Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 PM

Default Anyone skin coyotes?

Anyone know of any skinners around Wetaskiwin/Camrose area that I could call to do coyotes for me.

PM me
Thanks in Advance
Old 12-31-2015, 08:41 AM
AO Sponsor

I just got a call from a guy in the Stettler area... $20
Pm me if you still want his number.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I just got a call from a guy in the Stettler area... $20
Pm me if you still want his number.
That's funny. The same guy has been calling me. Lol
Old 12-31-2015, 06:06 PM

20 for the skinning? Or is that flesh and boarded?
Old 01-01-2016, 08:16 AM
AO Sponsor

$20 for the job. Heck if all I had to do for $20 was skin, I'd do it too. That'd be minimum $240 per hour, basketball sized holes and everything.

Coy, you neighbor is starting up hot and heavy, maybe I'll have to send him to this guy? Seems to me you were booked with your custom skinning? He must have been reading your posts, he's doing real good! He even wants to take lessons.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:26 AM

Pretty much any colony around has a couple guys that will process your dogs...word of caution you get what you pay for...seen some real crappy Jobs not saying they all do but don't expect to much...and in the bounty areas they keep the carcasses and double up their money or take carcasses from county to county...potential to make 50$ a head
Old 01-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
$20 for the job. Heck if all I had to do for $20 was skin, I'd do it too. That'd be minimum $240 per hour, basketball sized holes and everything.

Coy, you neighbor is starting up hot and heavy, maybe I'll have to send him to this guy? Seems to me you were booked with your custom skinning? He must have been reading your posts, he's doing real good! He even wants to take lessons.
My neighbor. Haaaa. He wanted me to line up some coyotes for him for 30$ . By the way I have nothing to do with this guy nor do I know him or trust him. Not sure how he got my number but the way he was talking and texting he don't sound to intelligent. So my advice to you marty is don't pm anyone his number. I havn't seen his work and the way it sounds he's just looking for an easy buck
Old 01-01-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakridge View Post
Anyone know of any skinners around Wetaskiwin/Camrose area that I could call to do coyotes for me.

PM me
Thanks in Advance
If you still looking for a skinner. I can setup you up with a kid that does a bunch for some AO members here and they are more then happy. He's 15 mins south of camrose
Old 01-01-2016, 12:45 PM
AO Sponsor

What does the kid charge? With your recommendation, I suspect he does good work. Yup, I have no idea what this custom skinner neighbor buddy of yours in question does for a job. A guy is always taking a big chance when he farms out his coyote put up. I tried a guy once, his 14 year old kid ended up skinning them. It was impressive, the power of the kid's hands cause he tore the feces out of my 29 extra pale beauties that I caught that day. The deal was skin and flesh , I stretch. I spent 5.5 hours sewing (and I am one of the best and fastest coyote sewers in the west!) the next guy would have spent 24 hours sewing. I was so mad!!!

Do mark all your fur if you're going to get somebody else to put up your fur. Plastic security tags are invaluable. It's often said "...the custom skinner always has the best coyotes...". I see it often when people bring me their fur that they got custom put up on. I remember once a houndsman from Strathmore coming in with his coyotes to the depot, he brought all III's and IV's, he said he caught them all in December and I explained to him that his custom skinner most likely has traded all his good coyotes for junk... Couldn't even call it junk. Fur market term is a word synonymous with the word "Feces" .

Don't get me wrong, there are some very reputable and honest people putting up fur too!

But Coy,I was talking a different neighbor starting up, wanting lessons... Like a new trapper in your backyard. Do you want to skin his coyotes for him, or are you booked? It sounds like he wants to go big time snaring. Maybe with a little training he'll start knocking back 2-300 coyotes. He could give you lots of business.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
What does the kid charge? With your recommendation, I suspect he does good work. Yup, I have no idea what this custom skinner neighbor buddy of yours in question does for a job. A guy is always taking a big chance when he farms out his coyote put up. I tried a guy once, his 14 year old kid ended up skinning them. It was impressive, the power of the kid's hands cause he tore the feces out of my 29 extra pale beauties that I caught that day. The deal was skin and flesh , I stretch. I spent 5.5 hours sewing (and I am one of the best and fastest coyote sewers in the west!) the next guy would have spent 24 hours sewing. I was so mad!!!

Do mark all your fur if you're going to get somebody else to put up your fur. Plastic security tags are invaluable. It's often said "...the custom skinner always has the best coyotes...". I see it often when people bring me their fur that they got custom put up on. I remember once a houndsman from Strathmore coming in with his coyotes to the depot, he brought all III's and IV's, he said he caught them all in December and I explained to him that his custom skinner most likely has traded all his good coyotes for junk... Couldn't even call it junk. Fur market term is a word synonymous with the word "Feces" .

Don't get me wrong, there are some very reputable and honest people putting up fur too!

But Coy,I was talking a different neighbor starting up, wanting lessons... Like a new trapper in your backyard. Do you want to skin his coyotes for him, or are you booked? It sounds like he wants to go big time snaring. Maybe with a little training he'll start knocking back 2-300 coyotes. He could give you lots of business.
Nope I'm booked for coyotes. I'm still doing the same customers coyotes for the last 10 years. I took on a guy from brooks two years ago. There's a lot of people that don't trust custom skinners and there's a lot of trappers that don't trust nafa depot managers that are trappers and that buy coyotes for themselves. I have a way with my customers. We go thru their coyotes. Write down what they have. Nice coyote. Super coyote. Weak coyote and how many each. They have there own place on a coyote they punch a hole. If they can't handle that or complain I send them packing. When the coyotes are done I help them grade their coyotes. We all avg with in a dollar from one another at Nafa so it seems to work for them. I can help him out but as far as knocking back a few hundred coyotes. Those few hundred have been knocked down already and working on a new record. But I'll help him out. I hope it's not who I think it is.

Last edited by coy coyote; 01-01-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
If you still looking for a skinner. I can setup you up with a kid that does a bunch for some AO members here and they are more then happy. He's 15 mins south of camrose
Coy don't overbook that kid please lol
I still have a few more for him to do
Old 01-01-2016, 09:58 PM

I don't think it's the same guy. This guy is around Donalda. . I had this guy do some coyotes for me when I busted my back a year old and I was impressed. Not a single hair out of place and those coyotes were ready for the big time.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Coy, I hope you didn't feel attacked, my comments about custom skinners were not directed towards you personally.

So after you have "graded" these coyotes for your customers, what happens when your grades don't align with auction grades? Does the depot or company or something else have to take the heat/become the scapegoat?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the help. I found a guy at the colony close to town and if the work isn't good I'm going to go with coy's recommended kid.

Thanks again
Old 01-02-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Coy, I hope you didn't feel attacked, my comments about custom skinners were not directed towards you personally.

So after you have "graded" these coyotes for your customers, what happens when your grades don't align with auction grades? Does the depot or company or something else have to take the heat/become the scapegoat?
Nope. I don't feel attacked
Your just being honest. We have be been lucky so far. But you do hear stories. The same stories you probably heard about skinners. I have never experienced it myself. I go thru my coyotes the day before and I know exactly what to expect. Been that way for years. I know the difference between a 20$50$70$90$ etc coyote.

Last edited by coy coyote; 01-02-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:15 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Nope. I don't feel attacked
I go thru my coyotes the day before and I know exactly what to expect. Been that way for years. I know the difference between a 20$50$70$90$ etc coyote.
I can't say that I know exactly what to expect because the grading can change from sale to sale, example; shortage of fur - easy grade, over abundance of fur, hard grade, etc. Look at last years first sale. 25% of the good coyotes graded as damaged. Did you expect that? I take it your customers just grinned and bore it, as mine did... what choice did we have?