Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 08:17 PM

Default Alatriste - a spectacular historic war movie

If you can only watch one movie this year make it this one.

Spanish with English subtitles.

This is told from a single Spanish soldier's point of view in the 16th Century and the 30 Years War. There are themes of loyalty, faith/redemption, honor, with different layers of each.

Lead character is played by Viggo Mortensen who speaks fluent Spanish (he plays Aragorn in Lord of the Rings). All the actors are amazing.

Photography is a hobby of mine and I can say the cinemaphotography is outstanding. The framing of the scene at 1:02:30 is right out of a classical painting. Actually the entire film looks like a Rembrandt.

It's free on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX-y87nmZnc

An unbelievably good movie.

Last edited by tranq78; 04-11-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
If you can only watch one movie this year make it this one.

Spanish with English subtitles.

This is told from a single Spanish soldier's point of view in the 16th Century and the 30 Years War. There are themes of loyalty, faith/redemption, honor, with different layers of each.

Lead character is played by Viggo Mortensen who speaks fluent Spanish (he plays Aragorn in Lord of the Rings). All the actors are amazing.

Photography is a hobby of mine and I can say the cinemaphotography is outstanding. The framing of the scene at 1:02:30 is right out of a classical painting. Actually the entire film looks like a Rembrandt.

It's free on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX-y87nmZnc

An unbelievably good movie.
Viggo is a great actor. I would love to watch t.his movie in English... the reading of the subtitles takes away attention from the screen....
Old 04-12-2021, 03:39 PM

Great movie. I watched years ago and have it on DVD. What is interesting in their culture words have consequences and you may get called out and dead as a result in a duel. They had professional duelists to fulfill this market.