Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2015, 02:10 AM

Default All terrain tires finding good deals

Hey guys, so I'm currently trying to find the right deal for some A/T tires. I could really use some advice on where a good place would be to buy some. I'm kinda leaning towards getting the toyo open country A/T 2 xtreme tires but I don't know anyone in the tire business who could help me with a good deal. My tires are getting pretty bald and I just wish I knew someone or had the right contacts around the city to find the best deal. I'm located in Calgary and to be honest don't have a lot of experience buying new tires. I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for without killing the bank. Any recommendations or suggestions would be really appreciated
Thanks
Old 05-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Banned

Good luck. I have been looking for aggressive tires now for quite some time,lots out there but it seems your going to pay. If you find any deal please let me know
Old 05-02-2015, 07:38 AM

Default All terrain tires finding good deals

I'm pretty sure there is a member on here, who runs a shop in calgary. Can't remember his name.
After that Can tire often has the best prices on tires....dealing with them and letting them have your vehicle is while nother thing.
Toyos are generally towards the high end price wise. Take a look at the general grabber at2s.
Edit : member "bigbfiddaddy" has a shop in Calgary and has always seemed to have positive feedback.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:09 AM

Checking around for a better tire for a vehicle I'm considering I happened upon the Cooper X/T4, which looks to be a winner. While not quite as aggressive for moderate off-road driving it should have quite an edge over those Toyo's in winter performance & braking (perhaps the most important performance factor of all).

http://ca.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...ERER-X-T4.aspx

The last time I was looking for tires I got a few prices and the absolute bar-none best price was from Tirecraft on Centre Street near the Chinook LRT station. As I was also checking Kijiji for used tires I found a price on a set of near-new Nokian Hakk LT's that I could not pass up, but I had them mounted there as well as my wife's winter tires to her new winter wheels. I'll be returning there. I will note that there was an error as the tires I had mounted are directional, but one was mounted backwards. Tirecraft promptly and apologetically fixed the error when I brought it in and pointed it out. I just wish I'd noticed the error before bringing them home and jacking up my vehicle.....

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-02-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:24 AM

Well don't be buyin' Cooper A/3's if you are runnin' a lot of gravel under load... leading edge of your equipment will end up lookin' like it's been sandblasted. I've got 15000km on mine and the gravel storm may (??) be slowin' down.

No idea where you're at but Larson's Tire in Ft Macleod beats anyone's pricin' on most major brands south of Kalgree
Old 05-02-2015, 03:35 PM

Hey thanks guys I've got some good help on here and have found a pretty good deal from a fellow AO member
Thanks
Old 05-03-2015, 10:50 AM

The Cooper XT-4 look decent if you drive an SUV or more of a pavement pickup. Me, I would go GY Duratracs-good in mud and snow, great wear (100K on my first set on my 200HD CC 4x4). We run them on our company trucks. Its the only tire I will run.

Canadian Tire has them on sale right now 4-3. My fatherinlaw missed out on the Fountain Tire spring sale.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klond16 View Post
Hey thanks guys I've got some good help on here and have found a pretty good deal from a fellow AO member
Thanks
You can't start a tire thread and then say you got set up without noting the kind of tires you wound up with, its in the AO constitution . What is your typical use, mostly city/highway/pavement with X% on gravel and occasional off-road or lots of gravel and off-road?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Well I'm going with the toyo open country xtreme in 285 65r18. I got a sweet deal from Bob down at urban expressions in Calgary great guy to deal with I would recommend him to anyone.
I mainly drive in the city as I current live in Calgary but that doesn't stop me from getting out there and exploring new trail. About 30 to 40 percent I'd say I'm out on truck trails and the gravel roads get me there. Got tired of slipping around on thin layer of mud I expect these tires will make a huge difference.