been opened before....so I only bought 1 when I would have bought 4.

LC
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned

^^^ agreed! I also had purchased 2 "sealed" boxes of Sierra 150gr, 7mm SMK's, I found a .257" bullet in one of the boxes. I knew something wasn't right when I seated it. I contacted Phil at Sierra by email and politely explained the situation merely to give them a heads-up. He asked for a number on the box and for my mailing address. It was followed by a "gift" in the mail, two boxes of my favourite 7mm bullets. It's easy enough to check the components are sealed before buying them. Care and attention should occur even before you sit at the reloading bench, but understand that discrepancies can also happen on a production packaging line.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
WOW.....thats not very good quality control....thanks for the heads up!

LC
Dang, I guess the accubond are all white tipped then unlike the BT's?
good eye one that one..chain
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
Dang, I guess the accubond are all white tipped then unlike the BT's?
good eye one that one..chain
Another good point...the Nosler BT are all different tip colours based on the caliber of the bullet (.243 are purple, .270 yellow, .308 green, etc.). BUT the accubonds are all white tipped no matter what the caliber.

LC