Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2022, 06:58 PM

Question Estate sale ??’s

I’m dealing with an estate that has a significant amount of ammunition, guns and gun parts / accessories and reloading equipment.

I’m looking for some input on what the best place / forum would be to sell it all without having to individually list items and deal with low ballers, no shows and shipping.

I was thinking maybe getting a couple tables at a gun show? What’s the best one in Edmonton area?

I don’t want to load up and move it all without a good chance of selling a significant portion of it.

I look forward to your thoughts.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:13 PM

Give Wards auction a call . They do all the work and you pay them a fee, but no headaches for you.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:17 PM

Often it's simple to sell the whole works to one of the gun show guys it saves a pile of work and stress. I have connected a few people before with gentlemen I know and they have been happy with the reduced hassle. Shoot me a pm with where your located and I can maybe put you in contact with someone.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-14-2022, 08:54 PM
Banned

If you don’t want to move it. Sell on gunpost as lots. Don’t overprice anything. And someone will buy it. Separate it into 3or 4 lots and sell as is.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:47 PM

My only advice is, if you have a citori trap model, offer it to me first.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:50 PM

Gun show will run you a ~$75 - $100 bucks or more a table. Then there is set up, hassles etc. IF you can get in normally there is a waiting list and with c..vid not nearly as many shows to choose from. You may sell 50 or you may sell 0 depends on the day and how many "customers" are walking around with their hands in their pockets.

Ward's and other Auctions will charge ~20%-35% (some more) of your realized selling price. Accessories you are charged more, guns less. But with todays market it maybe a good choice.

Private buyers will offer about 50% of what they figure they can get for an item but most will take it all off your hands.

Yes, I know a guy!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:05 PM

From what I’ve heard about current auction prices, Ward’s sounds like a good way to go.
If it were me I’d be considering what matters most: getting full value and putting the time into it or ease of selling an estate and just getting decent value worth not putting the time in for.
I value my time for sure but this is a situation that can have many factors plus emotions with several people involved. Gonna come down to what you’re personally placing as priority/importance.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:54 PM

If you don’t want to load up and move stuff several times or deal with low-ballers and silliness I can’t stress this enough; don’t try to sell it at a gun show!!! I’m not sure the size of your estate but if it’s sizeable, it could take 20-25 shows and 5 years to liquidate it all. At a cost of likely $5000-$7500 without fuel, hotels, hamburgers, and your time.

Unless you’re willing to sell it at bargain basement prices, then you may be able to sell it at a show or three.

I find auctions hit or miss, and there is no guarantee.

Find a gun show buyer that will offer a reasonable price and if you are comfortable accept it. Likely it will be done and gone in a few days or a week depending on how many restricted / prohibs there are. No fuss, no muss. Just temper your expectations, they aren’t doing it for free.

The gun show guys are mostly regular Joes that really appreciate the firearms and the community surrounding them. They may have even traded or sold some of the very firearms you are dealing with. They are likely members of forums like this too. I am not one, but have helped a few in the past and it’s a lot of work.

Good luck to you, and sorry for your loss.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:21 AM

Would you be willing to quantity a "significant amount of guns"?
I know people who think 6 is quite a few and 100 isn't that many. If we're talking 100+, you'd probably be going to several gun shows to get rid of them unless your prices are really low and an auction might be the way to go. If you've got 10, it's not enough for an auction and if you can get in, a show might be more suitable. Broker or average Joe might be interested as well.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
From what I’ve heard about current auction prices, Ward’s sounds like a good way to go.
If it were me I’d be considering what matters most: getting full value and putting the time into it or ease of selling an estate and just getting decent value worth not putting the time in for.
I value my time for sure but this is a situation that can have many factors plus emotions with several people involved. Gonna come down to what you’re personally placing as priority/importance.
I have been buying a few rifles and scopes off Wards, seem alright to deal with.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:45 PM

Look into Extreme Range Outfitters in Saskatoon. they auction stuff that goes for ridiculous prices. Fees are reasonable.
https://www.extremerangeoutfitters.com/
Old 01-17-2022, 01:10 PM

Advertise "precious items" privately on here and gunnutz with an asking price.
Take the "left overs" to an auction for a final clear-out
Old 01-17-2022, 01:49 PM
Banned

I don’t know if he is serious. I have pmed him with a possibility of selling everything. No response.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:54 PM

he has had a few to many pilsners
Old 01-17-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
I don’t know if he is serious. I have pmed him with a possibility of selling everything. No response.

Thats not what he was asking. He was looking for the best place or forumto sell and did not want to deal with individuals.
Probably why he never responded.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Thats not what he was asking. He was looking for the best place or forumto sell and did not want to deal with individuals.
Probably why he never responded.
Best place? Where they are currently located. He said he didn’t want to load and haul the items. Well, he doesn’t have to.
He never said he didn’t want to deal with individuals. He said he didn’t want to sell the items individually.
How much better does it get then selling all to one individual and he picks them up????????
Old 01-17-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
X2 if you know some item sell for a decent amount and high demand just listed here , actually try selling here then what ever don’t sell just take it to auction I don’t know the fees but I was told it 30%+ for some items depending on final price .
Old 01-17-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
X2 if you know some item sell for a decent amount and high demand just listed here , actually try selling here then what ever don’t sell just take it to auction I don’t know the fees but I was told it 30%+ for some items depending on final price . Or take it to cabelas
Old 01-17-2022, 08:59 PM

Thanks for all the info guys.
I got a pile of pm’s I haven’t been able to reply to them all.
I guess I need to get it all a bit more organized and itemized to know what the whole lot is worth to the estate.