Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2015, 03:35 PM

Default How about a little comsumer protection as a campaign promise?

Owed a buddy for some help with something I couldn't do. Agreed on BBQ steak dinner as payment. Picked up a couple $5 steaks. Now they are $7.50-8+ each. $25 kg for regular cow meat. Crickey, the T-bones were $49kg.
Seeing as most of the meat packing plants now are owned by US entities, how much does the Canadian farmer get for his beef cattle? It's a lot of work and expense to raise a beef cow to maturity. Hell, that cow on the shelf is worth $13 thousand or more once it hits the saran wrap.
The stuff is so expensive, they put anti-theft tags on them. Meat for god's sake!!

I can buy a 24 of Coke for less than a jug of milk. If I wait for a sale I can get 5.5x 2L bottles of pop for the same price as a jug of milk.

Oil was $57 a bbl - why is gasoline 94 cents a Liter?

What the heck is the world coming to? I guess there isn't any laws about "gouging" the customers.
We both work full time and have trouble making ends meet. No new vehicles, no new toys (or any for that matter), no cable, no partying. Just work and pay taxes, pay taxes, pay taxes.....

Hey Government, can us working stiffs get a hand too?
Old 05-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Banned

holy crap... i haven't bought meat in almost a year and now i'm glad
Old 05-04-2015, 03:51 PM

So, the government should subsidize steak?
Old 05-04-2015, 04:40 PM

How about dental rates. If B.C. rates are 37% lower than in Alberta what is going on either her or there?
Old 05-04-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
the T-bones were $49kg.
You are paying about $108 per pound for a T-bone steak?

I suggest you try slumming at stores us peasants go to... Safeway, Sobey's, Superstore, Costco, IGA, places like tht.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

I suggest you try slumming at stores us peasants go to... Safeway, Sobey's, Superstore, Costco, IGA, places like tht.
$22/lb. wrong way with the conversion
Still crazy
Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM

2 yrs ago 7 weight feeder steers were under $1000/hd. Late last fall 7 weight steers were bringing $2000/hd. So yes the increase has trickled down to the producer.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
How about dental rates. If B.C. rates are 37% lower than in Alberta what is going on either her or there?
Next time you're in the chair, tell your dentist he's charging you 37% too much.
If you don't like his rates, go elsewhere.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Next time you're in the chair, tell your dentist he's charging you 37% too much.
If you don't like his rates, go elsewhere.
yup I am as I pay cash I will be going to B.C.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
yup I am as I pay cash I will be going to B.C.

So, what's the problem then?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:06 PM

Well I got this 37 % info from a retirement group who is telling their members that for them dental plans in Alberta are no longer sustainable. I like to look out for my outdoorsmen buddies that may soon be like me and have to pay cash.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:52 PM

Default Seriously??

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
Owed a buddy for some help with something I couldn't do. Agreed on BBQ steak dinner as payment. Picked up a couple $5 steaks. Now they are $7.50-8+ each. $25 kg for regular cow meat. Crickey, the T-bones were $49kg.
Seeing as most of the meat packing plants now are owned by US entities, how much does the Canadian farmer get for his beef cattle? It's a lot of work and expense to raise a beef cow to maturity. Hell, that cow on the shelf is worth $13 thousand or more once it hits the saran wrap.
The stuff is so expensive, they put anti-theft tags on them. Meat for god's sake!!

I can buy a 24 of Coke for less than a jug of milk. If I wait for a sale I can get 5.5x 2L bottles of pop for the same price as a jug of milk.

Oil was $57 a bbl - why is gasoline 94 cents a Liter?

What the heck is the world coming to? I guess there isn't any laws about "gouging" the customers.
We both work full time and have trouble making ends meet. No new vehicles, no new toys (or any for that matter), no cable, no partying. Just work and pay taxes, pay taxes, pay taxes.....

Hey Government, can us working stiffs get a hand too?
You want the government to regulate the prices that retailers, in a currently relatively free, competitive market, seek to charge the consumer for products (??). That has been tried. It is called Communism. It didn't work out very well for anyone in those places (except the corrupt regulators/dictators?). I recommend that you vote ND (unless you are in the Millwoods constituency, where you can actually vote Communist), though even they won't fulfil your fantasy to this extent.
Better yet, move to one of the few communist dictatorship workers' paradise places that still exist (North Korea is nice for people of such bent, I hear?). You will get very good and low set prices on your purchases - you won't have any money to do so, or choice, or often even availability, of products, but ...?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Math is hard!!!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Math is hard!!!
In Okies defence, it has been goin around.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Banned

Got a few friends been dancing jigs lately on what they're selling cattle for and some that aren't because they got out of cattle a few years ago.

Milk prices are controlled by some sort of a dairy marketing board (government) and they have a quota system to limit new entrants into the market so that they control the prices and keep competition out of the equation. (try buying a liter of milk from some Joe Blow farmer with a couple non-quota dairy cows and you'll have the swat team kicking in your door...)

Gas prices as you know have a large amount of taxes built into them which the government isn't going to get rid of.

And, like you mentioned we pay a ton of taxes on our income, property, etc etc etc. Pretty much cutting our buying power in half....thanks government.

In short, asking for price controls for any of these things (save beef) from the government is like asking the mafia for a break in protection prices. Ain't gonna happen.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 PM

How about they save us from the raping utilities are giving us. Charging 80 or a hundred for distribution and other outrageous fees for 10 dollars worth of gas or electricity. You would almost think Alberta was Ontario.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:

It was Sobeys.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:47 AM

Prices are defanetly climbing fast. Just check flyers out, and those prices are on sale. The gov and news people will say though, inflation is only 2% . Glad we just got a side for $4.00/ lb.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.