Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Default looking for leasehand work

Hey guys, im 42 and would like to get a job as a leasehand, I m from out of province and h2s is over 320 here,, ive got family here so I cant make the trip and spend thousands unless I know im gonna get some work! Any advice would be helpful!!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:37 PM

Little late in the year for looking for a job as a lease hand. Try in a couple months, or maybe October.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Definitely wrong time of year. Best bet us to get your tickets and come up this way. There are many guys, with tickets who live in the area looking for the same job

Last edited by troutbug; 03-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 PM

Lots of jobs but you need to be here before you will get one. Lots of rigs racking up for break up, bad time to look for a job on the rigs. Get set up in alberta, get your tickets, a clean pee test card is a plus too. Then start banging on doors. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Gone Hunting

There was a job fare yesterday with 500 jobs available. News said there are 7000 skilled and 20,000 non skilled jobs available in the province. A lot of rigs will be shut down soon for breakup.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-20-2014, 09:29 PM

Try a area that doesn't have much for breakup and year round work like Bonnyville or lloydminster. Rigs around here work year round. Lots more jobs than that too. 320 will seem like very little if you want it enough.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:46 PM

Its his first post and its about work, doubt he will be back
Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 PM

I don't know what I see more of, posters for worker or workers who show up for a two checks and pack it in
Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I don't know what I see more of, posters for worker or workers who show up for a two checks and pack it in
Maybe they leave to become power engineer's lol
Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Iv done a few interviews latley and its funny how many employers straight up say *dont bother even coming on if your just going to stay for a check or two*

pretty sad people do that. Some places I spoke to wont even help employees with h2s, first aid etc as guys take the courses then bugger off
Old 03-20-2014, 10:17 PM

Not many newbs where I work but you see them show up in town wide eyed and stunned.
Lot of false hopes arrive. Uncle joe isn't really a boss and the 49 bucks a hour, free place to stay and free flights don't happen. Or they just realize that it isn't easy money and it's not what they expected. Buh bye
Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Not many newbs where I work but you see them show up in town wide eyed and stunned.
Lot of false hopes arrive. Uncle joe isn't really a boss and the 49 bucks a hour, free place to stay and free flights don't happen. Or they just realize that it isn't easy money and it's not what they expected. Buh bye
Happens more often then some thing
Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 PM

And 42 yrs old is getting up there for a labor job.

Nice poke at the power engineers Lee, too funny.
But it is the PE wanna-be's that's really funny IMO.

TBark
Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
And 42 yrs old is getting up there for a labor job.

Nice poke at the power engineers Lee, too funny.
But it is the PE wanna-be's that's really funny IMO.

TBark
everyone wants to be a PE until they have a look at the books for schooling.

It threw me off but I cant wait to do the course
Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 AM

My brother recently came out from BC to work as a leasehand (lasted one night shift on the rig) and the drilling companies wanted nothing to do with him until he physically came out here and applied. Makes sense, seeing as they probably speak to hundreds of out-of-towners that never show.

He came on a Saturday, applied at two places on Monday, got hired Tuesday, physical/drug test on Wednesday, orientation Thursday, start Friday. Worked the Friday night shift and I picked him up Saturday morning, and then Tuesday he was on the bus back home.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owllight View Post
My brother recently came out from BC to work as a leasehand (lasted one night shift on the rig) and the drilling companies wanted nothing to do with him until he physically came out here and applied. Makes sense, seeing as they probably speak to hundreds of out-of-towners that never show.

He came on a Saturday, applied at two places on Monday, got hired Tuesday, physical/drug test on Wednesday, orientation Thursday, start Friday. Worked the Friday night shift and I picked him up Saturday morning, and then Tuesday he was on the bus back home.
Was it the work/work conditions, or did he have an issue with being the low man on the pole and couldn't take orders?

It's always good to hear about the bad things people experience, instead of yeah it's gravy work and I make $70 an hour to run a pressure washer lol.

And my little dig about power engineering wasn't towards people who are actually power engineers, it was more towards all the threads from the one post wonders asking about getting in to power engineering because it's easy work with good pay.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Was it the work/work conditions, or did he have an issue with being the low man on the pole and couldn't take orders?

It's always good to hear about the bad things people experience, instead of yeah it's gravy work and I make $70 an hour to run a pressure washer lol.
Mostly the work, it was much harder than anything he could have imagined. The yelling wore him down too.

I warned him. Totally warned him. I knew he wouldn't be able to handle it...maybe I'm a bad sister but I just knew it. He figured he understood hard work and rough men because he had assisted on construction sites in the past. His dad was all disappointed, but I told him!!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:55 AM

I work on a drilling rig and we normally go through 60 hands a year. That is mostly lease hands and ruff necks that can't handle it.
Gordon
Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjet View Post
Hey guys, im 42 and would like to get a job as a leasehand, I m from out of province and h2s is over 320 here,, ive got family here so I cant make the trip and spend thousands unless I know im gonna get some work! Any advice would be helpful!!
Don't expect a company to spend several thousand to train you if you won't spend one thousand to take a few courses and buy a plane ticket.