Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Banned

Default anyone with experience with tracks?

I'd like to put a 2003 chevy tracker on tracks........but have no experience on what to buy.

does anyone out there have experience with tracks? will any of the camoplast utv tracks be strong enough to carry the tracker?? or do I have to buy the mattracks designed for heavier vehicles?

this will be used almost exclusively on snow on the prairie (no stumps or muskeg)

I weighed the tracker with my wife and I in it and it weighs 1570 kgs, so the camo tracks should carry it, but I don't want to break something while miles from home.

interested in hearing ANY opinions from people who have used tracks

what about mounting them?? doesn't look like camoplast is too user freindly
Old 05-01-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
I'd like to put a 2003 chevy tracker on tracks........but have no experience on what to buy.

does anyone out there have experience with tracks? will any of the camoplast utv tracks be strong enough to carry the tracker?? or do I have to buy the mattracks designed for heavier vehicles?

this will be used almost exclusively on snow on the prairie (no stumps or muskeg)

I weighed the tracker with my wife and I in it and it weighs 1570 kgs, so the camo tracks should carry it, but I don't want to break something while miles from home.

You plan on doing any work to the drive-line? Tracks will require a lot more torque than spinning tires. I'd be concerned the diff's, tranny, and 4cyl aren't going hold up under the increased demand.

But I am interested in seeing the pics once your done!
Old 05-01-2015, 10:41 PM

If you go on Kijiji and search for tracker or sidekick over all Alberta there are a couple for sale on tracks.The seller may be able to give you some help.
Also there is a shop in Kelowna called Altered Ego. They specialize in Tracker/ Sidekick parts and modifications. You can find them through Google
Old 05-02-2015, 09:08 AM

Track and Go are interesting tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZruohbsDHQ
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-02-2015, 09:47 AM

I have a set of Camoplast T4's for my quad, and they're very well built and not complicated to install. If I was you I would get in touch with them direct as I'm sure they've probably had a few customers do what you are wanting to do and will be able to tell you if they have a mounting kit for a Tracker and which of their tracks will work for it...
Old 05-02-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post

Take a ride over to Snow and Mud.com , look for roadtech (Don) from Long Lake, Alberta. He has a Geo Tracker that he has done the track thing to in 2014 and has 1 winter under his belt, grooming trails. Lots of information.

Bruce.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:50 PM

These are cheaper and less robust than Mattracks but seem to be a good winter option:

http://www.americantracktruck.com/
Old 05-02-2015, 02:08 PM

Default anyone with experience with tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB RANGER 007 View Post
Take a ride over to Snow and Mud.com , look for roadtech (Don) from Long Lake, Alberta. He has a Geo Tracker that he has done the track thing to in 2014 and has 1 winter under his belt, grooming trails. Lots of information.

Bruce.
( on my part) On the S&M site, select the Western Canadian Riding (BC/AB), N.E. Alberta, Riding At The Lake Next Generation, and follow roadtech's posts.

Bruce.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLabel View Post
You plan on doing any work to the drive-line? Tracks will require a lot more torque than spinning tires. I'd be concerned the diff's, tranny, and 4cyl aren't going hold up under the increased demand.

But I am interested in seeing the pics once your done!
You will actually gain torque but lose speed when running tracks. Driveline would probably be fine but I would worry about pulling apart the front independent suspension with the increased leverage that the tracks put on the front end.

I know a guy that has a set of tracks on a Jeep TJ and he has done very well in deep snow. He also installed lockers in both diffs prior to getting the tracks.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:36 PM

The experience I've had is with tracks coming off mostly on industrial machines. Depending on what it's on it can make for an ugly day. It would not be the way I would want to go but each to their own.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Banned

thanks for the replies.....gives me some info to consider, and also some places to go for some advice.

if I do this mod, the machine will be used with a great deal of care. I do not abuse any of my stuff and I think the potential would be there to tear the thing apart if a guy started trying to race it around/thru/over stuff.

i'll check out some of the links supplied and hopefully find some people who have hands on experience with tracks