Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2015, 01:14 PM

Default rv issues

Not getting gas to furnace or stove. I can hear furnace igniter trying to start. Thinking it's the dual regulator, the guage doesnt move when I open either bottle. Thoughts? Anyone replace one of those lately?
Old 05-04-2015, 01:19 PM

give your reg a tap witha hammer

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 05-04-2015, 01:22 PM

Ya I didn't try that, thanks.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Not getting gas to furnace or stove. I can hear furnace igniter trying to start. Thinking it's the dual regulator, the guage doesnt move when I open either bottle. Thoughts? Anyone replace one of those lately?
Had this happen to me once too. I have dual propane tanks. I which over to the full tank and it worked fine. Then whiched it back to the other that was near empty.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Your gas lines are likely full of air from the bottles being turned off all winter.
If the bottles are for sure full, turn the stove on in the trailer until you can get the burners lit. Chances are it will take a minute or two. You just have to get the air purged out of the lines. If not, try switching bottles.
You can always crack a union to make sure you are getting gas pressure downstream of the regulator.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:03 PM

Also try turning the valve on very slowly, I have to do this for mine...some safety feature I'm told.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:33 PM

I agree with hunt4ever, always turn the propane bottles on very slowly. Let it alone for several minutes, try lighting the stove to ensure gas is far enough along, then try the furnace,etc. BEL
Old 05-04-2015, 11:36 PM

Had an issue once where there was no gas getting to furnace, disconnected propane line at the furnace, turned gas on at tank and a small amount of a wax like material came out of the line. This wax like stuff was blocking the flow of gas to the fridge. I opened and closed the tanks a few times to confirm an open line and all worked as it should. Have only seen this once, obviously it got in there when the tank was filled, but don't know what it was.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
Also try turning the valve on very slowly, I have to do this for mine...some safety feature I'm told.
^^^^This... I just learned this trick this spring with my trailer. If your connection at the tank has the large green knob, it has a safety valve in that connection as well to prevent blowouts. First time you pressurize the lines could throw that safety valve into "safe" mode and only allow a trickle of propane through it.

I had the situation where I could light the stove (last appliance on the propane line) and the burners (3) would power up and blow full blast for about 20 seconds, then simmer down by themselves to a trickle of flame. No matter what I did, couldn't get past this point. If my stove doesn't run full-bore, nothing else will. Had to disconnect the tank for a couple of seconds, then reconnect and turn the propane on SLOWLY (as Hunt4Ever suggests) in order to not throw that safety valve on the tank connection.

At least, that's how it worked for me.... Once the above was done, then had full propane at the stove and then fridge/furnace would operate as normal.

Usually in most trailer systems, your stove is the last appliance in the line; if it doesn't light, nothing else will.

Here's the link that I learned about the propane tank: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...low-81111.html - read post #3

J.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:04 AM

Default Contamination

Might have oil in the lines happens when bottles get over filled to many times had happen to me last year orange dancing flame is ussally a good sign I reamove line off reg that goes into trailer lowered it to the ground and all the oil started to come out take off line wash with hot soapy water and rinse let dry should help. Cheers
Old 05-05-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Very easy to change. Did mine last summer. But I'd try all the other suggestions 1st. Unhook the tanks and open them VERY slowly. Then turn on the stove to get the air out of the lines and light it. If that doesn't work make sure your tanks are full.