Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: What would you prefer to hunt with?
Quad 111 52.61%
Side by side 67 31.75%
Argo 8x8 27 12.80%
Argo 6x6 6 2.84%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick284 View Post
no option for, none?

Cuz i'd choose none.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
I thought about that as well and that's a reason why I don't comment here as much or why I don't post any pictures anymore. It's really disappointing with all the knowledge on this forum and rather giving positive input someone needs to provide negativity. What's even more disappointing is that most of these negative comments are coming from older gentleman. Thanks for those who have posted and I really appreciate your time. Lets not forget that this forum is also frequented by a much younger crowd and we still need to be positive mentors for the younger crowd.

Next time i will do a better poll and also add Camel to it.
Don't let people stop ya, heck you won't make it out the front door nowadays...just keep it up, chin up and walk like your in a mission...
I chose a quad, smaller quad, Honda 350 size, can get in and out of some tight areas, haul a moose out if needed, if stuck in a bad area I can man handle it, easy to load and unload, great on gas, reliable, won't break your bank account.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-23-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
I always welcome wisdom! What I don't want to hear is negativity. Thanks for your input and wisdom.
I haven't read anything negative in this post. What are you talking about?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
I haven't read anything negative in this post. What are you talking about?
Re-read posts 2-13. Why bother to derail a guy's thread when he's looking for honest feedback before he lays out upwards of $10k? Pretty simple to see what he is referring to.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Re-read posts 2-13. Why bother to derail a guy's thread when he's looking for honest feedback before he lays out upwards of $10k? Pretty simple to see what he is referring to.
Nothing negative. Just some other suggestions. Take it for what it is. Sorry if your offended. Water off a ducks back
Old 05-23-2017, 07:07 AM

I'm not offended. It's not my thread. I just understand why the OP would be frustrated though.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 10:10 AM

While I prefer walking, we have and use 2 different sized quads and a Commander side by side (my bush Porsche as I call it .

If I had to have only one, I would say go for a 400cc quad.
Light weight, gets the job done, and cost effective.
Lighter weight tends to leave the least amount of wear on the ground (obviously depends on your tires...but you get my meaning) which keeps in line with not leaving a scar behind in the wilderness.
Even on our own land I like to keep things as unmarked as possible.

A quad also allows you to jump off faster (compared to a sideXside) when I'm riding our fields or bush trails and I need to shoot at something.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:12 AM

Sorry....compared to jumping out of my Commander.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM

My choice is a quad. Love the maneuverability, fits in the short box truck easy peasy and pulls a moose out no problem at all.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 PM

A horse.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
I don't like the options provided. #1 pick on foot #2 pick horseback #3 pick helicopter #4 cozy warm pickup. Last on my list is quad Side by side with a heater would be nice
X2
Old 05-24-2017, 05:49 AM

Default options

I "HUNT" on foot.
I get back into my hunting area with a side by side. Having used a few different quads over the years, I really appreciate the new side by sides, mostly for their payload capacity (hauling wood back to camp, and hopefully a few critters too!), but also for the option of having another person along for company.
Maybe not a conventional asset, but I have been stuck on a few mountaintops waiting out the 12 noon curfew in some pretty ugly weather. I keep a tarp in the storage box that I can spread out over the roll cage and remain nice and dry. Not an option with the quads. There are cab packages available, and even heater options for the side by sides if a guy wanted to have even more comfort in late season weather.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 PM

For me and my budged I will only comment on a Side by Side vs. a small quad. I have only experienced these two options within our hunting group over the last many years.

My vote is: 400 cc class 2wd/4wd quad, with a driveshaft, High/Low range. Winch on front, smallish sturdy chain with clamps 15-20 feet long for wrap and drag/pull behind. 400 cc class quads are: Economical, easier to manhandle (lighter) if necessary. Less width, toughness and agility of a smaller machine makes a difference when you are cutting through bush, which saves time. Fewer hang-ups. Fall hunting has more dark hours than daylight ones, quicker bushwacking and exit during daylight hours are important. You don't want to be stuck in the dark. 400 class has plenty of power for hunting or general bush /farm chores... We pulled 1 cow and 1 bull moose out with my old 400 cc fully manual Kawasaki last fall- pulled both right up the ramp on to the trailer as well. Neither were dressed out yet as we were minutes from a tractor, so plenty heavy!
A small quad takes up less storage space in the garage or beside the house when it is not being used; that is important. Where are you going to store this when you are not using it (more hours in storage than being used likely)? One can almost fit 2 small quads in the space needed by a side by side. A smaller framed machine drives right into a pickup bed or smaller trailer, because it is lighter, which also saves money. Easy to push or nudge/lift or move about without the keys when you just need to sneak something around it...happens all the time in the garage.

The Side by Side that hunts with us will not go in to the thick bush,because it is often ugly in there and can be very destructive on a wider/longer/nicer machine. Which means more repairs if you are not careful. Side by sides are awesome for many things, more comfortable,sociable,and have their place. They are also expensive and need more space to move and store in and out of the bush. Heaters,wipers,doors,mirrors,comforts galore! Very nice for sitting in and riding on nicer trails or open land. That is where they are in their element. The wider and longer wheelbase makes for a smoother ride. Definitely D-Luxe and nice to cruise in.Warmer and drier.

Side by Sides have a disadvantage in the rough, tight bush or ugly stuff due to their physical size . All things being equal, the total area under and around the machine. Smaller machines are exposed to less bush than larger machines. The wider and longer the wheelbase, the more exposure to whatever falls or most often rises up between the wheels, longer driveshafts and steering/framework,axles,support arms,etc.

Nice to have all the options these days, really depends on the conditions you are exposing the machine to, your planned storage, capacity for transport, and the difference in budget associated with these choices.

Have fun...They make your boots last longer than walking
Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 PM

A perch/quarterhorse cross would be just fine. Broke to ride,pack and drag firewood. Quick to walk along and easy to catch...
I could go on....
Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 PM

Horses are part of the poll but then neither are jet boats which is why I chose the 8 wheeled Argo option.
Cat
Old 05-27-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerdave View Post
For me and my budged I will only comment on a Side by Side vs. a small quad. I have only experienced these two options within our hunting group over the last many years.

My vote is: 400 cc class 2wd/4wd quad, with a driveshaft, High/Low range. Winch on front, smallish sturdy chain with clamps 15-20 feet long for wrap and drag/pull behind. 400 cc class quads are: Economical, easier to manhandle (lighter) if necessary. Less width, toughness and agility of a smaller machine makes a difference when you are cutting through bush, which saves time. Fewer hang-ups. Fall hunting has more dark hours than daylight ones, quicker bushwacking and exit during daylight hours are important. You don't want to be stuck in the dark. 400 class has plenty of power for hunting or general bush /farm chores... We pulled 1 cow and 1 bull moose out with my old 400 cc fully manual Kawasaki last fall- pulled both right up the ramp on to the trailer as well. Neither were dressed out yet as we were minutes from a tractor, so plenty heavy!
A small quad takes up less storage space in the garage or beside the house when it is not being used; that is important. Where are you going to store this when you are not using it (more hours in storage than being used likely)? One can almost fit 2 small quads in the space needed by a side by side. A smaller framed machine drives right into a pickup bed or smaller trailer, because it is lighter, which also saves money. Easy to push or nudge/lift or move about without the keys when you just need to sneak something around it...happens all the time in the garage.

The Side by Side that hunts with us will not go in to the thick bush,because it is often ugly in there and can be very destructive on a wider/longer/nicer machine. Which means more repairs if you are not careful. Side by sides are awesome for many things, more comfortable,sociable,and have their place. They are also expensive and need more space to move and store in and out of the bush. Heaters,wipers,doors,mirrors,comforts galore! Very nice for sitting in and riding on nicer trails or open land. That is where they are in their element. The wider and longer wheelbase makes for a smoother ride. Definitely D-Luxe and nice to cruise in.Warmer and drier.

Side by Sides have a disadvantage in the rough, tight bush or ugly stuff due to their physical size . All things being equal, the total area under and around the machine. Smaller machines are exposed to less bush than larger machines. The wider and longer the wheelbase, the more exposure to whatever falls or most often rises up between the wheels, longer driveshafts and steering/framework,axles,support arms,etc.

Nice to have all the options these days, really depends on the conditions you are exposing the machine to, your planned storage, capacity for transport, and the difference in budget associated with these choices.

Have fun...They make your boots last longer than walking
Thank you, you said a lot of things that made a lot of sense. Went to look at the argos and they sure are nice. A 6x6 scout at $17,000, quite expensive. Looked at the honda pioneer 700-4 and i have to admit it definitely one of my favorites. Looked at some quads and got my picks.
1) pioneer 700-4
2) can-am 800 xmr or suzuki kingquad 750axi
Tough decisions
Old 05-27-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Horses are part of the poll but then neither are jet boats which is why I chose the 8 wheeled Argo option.
Cat
Cat,
Careful with the horses! I've heard they get mistaken for moose
Old 05-27-2017, 09:41 AM

I picked quad out of the options because that's what I own. I bow hunt so if I'm not sitting somewhere then I am walking. It's really hard to sneak up on prey using any of the above. Maybe for Retrieval purposes?

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 05-27-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I picked quad out of the options because that's what I own. I bow hunt so if I'm not sitting somewhere then I am walking. It's really hard to sneak up on prey using any of the above. Maybe for Retrieval purposes?
that's what I will be using it for...something to take me deeper into the woods and then walk further. Retrieval is of main priority as sometimes I go by myself if my friends are working
Old 05-27-2017, 11:38 AM

I think I would choose a 6*6 Argo just because they are mor agile then the 8s have enough power to carry a moose out of a swamp and well they are also an awsome thing for going hunting in areas were no road hunter and Quaders can get to and there alte lots of awsome hunting spots that only air or Argo can get u their

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
No option for, none?

Cuz I'd choose none.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Quad

Quad
Old 05-30-2017, 02:20 PM

luv the 6x6 argo but maintenance is brutal and always fixing something, the versatility is tough to beat Kennedy, spent allot of time fishing in middle of no where with it lol..........

so having said that, I pick quad, versatility, great for acreage vs just hunting needs, I don't need to tow it, can throw in back of the pick up and still tow my hunting trailer or just have truck. or birding season put on trailer when I cant get out in field, unload and hook that trailer to back of quad to drive my gear in. I had a side by side for a year, full hard top and doors, have nothing bad to say about it except cab was a bit noisy, but out of the elements. If I could get it in the back of the pick up would probably have kept it, easier to bring others along or carry stuff. twice the price so end of day, what best meets your needs and price point
Old 05-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Banned

I say quad because there's nothing fun about packing a moose out of the woods from a mile or more back in there. Last fall I packed 3/4 of a bull moose out on my shoulders, the other 3 guys packed 1/4 out between them because my back was the only one not shot..... Yet. A side by side or Argo are nice, but they are a lot wider than a quad and require more brushing to fit through the woods, a quad is the best for the job imo.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:00 PM

Argo 8x8 for me - need the room in case I have the kids along. Yeah, it would be slow, but I'm not out to set any land speed records.

Would use for packing camp in/out and retrieving game.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:37 AM

Post Help with Care taking our baby, the 6x6 Argo

Hi,

This is Matthew. As the weekend approaches, I had this idea of taking my beloved and myself to Kettle River on our Honda CR-V 2002. Any good suggestions you can put with about the environment there. It's nearly a 16 hrs trip from my place. Am planning to stay for a Day and Night and return by late Sunday. She’s got work and I have an appointment scheduled for Monday.
And I would want to secure our baby, Argo somewhere safe and secure. What option would you suggest for it? The last day my friend suggested a parking compound location which is nearby. But couldn’t find a proper report or testimony on their site other than few lines of description. Heard there is few living south of the border. What do you guys suggest? Anyplace I can secure our baby.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:52 AM

Nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation, however...
Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 AM

Default Fails

My choice of those provided is 8x8 Argo, they've come a long way!
Everything will let you down in the bush, if you can't roll with the punches and adapt and overcome, a person will be very unhappy!
And anyone who's wrangled, guided, or just had horses long enough, will find themselves walking alone in the mountains cursing a horse at some point.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Whoops

8 wheel, not an 8x8, although that would be something!
Old 06-03-2017, 11:02 AM

I will go with the quad but in the 6x6 option from Polaris or brp them thing unstoppable and can haul a moose out whole