Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 07:54 PM
Banned

That is so cool to read TC. She must be over the moon. It's really cool to see our kids out exploring and succeeding.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:20 PM

Well good on her for moving forward and nearing the goals she has. She must be very good at what she does because that is a huge market down there and for the young lady to get into the american market, and a big market, she must be good. Nice to see. I would " melt " in the summer there but a lot love the hot weather. Been there before and lots to do.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:13 PM

I've always wondered why TV personalities seem to be a very transient bunch ? Change of stations and locations seem to the rule, rather than the exception.

Grizz
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 AM

I suspect most are moving up to bigger markets, which generally means bigger $. Some probably move for other intangibles (lifestyle, weather, family)....But I suspect it's mostly career advancement. And when you are changing stations, in some cases your contract has a non compete clause so you can't move sideways to another local station, hence a move to another market. That was the case with my daughter.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I've always wondered why TV personalities seem to be a very transient bunch ? Change of stations and locations seem to the rule, rather than the exception.

Grizz
I think it’s simple economics and experience. They have to start somewhere and those will be small-market newsrooms that will have a correspondingly small budget for salaries. Once people have some experience they move to better paying gigs in bigger markets. It’s not quite like apprenticing in a trade where you might move up within a company or move between the numerous companies where you reside. Calgary for instance has how many TV anchors exactly? Maybe 8-10 per station to split 4 each for the morning and evening shifts? Multiply by 3 or 4 stations and you have only 40 positions for that trade in a city of 1.4 million. Compare that to how many electricians are in town, there are probably 120 new ones getting minted annually.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 PM

Congrats to your daughter, TC! You & the Mama as well! Course you'll have to hit the Scottsdale Gun Club for some full auto action.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 PM

That's a really good idea, never occurred to me but heck ya!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-22-2019, 10:55 PM

Congrats to your daughter and her new career move ,you and your wife have plenty to be proud of.WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.

JD