Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2019, 04:35 PM

Default Lifter Noise - Added Seafoam. Noise gone. Am I good ??

2006 GMC Sierra 3500, 6.0 gas. 340k. Regular synthetic oil changes.

The other day I started the truck and there was quite a bit of lifter noise - steady tick and increased with rpm. Drove it for a few hours as is and it eventually went away. Good.

Couple days later it's back. Doesn't go away this time. Had a full can of seafoam in the truck so dumped all of it into the oil. Within 5 minutes the lifter ticking was completely gone - purred like a kitten.

Drove 500km and dropped the oil and filter and put some fresh shell Rotella and a Napa gold filter.

Still no lifter tick after a couple hundred km driving.

Should I be worried ?? Guess will see if it comes back but is it a sign of things to come ?? Hate to get rid of it as it's been such a good truck but don't want to be dealing with engine issues shortly here either.

Thoughts ??
Old 08-23-2019, 07:13 PM

Seafoam didn’t magically “heal” your worn engine.

It maybe have cleaned some funk out of the top end of your valve train that might be getting limited oil supply due to age and wear resulting in lessor oil pressure, hence your lifter clatter.

I’m sure it didn’t hurt anything but nothing got “better”, maybe just a little degreased.

I hope I’m wrong though and she runs for another 340K for yeah.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:54 PM

Atf
Old 08-23-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Seafoam didn’t magically “heal” your worn engine.

It maybe have cleaned some funk out of the top end of your valve train that might be getting limited oil supply due to age and wear resulting in lessor oil pressure, hence your lifter clatter.

I’m sure it didn’t hurt anything but nothing got “better”, maybe just a little degreased.

I hope I’m wrong though and she runs for another 340K for yeah.
My buddy had a noisy lifter and used seafoam, He had to get out of his vehicle to make sure it was still running it was so quiet. that was over 100,000 km ago in his truck. I use seafoam in almost everything, an ol timer I pulled wrenches with swore by it and now I see why.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
My buddy had a noisy lifter and used seafoam, He had to get out of his vehicle to make sure it was still running it was so quiet. that was over 100,000 km ago in his truck. I use seafoam in almost everything, an ol timer I pulled wrenches with swore by it and now I see why.
Lmao,,,rebuild in a can
Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Lmao,,,rebuild in a can
Im a mechanic by trade, its good stuff. Use it in my lawnmowers, vehicles etc every service.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Im a mechanic by trade, its good stuff. Use it in my lawnmowers, vehicles etc every service.
I'm a red seal mechanic and Sea foam is great stuff, such as clearing sludge that causes lifter tick.
I run it through all my small engines every season and add it to my daily drivers gas tank once a year.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:37 AM

Exhaust manifold. Broken bolt.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:17 AM

Seafoam will drill out, tap and rethread that broken bolt for you every time.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:43 AM

It is amazing how many mechanical problems are fixed by getting rid of carbon, gunk, varnish and other crud that builds up in engines. Clean engines run better and last longer. Seafoam excels at cleaning gunk out of motors. I have never run it through my oil but I use it regularly in the premium gas on all my small motors and at least a couple of times a year in the gas tank of all my vehicles.

If the clicking is gone I wouldn't worry about it till it comes back, it is very possible that crud build up was causing an issue and the Seafoam cleared the crud out.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:02 AM

Hope for your sake that you get many more miles out of it after your seafoam trick. On a side note to self don’t buy a 2006 GMC Sierra 3500 off the AO buy and Sell if one shows up on there in the near future. Lol
Old 08-24-2019, 07:30 AM

Do you guys follow the Sea Foam recipe mixture to a "T" or when greater cleaning is needed, add more Sea Foam – the more you add to fuel, the better it cleans?

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:09 AM

Band aid. Unless it’s only a sludge or crud problem. If it’s something more though, It’s like people that go for cortisone shots instead of fixing the issue.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:17 AM
Banned

Everyday an old vehicle runs is a day you have more money to blow on guns.

I do like sea foam in the gas tank but have never tried it in the crankcase.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Seafoam will drill out, tap and rethread that broken bolt for you every time.
Damn, I wish that was true
Old 08-24-2019, 08:55 PM

The 6.0 litres have a problem with build up as that drainage ports are not big enough. You need to keep it clean and Seafoam does the trick.

The old 6.2 diesels had a similar issue with a sticky lifter and a bottle of GM Lubricity with every oil change did the trick.

There is a youtube video of a guy who took a Ford ranger and gave it the whole seafoam factory recommendation and it ran like new.

I have had a number of intakes off different makes lately and they all suffer from deposits and what not. Seafoam can look after this.

The exhaust tick does not go away with out repair. Buy a back hand drill bit and an angle drill and go easy.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:08 PM

Use good quality oil and regular oil changes and sludge buildup is not a problem. Seafoam simply cleans out the neglect it’s not a engine rebuild in a can.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I'm a red seal mechanic and Sea foam is great stuff, such as clearing sludge that causes lifter tick.
I run it through all my small engines every season and add it to my daily drivers gas tank once a year.
Seafoam? I put that **** in everything!

I'm not a mechanic, but I change my own tires
Old 08-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Those 6.0L engines are known for a manifold exhaust leak. Might be the culprit as others have said
Old 08-27-2019, 03:35 PM

Is this the same sea foam that I use in my fuel as a stabilizer?.....or is it a different "sea foam" product?
Old 08-27-2019, 04:35 PM

Same product.

I found a seafoam product that you put thru the intake to clean it up. Comes as an aerosol type can and a fancy curved straw. Auto value had it.

If you use that type make sure you have plenty of ventilation otherwise you will see zombies and have a funny taste in your mouth for awhile. Do it outside!!!!!

Like I said prior I have seen many dirty intakes and injectors lately where a can of this would work well.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post
Same product.

I found a seafoam product that you put thru the intake to clean it up. Comes as an aerosol type can and a fancy curved straw. Auto value had it.

If you use that type make sure you have plenty of ventilation otherwise you will see zombies and have a funny taste in your mouth for awhile. Do it outside!!!!!

Like I said prior I have seen many dirty intakes and injectors lately where a can of this would work well.
Hmmmm sounds like a good time!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phil A View Post
Same product.

DO NOT USE IN TURBO ENGINES lol

Ford ecoboosts were coming in with shot turbos, ford finally realized it was seafoam causing the turbos to go lol