Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2022, 06:00 PM

Default Case trimmer

I was looking at the Lyman universal trimmer.

I reload 300wsm, 300 win, 30-06 and 30-30

Currently I am trimming by hand. I twist the case by hand against the cutter. I dont reload a ton, but Ive had about enough of this hand/finger twisting......

Am I making a huge error with the Lyman....its on sale for $119......just a hand crank on it.....better than my current set up

There is an RCBS one too....same deal....

Am I overthinking this?

Let me know.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:13 PM

I like my RCBS. Simple to use.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:23 PM

I use one and have had no issues with it. I wish they didn't use aluminum for the handle, ok one issue.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-14-2022, 06:28 PM

Default Lyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Currently I am trimming by hand. I twist the case by hand against the cutter. I dont reload a ton, but Ive had about enough of this hand/finger twisting......

Am I making a huge error with the Lyman....its on sale for $119......just a hand crank on it.....better than my current set up

Am I overthinking this?

Let me know.
I use this trimmer and like it. But I would highly recommend getting the power adapter with it. This allows you to attach your drill. Makes the job a lot quicker/easier. The adapter was around $30 when I bought it maybe 5 years ago.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Am I overthinking this?

Let me know.
I use a Lee lock stuff and pilot style, I hold the case in my hand and chuck the cutter in a portable drill or my drill press.
Works super and is a fraction of the cost of the other trimmers I have which are a Herters, Forster, and Lyman.
I only use the Forster these days if II am neck turning.....
Cat
Old 01-14-2022, 06:49 PM

That is very similar design to the RCBS trimmer I've been using for 30+ years. If mine cratered today, I would buy another one tomorrow. The only improvement I would like to see is micrometer style adjustment markings on the threaded bushing. It would be faster to setup when changing between cartridges.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2022, 06:56 PM

I too now use the inexpensive Lee hand trimmers (with a cordless drill)... Have one for each caliber... Easy, accurate and so much less frustrating than my Redding 2400 Trimmer that sits on my bench and mostly collects dust... The 2400 is very frustrating as the collet used to hold the case is hard to operate with repeatability.. Often get varying results... I do not recommend the 2400....
Old 01-14-2022, 07:35 PM

Been using the Forster trimmer and neck turner for a little over 30 years now. Has worked very well with no issues.
Used to use the Lee hand trimmers, but that grew old real quick.
Hirsch has them in stock at $130 plus pilots at $7 each.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:51 PM

This is a really good trimmer. You will need to mount it on something and it will require case holders. But probably the best trimmer for the price.

https://lewilson.com/stainless-standard-case-trimmer

-Billy Molls
Old 01-14-2022, 07:58 PM

I have the Lee ones but felt that I was not getting things quite true. I also could not get one for the 204 ruger at the time.
I went with the Lyman and really like it. I find that if I have one brass that is the right length it becomes my set up gauge.
I like how it centers the shell in the primer hole and just a quick 3 cranks and things are good.
I did purchase the Lyman chamfer tool kit at the same time. It includes large and small primer pocket cleaner, the inside and outside deburring tools as well.

I did have to purchase the 204 centering piece separately.

Works on the big brass very well holding it in place.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:18 PM

I have a rcbs, Redding and the lee hand twisting pilots and cutter for every caliber I reload...
I modded my lee set up to work in my rcbs case prep center. The cutterhead is mounted in a socket with the threaded rod to attach to the prep center... the pilot spindle faces up and I just give the case a push into it to cut it.. its super fast and every bit as accurate as doing it by hand.
I much prefer the rcbs over the Redding as it's faster to load/ remove cases.. the handle is held on with a allen head screw. I made a 1/4 inch bolt to fit the thread pitch so I can take the handle off and use a cordless screw driver with nut driver to run the cutter.. simple simple

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2022, 09:38 PM

For the casual reloader I agree with Cat! The Lee cutter and case holder will run you around $20 bucks and additional cutters were about 6 bucks or so. I put a thread bobbin on my cutter head so I could hold it easier, a golf ball or something similar would work just as well. Just drill the proper sized hole and glue the tool into it. PS one cutter will do multiple cartridges so a one time purchase.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:44 PM

Default lyman powered

removed handle, drilled tapped and added motor, Works fine.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:52 PM

This is what I run, because all your rifles are the same caliber one 3 in 1 is all you need. Trim, chamfer and deburr all in one step. If you go this way you will need the long base trimmer base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVO6xYuKkX8

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2022, 10:27 PM

I use the frankford arsenal case prep trimmer. I’ve probably had a few thousand cartridges go through this set up by now. It’s easy to set up and once I get going with it I can do a few hundred cartridges at a time.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
I use the frankford arsenal case prep trimmer. I’ve probably had a few thousand cartridges go through this set up by now. It’s easy to set up and once I get going with it I can do a few hundred cartridges at a time.
I have that one also
Super easy and fast
Old 01-15-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This is a really good trimmer. You will need to mount it on something and it will require case holders. But probably the best trimmer for the price.

https://lewilson.com/stainless-standard-case-trimmer
I had one of the Wilson trimmers with the micrometer adjustment. Accurate but painfully slow changing out each case in the case holder and then having to chamfer and debur after. I ended up getting a Giraud Powered Case trimmer a few years back and it has been the best investment in reloading tools I have made and has paid for itself many times over. Takes about 1.5 seconds to trim, chamfer, and debur a case. Does all three at once.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
I had one of the Wilson trimmers with the micrometer adjustment. Accurate but painfully slow changing out each case in the case holder and then having to chamfer and debur after. I ended up getting a Giraud Powered Case trimmer a few years back and it has been the best investment in reloading tools I have made and has paid for itself many times over. Takes about 1.5 seconds to trim, chamfer, and debur a case. Does all three at once.
But it’s 6 times the price. Of course it’s an improvement. I was trying to suggest something close to the budget being looked at.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-15-2022, 09:45 AM

Am I the only one that pulled the crank off the rcbs and slapped my cordless drill on the end. Eats brass like a fat kid eats smarties.

Oops I see bpk and others beat me too it………so x10

Last edited by Homesteader; 01-15-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:09 AM

The RCBS Case Prep Center isn't cheap, but it is fast, and it chamfers inside and out, and cleans primer pockets.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:01 AM
Shooting Xs

He's doing .30 cal. the Lee trimmer powered will do the trick, either the Forster or Lyman universal with the drill adapter would be more than adequate for his purposes and repeatable enough for his intended use.
I've had the Lyman AccuTrimmer, not the universal, didn't perform well enough for me. The FA unit that attaches to a drill that indexes off the shoulder got tried and sold, to much tolerance slop.
I went with the Wilson after the Lyman, tried the FA unit for none target cases thinking it would be quicker.
Long story short I'm with Chuck, the Wilson may be slow but it is accurate, repeatable and more importantly ,it cuts the case mouths square which is lacking in models that index the case mouths from pilots that don't fit snug and allow for a poor fit.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:07 AM

I also have one of the Frankford arsenal ones that goes on the drill. Every bit as precise as the hand cranked one I used prior and much faster and easier.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Am I the only one that pulled the crank off the rcbs and slapped my cordless drill on the end. Eats brass like a fat kid eats smarties.

Oops I see bpk and others beat me too it………so x10
This is what I did. The RCBS Trim Pro has the simplest system for holding the case head. I have trouble with the adjusting collar, though. The fine threads galled somehow making adjustments with pliers necessary but it still works ok. I'd prefer a different system to adjust trim length.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
That is very similar design to the RCBS trimmer I've been using for 30+ years. If mine cratered today, I would buy another one tomorrow. The only improvement I would like to see is micrometer style adjustment markings on the threaded bushing. It would be faster to setup when changing between cartridges.
When changing cartridges, I just chuck a trim length cartridge in the trimmer, loosen the set screw on the small collar, and push the shaft and cutter against the case mouth and the collar assembly tight against the shaft bushing, tighten the set screw, ready to go. Minimal adjustment for trim length.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:50 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
I also have one of the Frankford arsenal ones that goes on the drill. Every bit as precise as the hand cranked one I used prior and much faster and easier.
I'm glad it works for you, maybe I got a lemon, but there was too much movement in the unit for me and it being designed to index off the shoulder to get to trim length means your base to Datum line measurement needs to be BANG on from case to case or there will be inconsistent lengths.
So ,it depends on what you're after for the particular cartridge. Hunting only or Bench rest/target comp. brass prep I guess, also how much spare time a person has and how many cases done at a sitting is a determining factor.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:44 PM

Nor sure what you do for chamfering and pocket cleaning, but, if you are still doing it manually, fix the whole works at once, grab a Lyman or RCBS case prep ctr, a Lee adaptor and use the Lee cutters on it. Or grab the Lyman or RCBS trimmer and an RCBS 3 way cutter, and the only thing left to do is pocket cleaning.