Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2015, 01:00 PM

Just heard on the news{radio) that if elected Racheal Notley said "She will rescind government support for all pipelines".She must think shipping by rail is the only way to go.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:18 PM

This is pure evil if true.
she wants NO Pipelines, a provincial gun registry ?
Im surprised the other parties arent all over this.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
Just heard on the news{radio) that if elected Racheal Notley said "She will rescind government support for all pipelines".She must think shipping by rail is the only way to go.
She said that was not the case on the Northern Gateway. I going to re-read the NDP platform. Anything that comes outta anyone`s mouth this week, needs to be fact checked.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Who cares if she wants to try and pull a Quebec and create a provincial gun registry, not going to happen if she wants to be a one term premier. Kinda a mute point, no way they open that can of worms.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Never heard of Pine Point NWT so I looked it up. It appears this was a one industry town built to mine lead and zinc (closed in 1987), and was one of the most profitable in Canadian history. The mine/town closed because of the cost of maintaining the town, exhaustion of near plant resources, and low metal prices.

Could not see where anyone was pushed around, and in fact another company with newer technologies is planning on mining the site again as there are 35 known mineable deposits.
Mostly true, but as usual the real reason for the closure is too complicated to be mentioned in a simple history blurb. Or here.

The basics of the matter, high grade ore was running out, labor unions were bleeding off the profits and government was increasing taxes and regulations to the point that the company thought it made economic sense to shut down till conditions and prices improved.

(Which is exactly what could happen in the Alberta Oil industry.)

The territories government, seeing a ton of jobs and tax dollars about to evaporate tried to bully them into staying in operation by legislating that if the mine closed, the site had to be returned to a natural state and the town removed.

The companies (This was a consortium) shut everything down, removed the town and did a bunch of cleanup and that is how it stands today as you can see in the photos.

I was part of the crew that removed most of that town. Most of it is now in northern Alberta.

The NEP came close to achieving the same results here in Alberta.

Yes the oil would still be there. The ore is still in Pine Point.

What happened to all those jobs? Where are all the tax revenues that Mine generated?

We think it's tough in today's Alberta. It is nothing to what it would be like if the oil industry shut down to wait for conditions to improve.

No doubt they would return. The question is, When.

Pine Point has been a wasteland for over thirty years. What would Alberta look like thirty years from now without oil revenues?

I'm not saying I align myself with either camp. I am saying, be careful what you wish for, you may get more then you bargain for.

No one likes to get pushed around and those with the money can and will do something about it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-26-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

Holy smoke guys! This was just speculation on the OP's post. Now everyone is putting words that are BS in the leaders mouths... Research please before shooting from the hip....
Old 04-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I believe you are on the right track.

Only I don't think they are interested in rail either. It looks to me like they would like to shut down all oil related activity.

Remember, the new fad is to think of oil as dirty, bad for the environment, the cause of global warming.

Welcome to the modern world where fear and misinformation is the way to make a profit.

I recall that a while back we were told that the worlds oil reserves would run out by the year 2000. There was scientific proof we were told. It was inevitable they said.

What followed was round after round of fuel price increases.

A few years after that we were told that our forests were about to vanish into a few lumber mills. We had to act fast or our forests would be gone.

Twenty years later and lumber prices are double what they were, and there is more logging going on then ever.

Then it was global warming. We had to act fast or it would be too late.

I wonder who will make money off this one.

One thing I learned from door to door salesmen. If they get pushy their product is no good.

A good product sells itself. And so too does a good cause.

The truth speaks for itself, it doesn't need science or add campaigns to sell it.

No where is that more true then in politics. We loved Ralph because he spoke his mind and did what he said he'd do.

No double talk, no empty promises.

Ignore the politics, and the party platforms and the promises. Ask yourself, is this person telling the truth, is she answering questions or dodging them.
Can he or she be trusted?

If they can't be trusted to tell the truth and keep their promises it doesn't matter one whit what the party platform is or what they promise.

They will do what they like once in office.

Learn the lesson of the Red Queen.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-26-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
The oil is still here, alberta still holds the power, the corporations will moan and groan but they will suck it up and stay. In outdoorsman forum terms, if alberta held almost all the hunting opportunities in canada people would come from all over the country to hunt here. Times might get tough for the corporations but it's no different than any other business, make the proper moves and surge forward.
The oil may still be here, but if the taxes and royalties climb, the investors will take their money and invest it where it will make a much better rate of return. The investors have dropped projects that they had large amounts of money invested in, rather than tie up more money, for a low rate of return.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:23 PM

Funny that NDP have had long stints in power in Manitoba and saskatchewan yet tons of gun hunters in both provinces with no NDP hassles and sask's oil patch has done well over recent years. Lots of fear ,mongers around Id be more worried with what potential corruption gets uncovered after 40 odd years of conservative govt if they get ousted
Old 04-26-2015, 05:31 PM

Default NDP totalled Manitoba and Saskatchewan

PC s will win in a walk in Manitoba next election .

http://www.poletical.com/the-ndps-ignorance.php

Haven't touched guns because ,to busy screwing up

Every thing else
Old 04-26-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
PC s will win in a walk in Manitoba next election .

http://www.poletical.com/the-ndps-ignorance.php

Haven't touched guns because ,to busy screwing up

Every thing else
The author seems to ignore the Winnipeg Declaration as well as the Statement of Principles in his writing while focusing on the emotional point of the Regina Manifesto.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 04-26-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Only I don't think they are interested in rail either. It looks to me like they would like to shut down all oil related activity.

Remember, the new fad is to think of oil as dirty, bad for the environment, the cause of global warming.

Welcome to the modern world where fear and misinformation is the way to make a profit.

I recall that a while back we were told that the worlds oil reserves would run out by the year 2000. There was scientific proof we were told. It was inevitable they said.

What followed was round after round of fuel price increases.

A few years after that we were told that our forests were about to vanish into a few lumber mills. We had to act fast or our forests would be gone.

Twenty years later and lumber prices are double what they were, and there is more logging going on then ever.

Then it was global warming. We had to act fast or it would be too late.

I wonder who will make money off this one.

One thing I learned from door to door salesmen. If they get pushy their product is no good.

A good product sells itself. And so too does a good cause.

The truth speaks for itself, it doesn't need science or add campaigns to sell it.

No where is that more true then in politics. We loved Ralph because he spoke his mind and did what he said he'd do.

No double talk, no empty promises.

Ignore the politics, and the party platforms and the promises. Ask yourself, is this person telling the truth, is she answering questions or dodging them.

If they can't be trusted to tell the truth and keep their promises it doesn't matter one whit what the party platform is or what they promise.

Well said ,I agree 100%.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Banned

Vote Wildrose.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

How can you ignore the party platforms and promises. Neither Jean or Notley have ever been Premier, so it is impossible to know if they will follow through on their promises. You can not know if they can be trusted until that happens, your ramblings make little sense.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegriver View Post
that's what they thought in pine point.

How'd it work out for them?

Pine point main facilities.

pine point residential street today.

trying to push big corporations around seldom works well.
"bingo"
Old 04-26-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
Was thinking about this, this morning. The ndp make no bones about being rabidly anti-gun. I could't find anything about policy on the Ab. ndp site, then remembered reading it's all one party so looked at the fed. site.

With Quebec wanting to start their own gun registry come hell or high water, why wouldn't a potential Alberta ndp gov't do the same in concert with Quebec?
Not finding anything, and then making up some fearmongering "what if" stuff damages your credibility.
Banned

The media must be notified to ask Ms. Notley if she will institute any provincial gun control measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The ND's will drive the oil patch into oblivion.
First by taxing the you know what's outta the corporations.
Then by jacking their royalties.
Then by instituting so many hoops and barriers that the cost of doing business will be like paying extortion money to the mob.
You think times are bad now!
It'll take oil being at $125/bbl to cause any interest in Alberta if they ever get in power.
Alberta will be so awash in red ink, but heh the trains will run on time.
YES / TRUE.

Dodger.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
The media must be notified to ask Ms. Notley if she will institute any provincial gun control measures.
They have been on Twitter. Not sure if they'll take it up. One member here earlier on said he contacted NDP office this weekend and is waiting for a reply. Let's give it til Tuesday, a bad ask, ask, ask
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Vote Wildrose.

If you value integrity, accountability, and responsible Vote NDP!

BW
Old 04-26-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Non of those things can be used to describe any politician.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Pretty much this...

Anyone who thinks oil companies are going to just pack up and leave is completely deluding themselves. There is nowhere they can go that already has the infastructure already invested and in place like Alberta does, and the decades and decades of investment and time will not just disappear because of a swing of government from just right of center to just left of center.

Absolutely they are going to kick and scream and have a tantrum over it, and just like my kids they might refuse to eat for a little bit, but sooner than later they will be hungry again and come back to the table and eat it, even if it is bit tough to swallow...

Oh... Just so we are clear... I am not an NDP supporter... Facts are facts though...
Well, I don't mean to pick on this one post, as there are clearly a lot of people that think like this, but at the risk of over stating the obvious, there is oil all over the world and it is being discovered and developed every day. Alberta may have some of the oldest fields etc, but the easy oil is getting scarce. If you think it's hard for an oil company to shut off the capital expenditure tap for one part of the globe and open it up somewhere else, you don't know very much about the patch. I would love to see a number for how many wells have been suspended in the last few months. Just the one's I know of myself ain't a small number.

The boys in Calgary and Houston ain't too sentimental about where they make their money.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

BW
You can have all the integrity, accountability and responsibility in the world, but if you don't have a clue what you're doing the boat is still gonna sink.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
You can have all the integrity, accountability and responsibility in the world, but if you don't have a clue what you're doing the boat is still gonna sink.

How true. Ask Jim or Danielle .....
Old 04-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
They have been on Twitter. Not sure if they'll take it up. One member here earlier on said he contacted NDP office this weekend and is waiting for a reply. Let's give it til Tuesday, a bad ask, ask, ask
If the NDP does not respond that obviously means they will be implementing a provincial gun registry.

No time to fool around. Yes or No.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post
How true. Ask Jim or Danielle .....
Hey!!..you never replied to the time in the work force thing....did you get embarrassed?...or are you planning on a career in politics where if you don't like a question you ignore it???
Old 04-26-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Well, I don't mean to pick on this one post, as there are clearly a lot of people that think like this, but at the risk of over stating the obvious, there is oil all over the world and it is being discovered and developed every day. Alberta may have some of the oldest fields etc, but the easy oil is getting scarce. If you think it's hard for an oil company to shut off the capital expenditure tap for one part of the globe and open it up somewhere else, you don't know very much about the patch. I would love to see a number for how many wells have been suspended in the last few months. Just the one's I know of myself ain't a small number.

The boys in Calgary and Houston ain't too sentimental about where they make their money.
Just about the greatest "Alberta Advantage" there is would be the stable political and cultural climate we have. Our infrastructure and population are other high points, as well as our proximity to the continental United States.

While what you indicate is true to an extent, the security of supply that we offer should not be discounted.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

BW
And having my door bashed down at 3:00 am to take my .22 rifle.

No. That will never happen.

Oh: High River. That was just a mistake.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
If the NDP does not respond that obviously means they will be implementing a provincial gun registry.

No time to fool around. Yes or No.
This argument is so weak, are you basing that on all the other provinces that were led by the NDP that implemented one..............not. History proves your fears are misplaced and foolish at best.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
What you heard is untrue.

She's not supporting northern gateway, as it'll be as successful as the Mackenzie Valley pipeline, and there are other fish to fry at the moment. She has stated she supports the expansion of the Transmountain lines, and the lines going east.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...942/story.html