Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 08:06 PM

Question Glenmore Reservoir Spots?

Hello, I am new to Calgary and I have heard about the Glenmore Reservoir having Pike and Trout in it. I primarily want to fish from the south shore.

Does anyone have any good spots along the south shore of the Glenmore Reservoir.

Any tips would be gladly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:34 PM

It may be more useful to introduce yourself first and tell everyone a little about yourself and what type of species you like to target, the kind of fishing you like to do, or what type of water you are used to fishing.

Otherwise, check out google maps and find some spots to park your vehicle and explore. I'm sure you'll find some areas to wet your line.

finally, the earth swung around
Old 05-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCanada View Post
It may be more useful to introduce yourself first and tell everyone a little about yourself and what type of species you like to target, the kind of fishing you like to do, or what type of water you are used to fishing.
wow
Old 05-04-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Otherwise, check out google maps and find some spots to park your vehicle and explore. I'm sure you'll find some areas to wet your line.

I am primarily going for pike but I wouldnt mind going for trout. But my main focus for tomorrow will be Pike. Im probably going to fish the South Shore and look for weedy areas.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 AM

Lots of good spots-but I am sure they change yearly. Toss out some spinners, buzz bombs and spoons. Rapalas, jigs work too and if your bored smelt and worms have been known to pull them in.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
Lots of good spots-but I am sure they change yearly. Toss out some spinners, buzz bombs and spoons. Rapalas, jigs work too and if your bored smelt and worms have been known to pull them in.
You can't use bait in the Glenmore Resevoir
Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
You can't use bait in the Glenmore Resevoir
You can't use bait fish in the Glenmore Reservoir.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishing...ngwithbaitfish

Heading down Sunday night. Feel free to msg if you wanna join. Lots of spots to rediscover. Pulling out the canoe again soon.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
wow
x2
Old 05-05-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
x2
x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdvinTheKid View Post
I am primarily going for pike but I wouldnt mind going for trout. But my main focus for tomorrow will be Pike. Im probably going to fish the South Shore and look for weedy areas.
Trout are in there, but with the ice being off for over a month, they will be likely more challenging to locate as they tend to disperse a bit more.

You'll be able to find lots of pike close to where the Elbow enters the reservoir as there is more structure, on either the south or north side. I prefer the south, to get away from the crowds, but tend to have success in most spots I go. Just cycle through your gear until you find something that works, as it changes daily.

Tight lines

Old 05-06-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
x3

Trout are in there, but with the ice being off for over a month, they will be likely more challenging to locate as they tend to disperse a bit more.

You'll be able to find lots of pike close to where the Elbow enters the reservoir as there is more structure, on either the south or north side. I prefer the south, to get away from the crowds, but tend to have success in most spots I go. Just cycle through your gear until you find something that works, as it changes daily.

Tight lines
Oh, and make sure you have the correct-sized, sharp hooks. I hear they come off pretty easily!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
Oh, and make sure you have the correct-sized, sharp hooks. I hear they come off pretty easily!
You lost a hook?

Don't horse'm!
Old 05-07-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
You lost a hook?

Don't horse'm!
Nah, just something I heard...
Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 AM

We are heading out today as well on our kayaks, is there a good spot to put our kayaks in the water near north glenmore park? How far would we have to carry our yaks?

We haven't been there to fish yet, so just curious. Thanks!

We are aiming for pike as well, search for more shallow/warm water with structure, this was the tip from a good friend of mine. The pike fishing in the reservoir is the best at this time of year. As it gets warmer they go deeper.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshizzle13 View Post
We are heading out today as well on our kayaks, is there a good spot to put our kayaks in the water near north glenmore park? How far would we have to carry our yaks?

We haven't been there to fish yet, so just curious. Thanks!

We are aiming for pike as well, search for more shallow/warm water with structure, this was the tip from a good friend of mine. The pike fishing in the reservoir is the best at this time of year. As it gets warmer they go deeper.
Best I've found is parking at the rowing club and walking a couple hundred meters down the hill (gate is shut so you can't drive right down to the water)

Much easier than parking at North Glenmore park and dragging it down through the bushes
Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the tip, we ended up going to the sailing club near south glenmore park and drove right up to the boat launch, no issues. Finding fish however is a problem! It is so shallow in some places we could walk half the reservoir it seems.

We haven't seen any action on the fly, spoons, raps, bait, nothing.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, we ended up going to the sailing club near south glenmore park and drove right up to the boat launch, no issues. Finding fish however is a problem! It is so shallow in some places we could walk half the reservoir it seems.

We haven't seen any action on the fly, spoons, raps, bait, nothing.
Yea its been slow the past couple days. However, if you take the pathway left of the sailing club and walk down that path you will eventually reach this kinda 'curb' and the water is way deeper then by the boat launch.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Caught a small'ish pike there today, and saw 3x other fish (I think rainbows) go for my lures. Was pretty miserable this morning, really got nice later on. I fished from the corner closest to Glenmore trail, just where the rock wall pokes out a bit into the water. Like my 4th time fishing here, finally got something. Pike went back in.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:24 PM

Caught a decent pike from the kayak, had about 3 others snagging. Powerbait minnow and jig. Won't tell you where though
Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 AM

The most consistent spot we have found in our kayaks is by the large floating dock near the south boat launch , the old river channel goes by there. Anywhere else your casting very close to shore and covering lots of water.

Right now the water is a bit dirty so it's not as much of an issue, but I have found they can be a bit leader shy in that lake.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Google Earth is a wonderful tool to scout Glenmore for fishing spots.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:

He did, new to Calgary, likes fishing, heard about Pike and Trout. He didn't ask where to go fishing, he asked for a spot on this particular water body.

It would be more useful to read the post, then contribute something constructive and beneficial. It would also be useful, that if you cannot accomplish anything mentioned in the previous sentence, to say nothing and move on.

Cheers
Old 05-08-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
He did, new to Calgary, likes fishing, heard about Pike and Trout. He didn't ask where to go fishing, he asked for a spot on this particular water body.

It would be more useful to read the post, then contribute something constructive and beneficial. It would also be useful, that if you cannot accomplish anything mentioned in the previous sentence, to say nothing and move on.

Cheers
I would suggest taking your own advice and doing the same.

The OP's first post was asking for spots on Glenmore, nothing more. I suggested that they may get a warmer welcome if they let us know a bit about themselves, or say hi, rather than just simply asking for spots. If you want to give out great spots on a waterbody to someone with 1 post, feel free. I'll make sure to ask you in the future!

I would suggest reading my second post, where I provided some constructive information for the OP to find some fish in Glenmore. You know? Or maybe just say nothing and move on.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdvinTheKid View Post
Hello, I am new to Calgary and I have heard about the Glenmore Reservoir having Pike and Trout in it. I primarily want to fish from the south shore.

Does anyone have any good spots along the south shore of the Glenmore Reservoir.

Any tips would be gladly appreciated! Thank you!
Quote:
I would suggest taking your own advice and doing the same.

The OP's first post was asking for spots on Glenmore, nothing more. I suggested that they may get a warmer welcome if they let us know a bit about themselves, or say hi, rather than just simply asking for spots. If you want to give out great spots on a waterbody to someone with 1 post, feel free. I'll make sure to ask you in the future!

I would suggest reading my second post, where I provided some constructive information for the OP to find some fish in Glenmore. You know? Or maybe just say nothing and move on.
I've read and reread.

Have a nice day!

Cheers
Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 AM

the trout bite was on from 8:00pm thru 10:30pm, aggressive scatter rap in gold, followers right up to shore. look for rapid structure changes. not deep water.

caught 1 at 5 1/2 lbs. lost two (had changed out trebles for singles, argh!)
Old 05-10-2017, 11:41 AM

elbow river inlet pike and trout smallest five of diamonds. light line. works for me.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
elbow river inlet pike and trout smallest five of diamonds. light line. works for me.
When you say inlet, are you taking near the pedestrian bridge or the super shallow water where the Elbow comes in? I know it is deeper near the river channel, but is this the area you are talking about? We were there last weekend and didn't see any fish surface and no action on any spoon or anything we tried.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
When you say inlet, are you taking near the pedestrian bridge or the super shallow water where the Elbow comes in? I know it is deeper near the river channel, but is this the area you are talking about? We were there last weekend and didn't see any fish surface and no action on any spoon or anything we tried.
The Elbow River upstream of the reservoir does not open until June 16th, which would include the area near the pedestrian bridge at Wesealhead. While fishing the inlet of the Elbow River is decent, just be very aware of where you are fishing, because if a Fish and Wildlife Officer believes you are fishing the river and not the reservoir, you'll get ticketed for poaching (fishing out of season). I've heard rumours of them blitzing this area...

I would probably call the Fish and Wildlife Office and speak with an Officer, so you are aware of where the reservoir boundary is.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
Caught a small'ish pike there today, and saw 3x other fish (I think rainbows) go for my lures. Was pretty miserable this morning, really got nice later on. I fished from the corner closest to Glenmore trail, just where the rock wall pokes out a bit into the water. Like my 4th time fishing here, finally got something. Pike went back in.
quick video of the pike https://vid.me/Hy3L

Was just little.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
quick video of the pike https://vid.me/Hy3L

Was just little.

Thats a nice pike even for its size. Nice catch

Northern Pike: 32
Trout: 17
Yellow Perch: 1
Burbot: 0
Whitefish: 2
Sturgeon: Never gonna catch one anyway..

Any questions? Feel free to PM me